ABW Ambassador
    First Traffic Brainstorm thread was about offline advertising which will be my focus next year. Wanted to start a thread about traffic from online advertising/sources. Paid advertising and maybe some free. Not including search engines or PPC which we all know about by now. Cleaning up my desktop, getting all the notes i've taken throughout the year and wanted to get it all together and hopefully this thread we'll have a lot of good ideas, here are a few to start.

http://www.blogads.com
    Can search thru a number of blogs and you might find one that can send you some targetted traffic. I've tried it with mixed results, but will try it again.

http://www.adbrite.com/mb/
    Formerly known as Market Banker. Basically sites selling advertising via text links on their site.

Besides those, you can always find a site you might be interested in and ask if they have any advertising oppurtunities.

There are directories you can pay to get in like http://www.joeant.com
    Haven't tried that yet, but might.

Press releases:
    http://www.prweb.com/
    I know some here who have tried this, something i'm going to take a look at.

Free TV News Site exposure*
    Had some of this, nothing national, not quite there yet, but local TV news is a possibility which i've had some luck with. Local TV news likes to support local businesses. So if you have a site that might be of interest, let them know. These local TV news sites usually have consumer or shopping sections where you might be able to get a mention. You could also look into some paid advertising there.

*Can be both offline and online advertising so i put here too

Just a few ideas to start.

Great post and Ideas Trust.

Thanks for sharing!
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I made a section on one of my sites on how to remove spyware on a computer then I sent the url to the local newspaper. Its just a simple 2 pages but that was enough for a few thousand visits.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

What good is that traffic? They may come for the free information but do they buy anything is the question. We are in business to seel stuff. What we need is pre-qualified buyers.

I can get traffic all day long every day. I need buyers not lookers.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    "What good is that traffic?"

First of all it's free. I'll take any free traffic, targetted or not. Targetted is better but free is free. You might get a newsletter signup, you might get a bookmark, maybe they see something that they might not be interested in but know somebody who is and they pass it on. Also depends on what type of site you have. Some sites everybody is a target. If you have a site that saves people money, then anybody with a CC is a target.

Ssanf, i saw you mention sponsor a forum in another thread. That's a possibility. Any other ideas?

I am not in the selling business anymore and clean up computer is a popular contexual advertising term
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Well, if there is a popular grassroots forum about something you sell a lot, you might be able to tap in to those members and get ad links on every page as well as your own posts fairly reasonably. For instance, a forum about woodworking projects would be a great one to sponsor if you use Rockler a lot.

Also, you might have a strong resource for link exchanges with member sites after you post a bit and they get to know you.

Problem is it takes away time from reading and posting at good ol' ABW!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Talking
    Online Advertising:
    Banner ad networks - questionable, better to use for branding announcing purposes. Like a billboard on the road, especially the free networks.

Banner ads on sites - could and has worked very well with the right ad on a site with lots of traffic.

Pop-under exchanges - your ad could pop anywhere in the world. They say its targetted but its not geographical.

Text ads - will work very well on a site with lots of traffic.

Local directories - slow traffic but steady traffic.

How do I know? I've used them all.

Leveraging your trafffic idea. ( the dark side method )

Use
    2 free banner networks
    1 free pop-under network
    1 free text ad exchange network

For every two visitors you receive, you will get 4 exposures of your sites ads ( 200 visitors = 400 ads ).

By purchasing 10,000 ads on another pop-under network, I was able to generate 20,000 additional ads on the free networks, totaling 30,000 ads.

Yeah, I know. I was an ad 'Ho'. I'm going to get hammered for this.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    Great information. I just checked out adbrite.com and was disappointed to find that the site I was most interested in is not available right now (there is an error when I try to look at their site). Make sure you look at what you are purchasing to see how it works.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread