Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Anybody interested in getting a long productive thread going about getting traffic to your site? Pretend all your sites just vanished from all the SE's and PPC didn't exist. Where would your traffic come from? I'd like to see people posting in this thread just throwing out ideas no matter how crazy it seems and then we can discuss them. There are affiliates out there that could care less about the everyday ups and downs of se's. Just because our business is online doesn't mean we can't generate traffic marketing it offline. I'll throw out a few ideas to get started, no matter how crazy it seems, just throw it out there.

Flyers - I used to make money doing this in middle school when i lived in Germany for my dads club (army) I would go to different apt. complexes and either hang up flyers or put them in the mailbox. Flyers are pretty cheap. There are some small time family grocers where i live. Pay the owner some $$$ and have the bag boys put your flyers into the shopping bags.

Sponsor something. There is a some kind of dog festival every year in my town with people setting up tables selling just about everything for you dog. I was thinking of contacting a pet merchant, get some free stuff to hand out along with my site url, pet coupons featuring the merchants giving me the freebies to hand out.

Just a couple to get started

Affiliate Manager
    one of my favorite suggestions- the kindness factor
    -scrape windsheilds in a parking lot and leave a flyer
    Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Strategic Development

(IAN) Interactive Affiliate Network Representing:
    www.hotels.com
    www.travelnow.com
    www.vacationspot.com

Affiliate Manager
    freebie "newspapers"
    -call yourself an expert and write a free column- use a good tagline and make it relevant- a dating advice column for a personals site for example
    Jessica Hutson

www.hotels.com
    www.travelnow.com
    www.vacationspot.com

Affiliate Manager
    ads on your car - If you have a cool car or a cool ad, this can create press as well
    Jessica Hutson

www.hotels.com
    www.travelnow.com
    www.vacationspot.com

Affiliate Manager
    donate- some ad space donated to a local PBS auction will get you press on the station
    Jessica Hutson

www.hotels.com
    www.travelnow.com
    www.vacationspot.com

Affiliate Manager
    radio interviews- local talk radio is often looking for a new angle or interview
    Jessica Hutson

www.hotels.com
    www.travelnow.com
    www.vacationspot.com

ABW Ambassador
    nice ideas, one that has worked for me
    local tv, especially around the holidays. I remember local TV around the holidays talking about deals and where to go, i just emailed them telling them about my site, figuring local tv would support local business and it worked great. Advertising on car good, bumper stickers, signs, if you want to go all out get it wrapped.

Great Idea Trust

I always wanted to paint a sign on the moon.

ABW Ambassador
    Good idea, i'll pay an astronaut to go plant a flag of my site. Maybe Mars too

I've had a content site of mine mentioned for free in a New Zealand internet magazine and I noticed an increase of New Zealand traffic for a couple of weeks. Based on that, I would think that putting an ad (classified, sponsored, etc) in a targetted magazine or newspaper section could pay off.

The cost would depend on the distribution of what publication you put the ad in, but a local mag or newspaper would be a good place to start.
    I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast with a major, and I mean "major" leaflet campaign.
    Arnold J. Rimmer : Jupiter Mining Corporation

We did couple of donation gathering (I can't think of what you call it right now! lol...)

We donate some goodies that we buy from our sites and order some stickers and banners and thousands of papers that explain what we do and put our site/s on it and give it to people that attend the seminars or something, and got lot's of candies and give those to kids and grown ups too if they want!

Look through your mail that have all the junk mail and see where you can find places that is having a donation for church gathering or something related to that and offer your support!
    You kill two birds in one stone! (no Mike I don't kill birds. lol...) 1- you help donate and 2 - you did your advertisement!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I listed a buncha stuff in a similar thread. One thing I do that I haven't mentioned, kinda silly maybe, but I always include my business card in with bills that I pay. I mean why not - I'm already paying for the envelope anyways. Probably just gets thrown away, but hey, it's just one of a million tings I do.

It's payback in a way, for all those ads they send me with their invoices.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    I like that idea, very cheap to do, i can do some nice ones with my printer. Business cards, flyers very cheap.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got one of my sales domains as a sig line on my checks.

I don't know if anyone looks, but I figure that there may be some employee somewhere bored enough to notice it...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I carry a stack of business cards in my purse and everywhere I go that I see cards, I leave some of mine.

Grocery store bulletin boards, front desk at the insurance office, Walmart bulletin boards, etc.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Crop circles Lotta farms in my area, pay a farmer to let me use his field, little local media converage. NBC, ABC, CBS, pick it up 8 yr old boy finds creative way to advertise his site.

Good Thread. I'm going to try going the newsletter route and see how that goes. I'm paying for a monthly license to host a free Bingo game online. Signups have been pretty good so far.

I've done the bumper sticks which I really don't have any stats for as to how good that worked. I've been meaning to give the signs on the car a shot which I'll probably do in the next month or so. Most likely the magnet signs on each side. That seems like a winner with a short and easy to remember domain name. Business cards I do and even was brave enough to drop a bunch here and there at the NYS Fair one year and did notice a pretty good increase but probably wasn't the best idea. I was surprised I never got a call from the state asking me to pay a venders fee or something. Even had the kids handing some out that year at the fair

I also might try having a sign made up to put in the yard during rush hour. Something that can be put up for a couple of hours and then removed each day. I'm sure there is some kind of zoning laws against it so that might work for a bit
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Any reason why you couldn't put post rpoduct reviews etc on forums and link them to that page? I know there are forums for almost every topic these days and this would be a good way to obtain a large amount of visitors everywhere rather than just locally

ABW Ambassador
    Somewhat easier I think for content sites. Links on related, quality sites. These links must offer a reason for a visitor to visit and of course offer something the linking site's owner feels worthwhile enough to redirect his visitors to.

DMOZ got my initial traffic flowing to some of my content sites.

And though I've never participated in any, web rings.

Wayne

Jessica - great ideas

Trust-Along the same lines as crop circles I once in a while will create a really wacky/topical site or page in the hopes other sites/forums will link to it.

If I were to do one right now I would probably photoshop some Courtney Love pics.

I had one of my sites mentioned as the site of the day on a TV station web site.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

If all of your sites suddenly dropped from the search engines? Other advertising is good but search engines will always be the best. Affiliate sites are dropping in google, but check teoma. If your page is optimized I bet it does great over there. How many affiliate are there? Do we not have any power as a group? If we all put a teoma search on all of our sites people would know this engine exisited. Would it make a difference?

ABW Ambassador
    "Other advertising is good but search engines will always be the best."

Yep, most affiliates will get their traffic from SE's. But i just wanted to have a thread to explore ways of getting traffic using offline marketing of our sites. Most affiliates don't even try this and just rely on the SE's. They don't even think of using offline methods to get traffic to their site, when it is very possible to be successful at affliate marketing getting no SE traffic, of course SE traffic is always nice

My sites have been mentioned in dozens of magazines and newspapers, several TV shows, and a few books. That kind of free publicity is priceless, but it's also impossible to solicit. I usually don't even know about it until after the fact.

I have promotional business cards and pens. I leave them everywhere I can. I don't know how well they've worked, but I think they have.

I've found some newsletter advertising to be effective. Most isn't. I always get a good response when I advertise in the Internet Tourbus. They have a very loyal readership.

AdWords can work well, although I haven't done a lot there yet. It's just too time-consuming. I'd love to be able to automate it more.

Virtually everything else I've tried (and I've spent well over $100,000 on advertising) hasn't produced results.

Word of mouth has always been my biggest source of traffic. Build a site that people will tell their friends about and come back to.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just Lurking
    One of my customers, throws a party every year at first it was just some friends getting together but now he has several hundred people coming every year from all over the country. Many from magazines, newspaper, tv, local groups and organizations. Not only a great way to network but you can write off the whole thing as a business expense. Even though he's a merchant I bet affiliates could do this too.

He does this donut thing every month too. He goes around to local businesses that promote his product and drops off a box of donuts. Sort of a thank you. He really gets good word of mouth this way. I have no idea how affiliates could use this one. Just thought I'ld mention it. Maybe you could send someone like Andy or Haiko a pizza or a chinese dinner?
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast