Hi - Any of you Americans here care to suggest some things to see?

I am visiting the US with my wife next week, and she's really keen to find a rodeo, pow-wow, baseball game to see. I've been searching the web, but a lot of info is out of date, so I thought I'd ask here...

We are in San Diego from the 16th June for 3 days, Los Angeles for 4 days, Las Vegas for 4 days, then Chicago for the last 4 days before returning home. Anybody know anything like the above going on within a reasonable car ride?

Or anything else we can't see in the UK?

Also my wife is starting a new business - making and selling dolls (1 /12 scale) and clothing etc. so if anybody knows any miniaturist resources we can visit at the same time

Thanks

Graham

hmm I think most of the rodeos happen in Texas. but I'm not sure.anyway I live in Calfornia but not in Los Angeles, I would be careful when you come to California. make sure you can afford to come here, food is probably more expensive and rent is quite high too. but of course LA is cheaier then where I'm from. anyway theres several abestweb members from that area, so they will probably help you more then I can.

goal: $5000 a month by 11/26
    Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

Graham,

Bad news on the rodeo, you'll miss it by a week or so. The big Finale is this weekend in Las Vegas at the MGM. I'm sure if you scan the web you might find some little, side rodeos somewhere. (Hint: They ain't all in Texas. But most of the Cow Tipping Events are ...)

In LA, you should see the Museum of Miniatures, it's located at 5900 Wilshire Blvd. (You're wife will love this) You can find more info about it on the web.

Just off the top of my head:

Don't schedule too much time for Hollywood - you'll probably be tired of it after half a day. (See the Sign, go to Manns, leave) But you might have to take one of those tour buses and just get it out of your system. It's alot more interesting to get in a car and drive yourself. If you do rent a car, I recommend: cruise Sunset west thru Hollywood, you'll pass places like House of Blues (by the way, HOB is a great place to see a show, Arrested Development on 6/20 and Ziggy Marley on the 21st), the Whisky (where The Doors began) the Chateau Marmont (where John Belushi died). Just west is Beverly Hills, go up Coldwater Canyon, and cruise west on Mulholland Drive, then south on Laurel Canyon, back down to Sunset and then head west. Sunset ends at the beach. Where Sunset ends, there's a place called Gladstones, great place to sit out on the beachside patio, sipping margaritas and watching for dolphins. Look for the one-legged seagull. Don't drink too much so you can drive north up the coast thru Malibu, another beachside place, Duke's, you can actually sit out there with your toes in the sand while you eat or drink. Now, you could continue north to Santa Barbara and visit Todd at Commission Junction but you should probably head back south and check out Santa Monica, walk out to the pier, ride the Ferris Wheel, win your wife a stuffed animal, walk on the beach, etc. While in Santa Monica, check out the 3rd Street Promenade. Lots of shops, movies and restaurants. There's some British and Irish pubs in Santa Monica if you feel home-sick.

Check the schedules for The Hollywood Bowl and The Greek Theater, I'm sure you've heard of at least one of these (The Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl). Excellent outdoor concert venues.

Lennox Lewis fights Kirk Johnson here at the Staples Center on June 21st.

If you're into baseball, Dodger Stadium is beautiful and I see that the Dodgers are hosting Barry Bonds and the San Fransisco Giants on June 19th and the Anaheim Angels 6/20-6/22. And when you're in Chicago, the Cubs and Sammy Sosa (provided he's not on suspension) will be playing their cross town rivals the White Sox. Unfortunately, that game isn't at the historic Wriggley Field.

To me Vegas has always been pools, beers and girls during the day and gambling, scotch and girls at night. I don't go to Vegas much anymore but I'm sure it will be hotter than Dante's Inferno. Like the late, great Sam Kinnison said: "It's a great place to live, if you're a f***in' baked potato."

I do recommend getting really drunk and going on the Big Shot - if it's still there - on top of the Stratosphere Hotel.

And Hoover (Boulder) Dam is about an hours drive away. It's kinda cool - if you're into mammoth chunks of concrete retaining water.

Hope this helps...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You can try www.ticketmaster.com to see what's happening where. They sell tickets to most (if not all) major events in the US, so they have an extensive database of what's going on, where it's happening, and when. I'm not sure if you can actually *order* tickets through their site (since you're in the UK), but even just looking at their schedule can be a help.

Good luck!

PS There are plenty of rodeos outside of Texas. But unfortunately, the ones up north don't happen in June!

~Revenue is King

Thanks for the replies - I'll try ticketmaster, I must admit I hadn't thought of that angle.

We've actually been to California quite a few times over the last few years, but we never seem to be able to find the events, I keep checking Google, but it's quite hard ploughing through all of the out of date stuff there, and I think we keep missing things.

Jason - If you think California is expensive, you should visit London England I'm sure we SAVE money when we go to the US!
    BTW I see you are from Santa Cruz - what about the Mystery Spot? We went there last year and I must admit I was really impressed, but I can't help thinking it was some sort of illusion.

My wife already has the Museum of Miniatures on her list! I think it was mentioned in one of the magazines she buys, but we like the idea of those bars on the beach! As for Las Vegas, I think I'm too old to go up the Stratosphere tower, and my wife has back problems anyway but I must admit I love the place. It's just so over the top and tacky it's great!!

We did the Hoover Dam (big block of concrete) and Grand Canyon (big hole), last year, so this time we really wanted to try for the rodeos, pow wows etc, rather than just the scenery.

Thanks again for the advice - if anybody thinks of anything else that may be worth a look please let me know. There's still a week before we go!

Graham

Don't even bother going to California that's not part of america. I think it's a European country or something.

Mystery Spot, good idea, that passed right over my head. it's about 5 1/2 hours north from LA, if you don't stop. Heyder hmm what are you talking about! California is great!

goal: $5000 a month by 11/26
    Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

lol

We drove up the coast road from LA to San Francisco last year - quite a few hours on the road, but we had a great time. (Until we got to San Francisco and saw the traffic to the bridge!) The only problem was we did too much and didn't really have any time to stop and see things for long. Most of my visits to the US have been on business, and again no real free time to spend. This time we really want to see some of the tourist things...

Usefulwebs earned $4.56 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. He reveals ALL his secrets step by step in his Super Affiliate Handbook (1/2 page)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    Don't even bother going to California that's not part of america. I think it's a European country or something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I've been to that country Saw Eric Clapton in the Cow Palace, Frank Zappa at some rotating stage in Oakland, had a nice Mexican dinner in Berkeley and chipped a few coins at the Mime's near Fisherman's Wharf. Even spent some time in a converted Monastery in Sonoma, but almost everyone there was from somewhere else, so it was pretty normal

The best area though, is Big Sur/Monterey, not sure if that's too far a ride up Rte. 1 from LA during a 4-day stay though.

I think Monterey is a bit far on this trip - but we did get a couple of hours there a while back and really enjoyed it. Perhaps the next time...

Usefulwebs earned $4.56 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. He reveals ALL his secrets step by step in his Super Affiliate Handbook (1/2 page)

Hi! There is a neat website:

www.seeing-stars.com

it tells you a lot of cool things to see in the LA area - the price - how to get there - parking, etc... Great Resource!!

One thing we really enjoyed was a day trip down the coast to the Newport area. There you can see The Aquarium of the Pacific and also the ship - The Queen Mary.

As far as theme parks - we loved Universal Studios! Be sure to take the behind the scenes tour where you can see some back lot movie making. Worth the price and lots better than Disneyland! (cheaper too) After the park closes, you can walk to the Hardrock Cafe.

Then there is the Tar Pits. This is where in prehistoric days the animals got caught in the tar and sank to the bottom. After eons the bones came back to the top - you can look over the pits and see the tar bubbeling. There is a nice museum there too.

The Getty is nice if you like to look at art, beautiful house and grounds.

But be sure to check out the website I gace you! Getting around LA an really be a challenge and this site really helps!!

Next time come see us here in Texas during Feb-March for a really big rodeo and fat stock show!!!

Vicki
    lived in Calif - now in Texas

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

I visited San Diego for two weeks last October (from Canada)

You MUST get to Seaworld...it was the most amazing place. We got front seats (free with admission) to the Killer Whale show and it was one of the most exciting things we'd ever done.

San Diego will now be a yearly trek for me and I can hardly wait for October to roll around again!!

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

Yes - Seaworld is already on my list. It looks as though we're not going to have any luck with the rodeo or pow wow though

Guess I'll have to try and think of a good reason to persuade my employers (the 'real' job) that I need to visit Texas! (Or I'll have to save some more money - hey! Why not try affiliate marketing? Oh! I've done that!)

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Usefulwebs earned $4.56 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. He reveals ALL his secrets step by step in his Super Affiliate Handbook (1/2 page)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ROFLMAO!

Heyder is right. California is not part of the USA. I think it is some strange meteor-continent that fell from space, or is a giant petrified turd left here by the dinosaurs!

Big Chuck
    www.bigchuck.com
    **Web Consultants**
    Stay Tuned For Something BIG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> or is a giant petrified turd left here by the dinosaurs!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would agree except that I don't believe in dinosaurs but maybe a giant elephant crispy.

Sorry?

You don't believe in Dinosaurs?

Have you never seen The Flintstones?

Do what you fancy but I would suggest checkin' out the real America. Hang out in bars away from the tourist strips (If you are the pint slamming sort). Being a Southerner, I do suggest visiting the south. I admit my kin (southerners in general) are about the dumbest in the nation, but by far the friendliest. Drink some beer with some locals under a bridge somewhere where people fish and swim, talk about animals they have shot, and the fish they have caught. Warning: Under no circumstances I would not suggest referring to these folks as "Yanks" or "Yankees"...thems "fightin words" in places. Yeah, we got some stupid racists, but who does'nt. I'm a obvious Southerner, but find the company of southern blacks a blast. They are generally a riot and great fun to hang around as they are bout the most "down to earth" folks to drink and laugh with, and being foreign will give you a sort of carma I usually can't get due to a dark part in our history. Ask the black folks were the best place to eat is at....You might find yourself to be the only whites in the place (if you are white), but likely it will be the best food in town. Check out both subcultures....also things are a bit cheaper on the whole in the south compared to most other places in the country....Enjoy!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread