For some reason while reading this thread I got a little nostalgic for my sites of yesteryear, and with a little digging around with the Wayback Machine, I found my earliest site here - about 2 years into its life.

I was wondering if anyone else had their first sites still in the Internet Archive? It's just like going back in a timewarp

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

The archive hasn't been around long enough to have my earliest sites from 1992. One even won the coveted "Cool Site of the Day" award.

(Back then there were so few sites on the net that I think everyone had a turn at being cool site of the day )

I did have the very first fantasy sports league web site on the net, wish I'd patented that idea!

Mark Mitford

As Mark is in the registrar biz now, I would be really interested to hear from him some of the first domain names he registered and when. I know some people have made absolute bundles re-selling their early domain registrations.

I didn't get a computer til 1999 so I was little late in the domain name game though I have a bundle now. My first reggie was in december 1999.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

ABW Ambassador
    LOL - That Wayback Machine is a real confidence booster for me ...

When I see just how ugly, stupid and lame my first attempts at a website were, it makes me feel like i'm an old pro - but that's just not the truth... One of these days I hope to look back at my "current" sites and get the same feeling of achievement .

There is always room to grow

I like looking at old, familiar sites on the Wayback machine. Google, AltaVista and Yahoo are some good ones. Amazon doesn't work properly though. eBay sort-of-does.

The very FIRST page I did I had to do in a text editor and preview in Lynx.. no graphics in those days for me! Then I had a copy of PaintShop Pro 3 and Lview (?) to make the GIFs transparent. Accessed the whole thing in Netscape 1.2, which fitted on to two floppies.

Finding stuff on the Internet in those days was *hard*. Yahoo! was always a good place to look, but there was no Google or AltaVista, so the best SE was probably the Webcrawler. No ODP until 1998 either.

AltaVista was a *huge* improvement. The idea that a search engine should be able to go through millions of pages in a couple of seconds and come up with a list of results that were half useful was a revelation.

And then came Google..

________

DUDE!

My thesis!!!!!!! that the new sys-admin at my old school accidentally deleted because it was mistakenly marked as a former staff/faculty site (thesis sites are supposed to stay around forever.) It was #1 on Google for "Evolutionary Graphics" Now if you type that in, you'll get a list of pages with dead links to where my site used to be...

If you check it out, keep in mind that even though this is from the 2002 archive, the site hadn't been updated since 1998...

http://web.archive.org/web/200202041...ome/index.html

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

[This message was edited by SirenSong on March 19, 2003 at 06:03 PM.]

Well heck ya need to publish it again somewhere! I never got to write my thesis.. they kind of took objection to me at University as being too much of a slacker

________

my first website (well, page really) for myself is still in existence. And no, it's not the one below.

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread