I just got a phone call from someone purporting to be from the Republican National Committee who said they were calling on behalf of my Congressman XXXX who wanted to give me an award. I told her that any Congressman who wanted to give me an award obviously didn't know what they were doing. She then said that it was really for my business. I told her that my business was not worthy of any award either. She then said thanks anyway and hung up. What the heck do you think that was? I think it is some kind of telephone scam.

Last week there were a series of calls from "Dunn and Bradstreet" trying to get all kinds of information about my business. They called 2-3 times a day until I threatened them with legal action if they didn't cease calling.

(Yes, I AM a registered Republican)

(This comes under the heading of I certainly wouldn't date a man desperate enough to date me! I have my standards!)

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Let me guess, it was from Tom Delay’s office and he wanted to make you honorary vice chair for your state for his business council. You would get a gavel and a signed picture of the congressman and a copy and pasted press release. The best part is that you would be invited to many events (travel at your own expense) where you could meet people like the Vice President and have a chance to talk to them about your concerns.

I got the same call a few months back. They didn’t hang up on me, but I’m sure they didn’t like me asking the questions I did. Like “Where did you get my name?” I was told that that information was confidential, but that I was on a list given to them by the Senator. “What Senator?, I asked. “Tom Delay is in the House.” “Uh, uh, your name was on a list. So you’re not interested?” “No”

I did a little research and it seems to be at least semi legit. It’s a fundraising ploy by Delay and the RNC. They give people this award in exchange for a contribution. And you get invites to go to DC for gatherings and such. It does sound like influence peddling to me, but they’ve been doing it quite successfully for years. The funny thing is how honored some of the recipients think they are. I’ve seen people put it on their resumes and issue a press release on their websites. Now I just have to say one thing to that. If this “honor” was offered to me, it ain’t that much of an honor!

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

Yep! That was it. I guess they think a sucker is still being born every minute! LOL

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    If that's the way they feel about constituents, imagine what they think when they craft legislation!

Ummm forgive me for saying this SSanf.. but you're a *Republican*??

Frankly I had you down for a lily-livered pinko liberal like myself!

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

SSanf wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (This comes under the heading of I certainly wouldn't date a man desperate enough to date me! I have my standards!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

I almost choked swallowing my drink when I read that! It was either that, or clean up my screen!

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ummm forgive me for saying this SSanf.. but you're a *Republican*?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't life full of surprises, though?

For your information, I didn't think much of Clinton, either. Maybe, I am just hard to please.

Further insight, while haveing every sympathy for those in true need through no fault of their own, I never liked the wefare bums bred by the bleeding hearts and have always felt the Republicans, until recently, were more fiscally responsible.

ABW Ambassador
    Dun and Bradstreet is as legitimate as legitimate gets.

The phone call, though, who knows?

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Wierd never got a call like that.

Jason
    Santa Cruz

GOP drive puts a price on honor

LOL

I've gotten both these calls... Played along with the D&B call, they just wanted information that you would expect from a listing service - Industry, focus, scope, etc - and verifying owner's name and business mailing address, which are on the business license and a matter of public record anyway.

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

Hello SSS (hehehe),

I am extremely perplexed about the call from Dunn and Bradstreet services. Our service is and has been listed in Dunn and Bradstreet for 2 years now.

The only way Dunn and Bradstreet calls any service is because they need additional information on a submitted application to generate your Dunn and Bradstreet ID#.

The only other way that I can remotely think of that might cause them to call you is another Dunn and Bradstreet member complaining of a service posting false business information to their service and they are making an official complaint.

I would highly recommend your contacting Dunn and Bradstreet at 1-800-234-3867 Monday - Friday 8AM - 6PM. There URL is: Dunn & Bradstreet and inform them of this call and see what they have to say about this issue.

Please let us know what transpires.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

In my situation, consider that the state licensing agency fudged my business name, and I had to have them reissue my license with the correct name on it.

D & B took the corrected name from me.

I still have yet to recieve a single piece of with the correct business name they all come in the original goofed business name.

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread