I have had a little bit of success in the past with affiliate programs by directly advertising my affiliate links in a few PPC engines.

I finally have had my first site created, boy was I excited, my eyes were gleaming with dollar signs(yeah right ..lol) I wasn't really expecting huge conversion rates because I run a directory site. I am now ranked in Google and I have a #4 ranking on an obscure term that best describes my site. I am able to get a steady flow of traffic from a few PPC's to my directory site but it converts at a fraction of directly advertising my affiliate links.

I do believe that my site has potential, but I think I must be overlooking a lot of things due to inexperience.

I don't think I am allowed to put my url in the post, so I can't show anyone my site, but if anyone has any suggestions, tips or can direct me to a good marketer I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Rob

Hi Rob
    you can put the url in the post, people don't do it often because they are scared someone will steal their ideas - sad but true, it happens, I've had stuff stolen a few times, best to stay anon.
    but as you're just starting out and looking for help and ideas I think you're safe enough - I mean, to be blunt no ones going to copy a site that's not making dollars - so up to you.
    from what you posted, I would suggest you go after a broader selection of search terms - like pick a market and target the top 40 terms in that market, with one page per term or per set of similar terms, focus each page on that term, but not in a 'spammy' way - focus the page on providing the visitor with an info packed page about that term/product/whatever, with some pics, text and affiliate links where the lucky shoppers can get their hands on this cool stuff you're promoting. design the whole site - from the page layout and content, to the navigation menu, to the home page - with the visitor in mind - it's a true thing, if you build a site that works for the site visitors then it will work for the search engines too
    just my 2c

Hi Spacewar

Thanks for the great answersI really apreciate your feedback! my site url is http:inkdirectory.net

Hi dedelus,

Your No.1 Site in most of the Listings is 123Inkjets. They are "infected" by parasites.
    It's may be one reason, why the ads for your Site convert bad.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

ABW Ambassador
    It's converting bad because all of the inkjet merchants you have listed on your site have coupon codes you could post on your site which will help with conversions. If you use those in conjunction with what you have now, you will convert better.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

ABW Ambassador
    How many visitors do you get per day? You picked an incredibly difficult area to sell. There are so many sites dedicated to ink cartridges that you are competing against a lot of people doing exactly the same as you.
    How much money are you making? I started back in July 2002, but didn't make a sale until September (only made a handful in the entire month). Now I have salesevery day. It takes time

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Thanks for all of the great answers!! I am not sure how to protect myself against the parasites?

I have heard about coupon codes but don't really understand how they work, I will work on figuring them out and implement them...

I get between 40-80 visitors a day (as of recent because my site just got indexed in google a few weeks ago). I could get more PPC traffic but have bid low on all of my terms because of the bad conversions.

I have only had 5 sales so far. I get better sales with similar ads at the PPC's and another directory site I advertise on. Thanks again for the great tips, my designer is also trying to figure out a strategy to help push things.

ABW Ambassador
    Coupon codes are just codes your site visitors can use to get a percentage or dollar amount off their orders. Example. 10% off any order using coupon code INKJET. You can type in coupon codes in Google and get some for your site or email the merchant for some. Most inkjet merchants use them. During checkout there usually is a box for a coupon or promotion code where your site visitor can input the code to save money. You might be losing some sales because when your site visitor clicks one of your links and is ready to checkout, they might see a place to type in a coupon code and if they don't have one, they might go elsewhere to get it.

May all your ups and downs be in bed

Hi Dedelus,

I would try switching the merchants around until you find which one converts the best.

123inkjets is having a good sale right now but isn't converting no where like it should. IMO because of the phone number listed all over the site and more importantly them encouraging the customer to call for the free stuff and shipping. It's still converting though.

00inkjets stopped converting for me a long time back.

4inkjets - a sale rolls in every now and then.

Inkjetexperts took off like a rocket when I first joined their program and then stopped completely.

Allink - does fairly well. I think if they tuned up their site a bit it would do better but doesn't do too bad.

Have you tried Print Pal at Befree. They probably convert the best for me. Might be worth a shot.

Pretty much all the ink merchants are with Parasites so unless your will to give up the catagory its just a matter of finding which ones work for you.

You should be getting at least 1-2 sales a day with that traffic if its targetted.

I would move some of the merchants around, starting with Printpal.com on top, followed by 123, followed by allink and then whatever. Of course make sure that they have what your visitor is looking for. JMO and good luck.

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

Thanks for the great advice I have added some content under printer reviews. I have added coupons and rearranged ads. I have also applied to PrintPal but still havn't heard anything. My traffic is slightly increasing and my Alexa rank seems to be jumping up fast. So maybe my google rank will also with the next crawl. Sales are still slow so far, but like cjshoppingnetwork said, it takes time.
    Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the help.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread