ABW Ambassador
    Just curious as to how everybody got started in affiliate marketing. I had a friend that was doing a little bit of this on his college homepage. At the time i had a great site(page) a Prodigy homepage with all kinds of animated gifs everywhere, a place where visitors could leave comments (your site sucks) rotating text, all the good stuff. My friend had a little coupon site going where friends, family, and students would shop at. After seeing some of the checks, i got interested and eventually quit my job and started to do this full time. At the time i was making less than $200 a month, kinda of a risk but its paying off now. Just wondering how everybody else got hooked.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    I was looking for a pair of shoes and came accross Ebates. Never heard of them before (this is back in July 2002) They were going to give me 7% back for buying from Shoebuy. I looked into it a bit and thought if Ebates can get paid, why can't I? So I developed my own website (not a rewards type though)
    I have now earned more commission from Shoebuy than my original shoes cost.
    I have also learned that Ebates are an affiliates worst nightmare. Why go through Ebates when you can do it yourself?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Our company owned the official James Michener site and had used Amazon to sell books for a few years. When I came over to the online division, I decided to explore other possibilities as part of our operational plan. Still small, but some growth potential, too, in the overall scheme of things.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

I was watching the late news and there was this new super book store online --Amazon.com. Not only would they be cheap and the largest, but they offered this new thing called an "Affiliate" program where webmasters could make a percentage of sales.

I honestly think I'd signed up before the story was over

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I was sitting in the library surfing one day, DESPERATE to come up with a way to avoid enduring any more employment, when I saw a link on a site that said, "make money with your site"!

I had seen these kind of links before and ignored them, but I was looking for anything that'd keep a j*b away from me! I had already set up a little c*ntent site (using the library computer) so I figured, "hey, wtf" and clicked the link. It went to a Snare merchant and I signed up.

That was my beginning. It said if I could sell the item, I'd get paid. I tried just putting a few banners up--like it said--and found that that made...EL ZIPPO!!! I realized that it was never going to work *that* way...

Then one day I was at Hitbox checking my traffic stats when I saw a GoTo ad. I clicked it, and opened an account. For the first time, I had something valuable on my site--namely, BUYERS, lol! And buy they did. Too bad the Snare merchant didn't want to PAY, the no-good crooks...

Needless to say, that no-pay bit got old real fast, and I was soon looking for another network after getting the same nonlucrative result from a few Snare merchants. Sure, the figures looked great there but I can't spend money that only shows in the acc't manager!!

Shortly after resuming the search, I found CJ. And soon after that, I confirmed their promises of payment when the Deposit showed up! (Going back to [glorified slavery] w*rk was not something I considered an option--NO WAY! Plus, I'd seen that there was money in this biz...all I needed was a place that actually knew how to cut a check or hit the Direct Deposit button!)

That was the beginning. Eventually I got a computer at home and a paid-hosted site (the first one was at Angelfire), and from there progressed to lots of sites and a more powerful computer.

~Revenue is King

[Edited by Leader for formatting and clarity]

[This message was edited by Leader on April 29, 2003 at 04:25 PM.]

About seven years ago I had a site that I had designed for my wife's business, selling products she made. She closed the business four years ago and I held on to the domain name for about two years occasionally trying to sell it, for as low as $100.00, but no luck. Figuring the domain would sell better if it was an active site, I decided to build an online directory of companies that sell the products we used to sell. Months went by and I one day happened to notice one of my listed companies had a link called "Affiliates" I clicked on it, joined CJ and put the new link up on the site. The link was buried deep in the site. Months went buy and finally a first sale, then another. Soon I was making $10 a month ....Woopeee, at least it would pay for the registration and hosting.

A slow learner, it hit me one day that there may be other companies out there with affiliate programs. The rest is history. Now I have eight domains currently making money, with about 10 new ones waiting to make their first dollar and about 15 other domains under construction.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

ABW Ambassador
    After being dumped from my job about this time last year, I decided to take the plunge into web publishing. I had enough of corporate politics and limitations on earnings and working on stuff you don't necessarily enjoy doing.

I reserved my sites domain name back in 2000, but the sprawling content on the site would take too much time to create while employed and having only 2 weeks of vacation a year.

But, once unemployed with lots of time to spare, I decided to press on, living on savings. I actually didn't know affiliate marketing existed until May of last year when I stumbled across a link on a merchants site somplace - which lead me to performics (the site was initially meant to be a place for specific advertisements by fishing guides and such). I then soon after found Amazon, Allposters, Linkshare, CJ and BeFree.

Looking back on it, dedicating 6 months to this project seems crazy and risky in hindsight (I didn't do anything but work on the site in one way or another for basically 6 months straight, with no info other than what was found on ABW and WebmasterWorld and Amazon). But, eventually, the site got fully indexed and traffic started coming. First sale was in November.

When I first learned about affiliate marketing, I set a goal of making 2K in May 2003 - which was what I was making at my old job. Made this a first year goal. Not quite going to make it this April (but darned close), but hopefully will make it in May.

Affiliate marketing requires a ton of work to do it right, but once done, it is a wonderful way to make a living. For the past month, i didn't touch my website as I was out-state visiting my Mom. Yet, still made a nice sum of money as well as not having to beg/plead for time off from some crotchy corporation.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    I like the fact that you can do what you want and when you want. I could leave my site as is and go tour the world for a couple of months and come back and pay in a whole bunch of checks Or I could spend the time building building and more building and pay in a whole lot more
    Bye bye to working for someone else

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Make that NINE sites making money. Since I posted my earlier message about an hour ago one of my new sites made it's first sale!

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

I had been looking for a work-from-home job for years, but all I found were scams. Then my sister bought a computer and I thought that if I learned to build web sites I could become a web designer and work from home.

I bought Elizabeth Castro's "HTML for the world wide web" and learned to build pages from there.

I build a site for someone (for free ) and build a couple of other content sites of my own in order to create a resume to show to potential clients. Then I saw on "call for help"
    from ZDTV (now called Tech TV) a family whose members were "affiliates" for Amazon and were making thousands of Dollars per month selling books from their website. I went to Amazon and signed up. I added the links and thought it would be that easy. But I never made a sale

So I thought that was another scam and forgot about it for months. Then I thought I'd give it another try and looked for more things that I could promote. That's when I found CJ

I started getting leads almost immediately, though it took a few months to actually get my first check. I've never made more than a few hundred of Dollars, but still I'm very thankful and happy that I found something where I'm getting paid every month, and that may even eventually (soon I hope) make me a wealthy woman!

My story mirrors 7-days pretty much.

I created a directory site and paid for it out of my own pocket for a couple years. Since it was a directory site, and I already had links to a couple stores, I tried signing up as an affiliate at one, just to get the tracking info about how many people were following that particular link.

WOW! That many?

And then came a check or two - enough to pay the hosting fees, so I was happy.
    The dot-com bubble burst, I lost my job, and I had 6 months on my hands. Still kind of new to the affiliate concept, I worked on a strong content management engine, with easy management of in-stream ads.

It took an additional 12 to 18 months to figure out what sells in conjunction with this content line - but when I found that killer combination, it really took off. Now I have a formula, and I've added a couple more sites.

I'm back at work, more than full time, on an international rotation - so I do everything from overseas, but keep my home address in the US for the business address (and for checks). If / when I get time I add a few more pages, but the sites are pretty stable right now. I guess I could quit and devote full time to it and make a comfortable living, but I'd miss the contact with other people.

Besides, I'm on a CIO / CEO track right now, and I don't want to jump off the rails until I've had a chance to play that role for a while too.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

I was the Assistant Web Merchandising Manager for theEarthShop and basically that also entailed packing boxes. They were sick of listening to my marketing and biz dev suggestions so they came to me one day and asked me to manage the affiliate program. That was the beginning of a great future!

Lizabeth Cole
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    www.GiveAnything.com
    518-426-0909
    liz@giveanything.com

Well I first started when I was in Junior high about 8 years ago or so. was in a computer class. I was just surfing the internet and I found a link on how to make money. I read a little about web design and stuff but I felt like I had to try something new :0) so without parent approval I got a free website at tripod.com before they added there annoying popup ads :0( and started a free clip art site, I was starting to make some serious money. but when the dot coms blew up my revenue was dropped about 75%. I quickly decided to get a domain(freebiesforever.com) and web host and was just fooling around placing banners online, however I wasn't doing to well. so I got into cj's discussion boards and learned quite abit. of course $ was increasing at that time. Now it's starting to increase and it's because of the members of this board!

Jason

"I can teach anybody how to get what they want out of life. The problem is that I can't find anybody who can tell me what they want." -- Mark Twain

Jason
    Santa Cruz

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread