I'm in the process of making a service like upromise except people buy products online from different sites and they don't get college money but gets them free, better education tools, like books, audio tapes and more+ Gift Certificates offered randomly because they were loyal to shop though our site. the education tools would be similar to personal growth and not math, science and stuff we used in school, which in my opinion was worthless. So basically they don't waste there money on binder paper, pens, pencils, etc that are wasted within couple months but get books which last longer and enhance there education. So basically it's a combination of school,shopping,discounts,member community and rewards all in one? what do people think? our site would offer a huge forum offering the following features include Subscriptions
    Printing/Send to a friend abilities
    Forum statistics,View today's posts,Avatars
    Buddy List, BBCode/HTML/Flash Abilities
    User Ranks, Flood Control
    Who's Online, Sub Forums, Polls
    Attachments ability
    Moods
    Private Messenger Inbox/Outbox
    Moderators, Super Moderators, Administrations and Super Admin
    Board News, auctions, and a lot more. 24 hour news, Educational message board, Learning Free fun education with tests and quizes maybe and more. People don't understand the valuable education you can get online. and I think It would be cool. Teach people about personal Growth, How to communicate and talk to people.. relationships, etc? what do others think. Let me know. I think this would be awesome and it would light the way to lean more though our service then though free (education) in elementary and High School. here's a sample of a book I would sell and/giveaway free to loyal shoppers, Which I read and I like Alot!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Thanks,

Jason
    Santa Cruz

ABW Ambassador
    nevermind

ABW Ambassador
    I think you need to get FOCUSED. What exactly do you want your site to be? If its not a freebies site, then buy a new domain. Take some time and find a design you like, instead of changing the whole layout every few weeks. The site your're talking about is one where you need some venture capital behind it, and i honestly don't think anybody would go for it. Its not something you can do on your own successfully. You have good intentions which is great but you're trying to do WAY TOO MUCH, and it seems very disorganized. You need to get FOCUSED.

"the education tools would be similar to personal growth and not math, science and stuff we used in school, which in my opinion was worthless."

What???? What's that mean? Math, science and the other stuff is part of a curriculum, kids need to know that if they want to graduate. Personal growth is great, but so is graduating school and getting a decent job and that stuff is not worthless. Plus you have to take into consideration parents will not go for an "education" site where you message is that math, science and other stuff is worthless.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on April 11, 2003 at 10:14 AM.]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Jason,

I tell you...if I had you here in front of me I'd probably have to shake you silly. Enough already with you saying you want to make your site like UPromise, Ebates, and whoever else you've said. Why in the world would you come to ABW and say you want to be like one of those sites???

What you seem to be saying when you describe what you have in mind is that you want to do an incent site. That's all it is...an incent site. In this particular thread it seems what you are asking is if that particular book would be a good incent to use with your visitors.

If you are gonna go the incent route, a few words of advice:

1. Don't even go past this one until you figure this one out. Are you going to stick with this idea for your site? You change the direction of your site more times than many people change their underwear. If have to be definite on this one and stick with it! You will land yourself in a heap of trouble if you offer accumulative incents to your visitors and then change it a month from now. You will alienate the loyal visitors that you do have. You could well open yourself up to flame emails from your shoppers and complaints filed with such organizations as the BBB.

2. Research, research, and the research again how to run an incent program. Technically the accurate tracking of these types of programs is involved. Don't expect your visitors to forward you the info about where and what they bought. That's not for them to do, and you wouldn't be competitive with other incent sites. You have to have a secure, reliable, and accurate backend system on your site to do this tracking.

3. Visit other smaller incent sites already doing the same thing and see what they are doing. What looks good, what doesn't. No offense to you, but you are not Ebates or UPromise! Just don't even go there with your thinking. Those companies have millions in venture capital to get those sites in place. You don't have that type of money. Be realistic and think about what is really feasible for you to do. Start there and then build upward.

4. As far as that particular book goes....who cares what you personally like? Again no offense. But that's not here or there. You are talking about incents for your visitors. What is important is what THEY like. Offer what is attractive to YOUR visitors. If you don't know then ask them and find out. Put up a feedback form or a poll. In fact ask them if a reward type program would even be appealing to them in the first place. If you are going to go through with it, then give them a place to sign up to be notified once the program is live and in place.

But for goodness sakes Jason, make a decision about what you want your site to be, then stick with it! You've never had a particular focus to your site up long enough to know if it will really work or not. Change can be good, but you've got to have something going long enough to be able to make an educated decision about what is really working and not and why.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Thanks everyone for the feedback, You are right, Don't have the time to make a incentive site, so I'm going to only focus on selling products.

Jason
    Santa Cruz

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread