We have ice at least an inch thick on everything! It looks like something out of a fairytale book. PSanf and I had no electricity for most of the day. Trees are falling and taking out power lines everywhere.

He came over here and we heated with candle stoves until his power was restored. Fortunately, being Pagans, we have an almost unlimited amount of candles around so we could hold out for quite awhile if we needed.

Well, it was fun sitting around building makeshift heaters out of coffee cans and heating water for noodle soup on them. But, I sure missed the computer. We didn't get much done on building pages.

36,000 people still have no power in Lexington, Ky.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Ah, yes, Ice storms.

I remember I was working at the Brattleboro Food Co-op deli when we had a big ice storm seven or eight? years ago... Inch of ice on everything... We had more people coming in for luch than usual, since so many people in remote areas didn't have power, and wanted a hot meal.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's been ages since there's been a real ice storm here. I remember the beautiful looks, though...as you said, like a fairy tale--it was great as long as it didn't get so heavy that large tree limbs came down. And if the power stayed off just long enough to close the schools (but not tooo long) it was aces...

"Heated with candle stoves??"

Brrr, that sounds cold! I wouldn't think that even 20 candles would produce much heat. Enough to cook over, yeah--the heat'd be concentrated enough--but I shiver at the idea of trying to heat a room or a house that way!

*remembers to take big Duraflame logs out of trunk and considers getting some real wood ones to go with them*

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

45,000 people in my town still without power!
    No w*rk for me this whole week!! Must build web sites!!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Back in Oct. 97, Lincoln and Omaha were considered disaster areas after an overnight ice storm. Started as rainfall.

The trees still had foliage. The rain stuck to leaves and froze, more rain and snow froze to the existing ice. After 6 hours or so of this cycle, there's enough weight on the branches to rip them off the trunks, taking power lines and entire utility poles with them. A co-worker described his street as "Beirut without gunfire".

The arterial street near my old apartment had 3.5 lanes of traffic blocked, thanks to fallen branches. The remaining half-lane (and sidewalk) were reserved for emergency vehicles.

Natural disasters fascinate me, so I went for a walk that morning.

Our problem is the falling trees. They can't fix the lines until they clear the debris away. But as soon as they fix an area, more trees fall on the lines. Now, there is a thaw and the bent over trees are snaping back up and breaking!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark. Pics of my town 1

Pics of my town 2

ABW Ambassador
    Consider yourself lucky you didn't get this:
    http://hpccsun.unl.edu/nebraska/OCT97SNOW.html

Yep, it's sure been a doozy, alright.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread