Hi all

I've got three web sites currently.
    www.desktop-video-guide.com
    www.build-your-own-computers.com
    www.rc-car-zone.com

I've been trying to make money off the web for about 6 months now. Only my first site,
    www.desktop-video-guide.com is making money.

It signed up for Dealtime (they're con artists by the way, they promise $0.05 per click but deduct almost half your commission at month's end if they don't make enough sales)

I'm a bit disappointed with my performance with desktop-video-guide.com so far, but am not sure
    how to improve it.

I've tried placing TigerDirect product links and
    Amazon product links on my index.htm page and while that drives decent traffic to the affliate sites, they don't convert and make sales.

Guess my question is:
    1) What are some of the best practices for making money with content sites like mine?

2) What type of web sites make money using affiliate programs (niche content sites, shopping portals, etc.)

Thanks for any help rendered!

Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
    Learn how to create and edit your own digital videos!

Uh-oh ... sounds like another flaming content thread ... I think I'll just watch the initial sparks first ...

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    If Dealtime is a con artist, why do you promote them?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Q - What's the best type of site to build?

A - A profitable one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    It signed up for Dealtime (they're con artists by the way, they promise $0.05 per click but deduct almost half your commission at month's end if they don't make enough sales)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if they weren't con artists, it's not very good idea to promote another affiliate for a lousy per-click(dealtime) or per-lead(ebates) fee. You're supposed to sell the products for merchants, not help another affiliate sell them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjshoppingnetwork:
    If Dealtime is a con artist, why do you promote them?

http://www.cjshoppingnetwork.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I promoted Dealtime because I it's pay per click. Having $50 assured income per month is better than no sales at all through say, Tigerdirect?

Anyway, I really want some honest feedback on my websites and how to improve ... thanks!

Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyway, I really want some honest feedback on my websites and how to improve ... thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Try the site review section here @ A Best Web.

------------------------
    Webmaster Resources

Put a banner at the top of the page and the bottom of the page. Write or copy a few insightful articles. Put up a bulletin board to discuss the articles. Add a voting booth. Do a free advice column. Give away a bunch of free games. Add a top 100 links page. Design an "award" and give it to sites that link to you. Ask people to e-mail you with their thoughts on the topic and spam the H out of them with affiliate links. You should make a bundle, this way.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Remember when you began to be interested in video... So imagine yourself in place of your visitors today. They are interested in video cameras, video editing software. So offer them the best advice, tell them your opinion what product is better, what you recommend to buy and so on.

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

ABW Ambassador
    Why not sign up for Valueclick and get paid 10 cents per click? Get rid of Dealtime. They are just an affiliate site making money from the visitors you send to them, and then only paying you a crappy 5 cents!
    There are higher paying per click than a measly 5 cents

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Silly rabbit ...isn't Dealtime owner by some major Parasite BHO player. Smartbargains is also co-owned by AOL is is not an affiliate friendly player as they use very parasite in the book. SSanf pretty much outlined the normal entry level attempt at affiliate marketing.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Put some prodocts in your site. If you don't have any products listed, it can be difficult to make sales.

Jim

--------------------------------------

Hi Gary,

Please see my May 14 post as I explain how DealTime makes money. Regarding the deduction in your commission payment, BeFree's reports may have said you sent us $400 worth of clicks (I made-up this number) during the month of April but, if we only generated $300 in revenue from the traffic you sent us, we can only pay you 80% of revenue we earned from your traffic (i.e. $300*.80=$240). I believe DealTime is ahead of the curve in-terms of its ROI tracking ability as we can see exactly how much revenue individual users generate within our site and we can tie this number back to the exact traffic source. Yes, the revenue share cap stinks but is was a necessity due to the high amount of fraud that was taking place in our program. We implemented this revenue share cap and added it to our online associate agreement last spring. If you do not want to be subject to the revenue share cap, I can pay you on a different metric (I think you have a site in our program that's earning a decent amount of revenue on a per merchant click basis, no?). You should contact me directly if this is of interest to you.

On another note, with regard to your www.desktop-video-guide.com and www.build-your-own-computers.com sites, we have an XML feed that will actually display our merchant offerings on your Web site. This would work perfectly for the products you've written articles on and it should translate to higher revenues for you as your users will be much closer to our merchant offerings. Speaking of revenues, you, and the rest of the affiliate community reading this post, can earn some serious cash working with DealTime as we have the tools available to turn your users to merchant referrals. I can't list their names but some of my top partners earn between $1K-$10K per month from us. The latter part of this range can soar to +$20K during the third and fourth quarters because of the holidays. I don't not work with parasitic sites or tool bars. And, contrary to what Mike says, DealTime isn't owned by some major Parasite BHO player.

I can be reached via e-mail at swoodly@dealtime.com or by phone at 212.905.8102 if anyone would like to speak.

Thanks,
    Shannon

Shannon Woodly
    Manager, Associate Marketing
    tel: 212. 905. 8102
    fax: 212. 905. 8100

DealTime®
    Compare products, prices, and
    stores at www.dealtime.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by woodly:
    --------------------------------------

Hi Gary,

Please see my May 14 post as I explain how DealTime makes money. Regarding the deduction in your commission payment, BeFree's reports may have said you sent us $400 worth of clicks (I made-up this number) during the month of April but, if we only generated $300 in revenue from the traffic you sent us, we can only pay you 80% of revenue we earned from your traffic (i.e. $300*.80=$240). I believe DealTime is ahead of the curve in-terms of its ROI tracking ability as we can see exactly how much revenue individual users generate within our site and we can tie this number back to the exact traffic source. Yes, the revenue share cap stinks but is was a necessity due to the high amount of fraud that was taking place in our program. We implemented this revenue share cap and added it to our online associate agreement last spring. If you do not want to be subject to the revenue share cap, I can pay you on a different metric (I think you have a site in our program that's earning a decent amount of revenue on a per merchant click basis, no?). You should contact me directly if this is of interest to you.

On another note, with regard to your http://www.desktop-video-guide.com and http://www.build-your-own-computers.com sites, we have an XML feed that will actually display our merchant offerings on your Web site. This would work perfectly for the products you've written articles on and it should translate to higher revenues for you as your users will be much closer to our merchant offerings. Speaking of revenues, you, and the rest of the affiliate community reading this post, can earn some serious cash working with DealTime as we have the tools available to turn your users to merchant referrals. I can't list their names but some of my top partners earn between $1K-$10K per month from us. The latter part of this range can soar to +$20K during the third and fourth quarters because of the holidays. I don't not work with parasitic sites or tool bars. And, contrary to what Mike says, DealTime isn't owned by some major Parasite BHO player.

I can be reached via e-mail at swoodly@dealtime.com or by phone at 212.905.8102 if anyone would like to speak.

Thanks,
    Shannon

Shannon Woodly
    Manager, Associate Marketing
    tel: 212. 905. 8102
    fax: 212. 905. 8100

DealTime®
    Compare products, prices, and
    stores at http://www.dealtime.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Shannon

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm pretty unhappy about the fact that the 80% revenue cap was not explicitly stated upfront in the sign-up form, but was a 'small print' in one of the clauses.

Moreover, I feel DealTime SHOULD work with BeFree to display EXACTLY what an affiliate earns. The BeFree reports do not reflect that.

I was checking my reports everyday at BeFree and thought, "Wow, I'm gonna make a bundle at DealTime!". I was even thinking of opening ten web sites linked to DealTime.

Otherwise, if a newbie like me drives $100 worth of traffic in a given month, he or she WILL expect to get $100 and if he does not get that at the end of the month, he or she will be SORELY disappointed and it is not good for your program's reputation.

And I don't think I have "a site in your program that's earning a decent amount of revenue on a per merchant click basis" unless you're referring to www.desktop-video-guide.com.
    I'm actually interested in this XML feed so could you email me the details, thanks!

Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread