ABW Ambassador
    I saw a commercial on tv for the local homebrew supplier. I mentioned casually to my wife that it looked like fun.

x-mas morning, there's a kit from wal-mart to make four 6-pint batches of beer. Got me started at least. The end product tasted like stronger budweiser. Hey, it's the thought that counts.

I bought a book (and $40 worth of tools, containers) and went to work making real beer a couple weeks ago. I tasted the fruits of my labor last night.

My first 5-gallon homebrew (Wheat Beer):
    -7lbs John Bull wheat malt extract (2 cans)
    -1oz hallertauer hops
    -Wyeast 3086 "Bavarian Wheat Blend" yeast
    5oz corn sugar (priming)

Short instructions: boil the extract/hops in 1.5 gallons of water for an hour, pour into fermentor, top of with enough boiled and cooled water to make 5 gallons. Add yeast, wait a week, prime and bottle. Wait another week, enjoy.

I've had a pint of Ayinger's Brau-Weisse (considered the best wheat beer in the world, I found it locally for $3/pint at the liquor store) and Boulevard Wheat. Mine falls somewhere in the middle. It has the creamy finish of Ayinger's with a little more banana flavor (I'm not sure this is a good thing), but on the whole, better than Boulevard. I'm going to wait a week before drinking another to see if the banana flavor settles down.

Next: either sweet stout or india pale ale.

ABW Ambassador
    mmmmmmmmm

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

Mmmmm....

Been thinking I need new hobby...

The yeast in Bavarian 'weiss' beer does give it a banana-y flavour.

Try Radegast if you get a chance.

ABW Ambassador
    Rad: I read about the banana-y flavor, but I wasn't expecting to make "Monkey bait".

I read that fruity esters can come from "underpitching" yeast, so the yeast go into overtime. Perhaps I should follow the "yeast starter instructions" on the back of my "smack pack" next time to tone those esters down, get closer to the Ayinger flavor.

Nah, forget it. While I didn't achieve "perfection", it's better than anything I can afford in mass quantities (Boulevard Wheat, Sam Adams Weiss Bier, etc.). I'll work my way up to that level later. Must do another style first...

Now to parlay this hobby into affiliate marketing...

my brother used to make beer in his basement. He had a standing deal with several restaurants to save champagne bottles along with their little corks and wire nets.

Sometimes the brew would explode in the middle of the night and scare the living bejeezus out of everyone upstairs. But, what survived was delicious beer.

I have many fond memories of watching football with my brother with a champagne bottle of home-brew in hand.

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." -- Phillies Manager, Danny Ozark

ABW Ambassador

With The Beer Machine, you can have your favorite fresh beer ready to serve in just 7 to 10 days! Great tasting, naturally made fresh beer. Click here

Would anyone care to support Cyclone~? Link available upon request
    I'll even split the commish with ya~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclone:

With The Beer Machine, you can have your favorite fresh beer ready to serve in just 7 to 10 days! Great tasting, naturally made fresh beer. _Click here_

Would anyone care to support Cyclone~? Link available upon request
    I'll even split the commish with ya~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL. this was the very first merchant that I put up links for!
    Had about 3 sales in over 2 years. I still think the links are floating around somewhere.

Edited to remove exposed link per request of Cyclone

[This message was edited by BLFH on April 15, 2003 at 09:38 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> LOL. this was the very first merchant that I put up links for!
    Had about 3 sales in over 2 years. I still think the links are floating around somewhere. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I did pretty well with them listed on another site.
    Also, you've exposed my link. Could you please remove it?

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    Woops, sorry about the link. I just pushed 'quote', and it must have appeared due to the image.

Pete

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not a big fan of Beer Machines. The malt extracts that come with a Beer Machine or Mr. Beer are 30% corn or rice (like BudMillerCoors). Personal bias would get in the way of sales.

Those kits would be awesome for building a huge yeast starter should I want to make a Russian Imperial Stout or Barleywine ale, time to go garage sale hunting!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Looking at the beer machine (not knowing how it is actually being used), if it is just all done in the one container and then tapped, that is pretty bad. Most homebrews have quite a bit of sediment at the bottom, I wouldn't want to tap my homebrew the way pictured unless it was strained, and even then.

Best thing for home brewers, a couple of those old 5 gallon glass water jugs. The place we got our bottled water from would sometimes have the old glass ones mixed in with the cheap plastic. They only charged $5 for not-returned jugs, an amazing deal.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Chez: I think the spigot is high enough off the bottom that the sediment stays out of the stream. I wouldn't drink straight from the machine, though. If it's designed right, it would serve up flat beer. Priming and bottling makes it frothy!

I don't use glass "carboys" for fermenting: I brew in the kitchen and ferment in the basement. I have this visual of glass shards and sticky malt water all over the staircase.

I use an "Ale Pail" (7.5 gallon food grade bucket fitted with a lid, airlock and spigot) since it can make it to the basement in one piece.

Glass wouldn't be bad for a secondary fermentation, though: it would stay in the basement.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread