I have started up a summer campaign on google in an attempt to bring in users,, and hopefully, my first sale. the products I am offering range from grills, outdoor speakers, swimming pool games (water basketball, etc) and grilling accessories. It seems that every 5 minutes my keywords/ctr/impressions slow down, and on every 3rd slow down google deducts $5 from my credit card, at a rate of $5 every 15minutes this is proving expensive and useless. I have changed keywords umteen times, and the current keywords I have are
    bar
    bar equipment
    barbecue grill
    charcoal grill
    cook book
    drink recipe
    entertainment center
    gas grill
    george foreman grill
    hot tub
    hot tub spa
    mixed drink recipe
    outdoor
    outdoor furniture
    outdoor lighting
    outdoor speaker
    recipe
    smoothie recipe
    spa
    summer recipe
    weber grill
    wireless speaker

These reflect the items that I am trying to promote. heres the page for my Summer Campaign

I am really getting quite desperate and im begging for any help..

I have also signed up for overture, and BCentral. my adwords campaign is currently paused ( I cant afford the $5 every 15mins )

Please... any help would be a godsend.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    i just took a quick look
    my very first impression is you have some very generic terms that obviously if using google or others are going to be a nickle or more per click

I think you need to target your words more specifically as you have done with the odd word such as george forman grill etc, but can probably target even more
    There must be 3- 4 of his grills. Why not target each grill and make some keywords for each specific one?
    Your pages sort of contain a mix of products, so a better choice of ppc words are going to be needed or more pages with a more narrowed focus for each page. IE : a page for BBQ's a page for coolers, a page for patio accessories etc etc
    I look at such a thing as your choice of "recipe" and it is way too braod of a category to just bid on recipe as it just that word alone will more likely just bring people looking for recipes vs wanting to buy anything
    Maybe on cheap penny listings you can get at other places you can get traffic if that is what you need, which can be benefiacial also, because sometimes those visitors will buy now or in the future, but at .05 and higher your going to go broke without more targetted visitors at google and the more expensive ppc places

ABW Ambassador
    What walleye said. With Adwords unless you're doing a branding campaign try to be as targetted as possible. Might not get as many clicks but probably higher conversions and sales. Instead of the list above just copy and paste the products you have on your page:

"WESTINGHOUSE saladXPRESS eSalton"
    "iCEBOX FlipScreen KITCHEN ENTERTAINMENT"

That kind of thing.

thanks guys, I assume I should leve all the keywords set to "Broad match" also?

Hope this helps

CPC Clicks Impr. CTR Avg. CPC Cost Pos
    $0.10 0 1,105 0.0% - - 4.6

ABW Ambassador
    I would keep away from the broad match. That's basically letting google decide what keywords and variations they think are relevant from the keywords you pick. Broad match being keywords without any brackets. I would stick with the "keyword" (phrase match) or [keyword](exact match) Most of what i do are "keyword".

Ok, I added every item name on my pages, choose the "Phrase" option, and my clicks went from a mere 5 to none,

I tried to picture how I search for terms, and most of the time, I rarely search by specific name, (Im a bargain hunter, if i can find a propane grill that costs less than a more sought after name, I jump on it,.. but if I also see 2 propane grills and one has more features and is a lil more pricey, then the one with more features is what i chose) I honestly dont know what the secrets to success are, and I am gratefull that now instead of shelling out $5 every 15 mins, I am now paying $0 every (who knows,) mins.

Ive been brainstorming all day for what I or any consumer would type in when searching for items when throwing a summer cook out, or summer party, but the words I come up with are in a sense too broad.

well, I really look forward to any suggestions.. becuase I truelly need it.

thx all

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    use the overture or good keywords or some of the other web tools available

I mention the two above because they are free or free trial

thx, I have been recommended the good keyword program and thats how i generated my first batch of keywords.

one valid question i have is... does google project your keywords based on how much you bid? becuase I have used keywords that have extremely high search requests, but adwords tells me the forcast is very low. and those same keywords that were listed as top search queries are the ones that are slowing down and cuasing the $5 fine for bieng slowed.

ABW Ambassador
    The way i posted above works, the more targetted the better. Sometimes what Google forecasts: how many clicks and what position isn't always the case. Go thru your site, copy and paste the products you have on your site, plug them into your adwords and let it go for a week, then come back and post how it went. Won't get as many clicks as the general terms but you have a better chance at making money.

Some of the stuff you posted above i would drop. All the recipe keywords. You can get a recipe for anything online for free. Those keywords won't make you any money. I would never do Adwords for books. Low ticket items with usually a 15% commission or lower, not worth it IMO.

I would be interested too. I am about to spend some money on advertising (been a long time), and want to see if that was successful.

Fred

ok, will do.. I have left everything as it is,(phrase match to specific items represented on my page) and I will keep you guys posted. thanks to everyone that took the time to help po me..

thx again all...

Will keep in touch

TrustNo1 gave some good advice, really target those keywords. Don't get discouraged by the low number of clicks.

Try to develop a list of a 100 or more keywords/phrases and the clicks/sales do add up. I took a quick look at your site and you should easily be able to come up with 5-10 keyword combos for each product.

I know there isnt a particular number of words you can put in as a keyword for either overture or google but for your set of keywords submitted, how many do you submit? I believe my max is 4 words. Any one do more or less?

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread