I'll start...

I, personally, think cats are digusting filthy creatures. I will cling to that notion in spite of the fact that I have been observed petting them and enjoying their shenanigans.

My wife has two cats. I have none (the cats will attest to that). But my wife's cats live in our house so we have to co-exist.

'Tigger" is the biggest and the oldest. One morning, about eight years ago, my wife and I were awakened by what sounded like a cat fight directly under our second-story bedroom window. It went on for hours and, with daylight, the two of us went to investigate.

What we found was not a cat fight, but a starving, shivering kitten that was HOWLing louder than any cat I had ever heard .I was the one who finally caught it. We took it home and bathed it, fed it and tried to find a home for it.

Well, the whole family caught ringworm from the kitten. But, we finally got that under control (several hundred dollars later). By then, the kids had fallen in love with the critter and I was doomed to having a cat in the house.

There is a saying:

Dogs look around and think to themselves, " They feed me and care for me; they must be Gods".
    Cats look around and think to themselves, " They feed me and care for me; I must be a God".

Doc

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." -- Phillies Manager, Danny Ozark

Yeah, sure Doc, my husband claims to hate cats too. But I catch him petting them, calling one "baby" and they sleep by him at night.
    He is the one who feeds them and changes the litter box, talks to them, takes them to the vet, yet he "hates" cats!

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

True here too,

The other of my wife's cats seems to prefer my side of the bed.

Inexplicable

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." -- Phillies Manager, Danny Ozark

ABW Ambassador
    I hate the little disgusting animals too. They are lovable and all, but, I don't like living in their filth... My parents have a cat and I avoid going there any more as I must be allergic to the hair or something on that cat.

I miss my dog ... lived out doors! Too bad about that firecracker accident.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

Totally useless critters. All they do is drop fur everywhere they lay, plan the figure four criss cross attack between your legs when cooking and try to get you to either fall over, or feed them. (pretty sneaky I'd say)

They stink the house up with the cat litter box and literally lick themselves in places best not mentioned here.

Exactly what purpose and/or benefit does this totally useless critter do for anyone? I have not figured out yet what people see in the lame critters.

DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

ABW Ambassador
    Cats ROCK!

CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks! CJ Rocks!

Cats are so sweet. They know when you need to snuggle or need love. Much less mess and smell than the average man, I actually prefer cats!
    They also make good footwarmers in bed.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    I never wanted a cat. Ever.

Then one morning I heard some meowing when i went to get paper, i thought it was the neighbors cat, so I was ready to shoo it away. Instead it was this tiny kitten.

She had no hair on the back of her legs and was thin as a rail. After about an hour of sitting with her, we opened our door for her. She was fine, jumped on my lap while I was working and then it happened.

Blood, everywhere. nonstop. We picked her up, put her in a milk crate and rushed to a cat hospital. The vet said we should put her to sleep (but then I thought, how good could the vet be stuck working at 2am at the vet hospital?) we said no, paid $225 for the visit, some antibiotics and a shot that ballooned her up with water.

Next day took her to another vet, told our story. Vet charged us nothing. Said she would be okay, but we had to leave her outside for 2 weeks while she healed, since she bleed and stained our hardware and stone floors.

We thought for sure she would run away, especially since every eight hours I had to force open her mouth and shoot medicine down her throat. Took her to the nice vet after two weeks, got her spaded and fixed the bleeding issue (she had a miscarriage it seems).

Since then, she has never left our house. The other day when I was upset over the credit fraud, she did what she always does. Jumped on my lap and started purring and trying to get me to play.

She has taken over a section of the bookshelf behind my desk as her nest to sleep while i work.

It is hard to remember life before the cat. I can't think of anything more calming than a cat jumping in your lap and purring.

Chet

Chez,
    I know exactly what you mean!
    A few years back we had a stray cat make our porch home, along with her kittens.
    One day we noticed one of the black kittens was dragging his leg. Heard from the neighbor kids that one of the neighborhood kids had done some pretty nasty things to this cat.
    Well, we were really broke at that time, had trouble even getting enough food to eat ourselves, but we dragged the kitten off to the vet. Ended up with a cast on it's rear leg for 6 weeks. So of course since we had invested so much in this cat we had to take it in. Had to wipe it's cast off after every visit to the litter box, but what the heck.
    When our son was born, he stuck close by, sleeping by the crib as if to guard the little guy. Even took a lot of rough play that a toddler can dish out but always came back for more.
    Ended up being the best pet we ever had. Luckily when our house burned 6 years ago he was outside on the porch and wasn't hurt.
    Then about 3 years ago on halloween he disappeared from our back deck. Guess the old black cat went out to party and couldn't drive home.
    Every year I still hang his free pets.com nametag on our Christmas tree in a place on honor.
    We now have 2 other cats, one a stray we picked up and one a friend had to get rid of.
    As I type they are both here sitting right by me. With the long late hours I put in, they are the only ones willing to stay up with me.
    Cats just have a calming effect to them. I have seen many so called cat haters won over once they get one!

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

I have a cat. He is no. 3. My first cat was named Baxter. While I was out working one day as an Underground Utilities Locator I went in this one yard in a trailer court and was surveying the work area. The lady of the house was out in the yard and pointed out a little kitten laying in the grass on the other side of her fence. She said it had been on her side of the fence several hours earlier but she moved it. It lay in the same spot she had put it hours earlier. I thought it was dead. I watched it and saw it move just a little. That was enough for me. I picked the poor thing up and cursed the cold-hearted B**** quietly as I walked back to my truck. I drove straight to the vet. By the time I got to the vet the little guy was moving around pretty good. Anyway, to make a long story short, that was the absolute best cat I ever saw. 6 months later I went to the pound and got Baxter a companion: Grady. 8 months later Baxter was dead. I found him under the big tree in the back yard. I'd seen him fall out of it before. This time he didn't land right.

It was now just Grady and I. Grady was a good cat. While I had Grady I got Calvin from my friend Tiffany. Her four dogs were treating it like a chew toy. Calvin got real sick about 6 months ago. I found out he has Feline Leukemia. He got better though. He's running around fat and happy. At the same time Calvin was sick the vet tested Grady. Grady tested positive for Feline Leukemia too. Grady was almost 14 lbs. When I had him put to sleep 2 weeks ago, he had whithered down to less than 8. So, now I just have Calvin. He sits up here on my desk next to the pillow I put up here for him. He prefers to lay on the hard desk and use the flip calendar as a pillow. I am not looking forward to the day I have to put him to sleep too. I don't have too much luck with cats.

ABW Ambassador
    I am still, even 2 years later getting used to a cat vs a dog. Our old dog always loved car rides - i thought the cat might.

Not.

I let her loose in the car, about 2 minutes into the ride she jumped into my lap, put a paw on each shoulder and just howled. Looked me in the eye, howled again.

I turned the car around. Twice more i tried, always the same result.

steveinid, i have read up on feline leukemia, scary stuff, now that I work out of my home and my girlfriend is going back to school, I don't know what I would do without my little cat running around demanding i lay on my back next to her on sunny days and enjoy doing nothing.

Chet

ps. Anyone who does have a cat, I suggest something a client told me to try. Cat day. For one day, just be your cat. When she eats, eat. when she naps, nap. Play - play. Cats have the pacing down for how life should be. We try and have cat day a couple of times a year.

Here is another Cat Story. When It was just Grady and I, I was on the floor playing with him. It was about 10:00 at night so It was dark outside. My curtains were shut and there was no way for any outside light to come in. While playing with Grady, he suddenly spun around and stared in the direction of the dining table. He had acted just like cats do when they hear a loud, unexpected noise. Only there was no noise. All was quiet. I looked up to see what had startled Grady. I was rather curious. Anyway, moving between the legs of the chairs was a shadow about the size of a cat (Baxter???) It moved along for about 2-3 feet and then just faded. After the shadow disappeared, Grady turned around and acted like nothing happened. I had goosebumps. The room wasn't dark, there was plenty of light. The table was about 8 feet away. It was just he and I.

oooh, spooky.

ROTFLOL! Talk about tough love

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    My wife wants a cat but can't have one because I'm allergic. Make that "I could die if exposed to cats for longer than 24 hours".

When I was a kid, my mother raised cats and did the whole cat show thing. Most of the cats lived in a separate building, but there was one that became a house cat. We also had an Amazon Parrot at the time. It looked a lot like Mike’s. Meanest damn bird that ever lived, and jealous of anything that got more attention than he did. One day the cat was napping on the bar, and the parrot decided that it was time to strike. He slowly snuck up behind the cat and just watched him sleeping for a while. Then when the time was right and the cats tail was in range, the bird reached down, chomped on the cats tail, and promptly flew away. From that day on, the cat was terrified of anything with feathers. He never napped on the bar again. And he would always make sure he knew where the bird was before coming out from under the couch.

One more cat story, sort of. Like I said, when I was growing up my mother had the building where she raised her cats. Now I went to a Catholic school, and one night while she was taking car of the cats, one of the Nuns called. I was probably in first or second grade. The Nun asked for my mother, and I replied: “She can’t talk right now. She’s working in the cat house.” I don’t remember why the Nun called, but for some reason, she never called back.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    We have two cats. They used to be insode cats, but 'Paws' and I had a little dispute as to who was the dominate individual in the household. I tried and tried to keep that cat off the kitcen counter, it would wait until I left then pop back up there. I would come back into the kitchen, she would STARE at me, then run off as I approached.

So after three weeks of this, I caught the darn thing, stared right into her eyes, and tossed her outside, heh.

We now know who the dominant animal is in the house: my wife. Errr, I mean me.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

Affiliate Manager
    Never thought opf myself as a cat person- but after two weeks in a no pet apartment- I was desperate for any animal. Now- I can't imagine not having Pita- yes, it means just what you think it does.

No good cat stories though- I think she's above that. She is the alpha in a house full of large dogs though.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.diamonds-are-forever.org/cat.jpg lol. I like it.

PITA nice name.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

A parable for non-Pagans

Adam and Eve said, "Lord,
    when we were in the garden, you walked with us
    every day. Now we do not see you any more. We are lonesome here, and it is
    difficult for us to remember how much you love us."

And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you that will be
    with you forever and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that
    you
    will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or
    childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you
    are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourselves."

And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam and Eve.

And it was a good animal.

And God was pleased.

And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and Eve and he wagged his
    tail. And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the
    Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal."

And God said, "No problem. Because I have created this new animal to be a
    reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own
    name,
    and you will call him DOG."

And dog lived with Adam and Eve and was a companion to them and loved them.

And they were comforted.

And God was pleased.

And dog was content and wagged his tail.

After a while, it came to pass that an angel came to the Lord and said,
    "Lord, Adam and Eve have become filled with pride. They strut and preen
    peacocks and they believe they are worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed
    taught them that they are loved, but perhaps too well."

And God said, "No problem! I will create for them a companion who will be
    with them forever and who will see them as they are. The companion will
    remind them of their limitations, so they will know that they are not
    always
    worthy of adoration."

And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam and Eve.
    And cat would not obey them.

And when Adam and Eve gazed into cat's eyes, they were reminded that they
    were not the supreme beings.

And Adam and Eve learned humility.

And they were greatly improved.

And God was pleased.

And Dog was happy.

And Cat didn't give a sh*t one way or the other.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

We rescued two cats from the shelter. They were brothers, and on account of their size we called them Mr.Thin and Mr.Fat. Then the former gained weight, and the latter lost it. So in the spirit of Prince, we had to change the names to...

The cat formerly known as Mr.Thin
    The cat formerly known as Mr.Fat

Unfortunately, my wife developed a cat allergy which nearly killed her, so her parents took them on.

I miss having cats around.

We decided to take the boat out one weekend and cruise the islands. The weather was clear, a typically beautiful picture-postcard day on the water.

By mid afternoon the weather had turned foul and we ended up in the midst of the 'mini' cyclone.
    Standing in the wheelhouse, with Fat Cat in his catbox I could see Rescue choppers pulling people out of the water. It was rough, even in a 40' steel hull monster when you rode the crest of a wave it was like looking out of a 20 storey apartment building.
    Fats just sat calmly in his box staring at me with his big green eyes.

After 3 hours we pulled into a safe harbor.
    As I started to tie the ropes I saw Fats stumble onto the deck, swaying like a drunken sailor, he then stuck his head over the side and threw up! Pretty cool cat I thought.

Then he stumbled over towards the jetty, guess he figured he'd had enough of water for the day.
    Just as he had his two front paws on the jetty and his two back ones still on the boat, the ropes came loose and a wave swung the boat out.

So there was poor Fats gradually being stretched out like a cartoon character, facing the inevitable.
    You could almost see the smoke coming out of his claws as he desperatly tried to hang onto the jetty while being stretched.

I will never forget the look on his face, especially when he hit the water!

...he's hated me ever since LOL!

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread