Man people don't believe this really can make money here's some proof

1. you do not have to pay to join any affiliate program

2. You do not have to buy inventory or buy back.

3. or pay monthly fees to participate in a affiliate program.

4. Guaranteed $ if you are committed.

5. Cheaper start up fee then your 9-5 job if you are in a union.

6. No extra fees attached!

Rock on!

goal: $5000 a month by 11/26
    Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

ABW Ambassador
    In addition, one huge difference between network marketing (often thought of as pyrmaid schemes, rightly or wrongly) and affiliate programs is that with affiliate programs you actually sell stuff to customers.

Network marketing, in most programs, the vast bulk of your sales to go people in your network. You're not really selling products as much as selling a business idea - which then generates the sales of products.

I've read that in most network marketing operations that around 90% of all sales are "in the network" (your downline), and not normal customers outside of it (like in affiliate marketing).

Not saying this is bad or anything - lots of people make money doing it. But, it most definitely takes a different kind of person to make money doing it. To succeed in network marketing, you have to be able to sell the business idea - convincing people that they can make money selling the business concept to others. I was never able to sell anyone on the business idea (perhaps because I didn't believe it myself!) of network marketing - hence never sold any of their products.

By contrast, affiliate sales are to real people - and you're actually selling real products, not just a business plan. Above all, I've had great success (measured by perhaps meager standards), that I would never dream of attempting to do another MLM program - online or off (tried Amway and Nikken to no avail).

Jim

Totally true jimh009, Also forget to add instant profit when I product is sold, no delay until your partner makes a sale like other mlm programs.

Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I wrote this for clickZ last year:

http://www.clickz.com/aff_mkt/aff_mk...le.php/1454461

When's an Affiliate Program Not an Affiliate Program?
    › › › Affiliate Marketing

BY Jim Kukral | August 30, 2002

Public relations experts will tell you one of the hardest things to change is human perception -- especially when perception is derived by negative experience.

Recently, I received this email from a ClickZ reader:

Dear Jim,

I recently signed up as an affiliate for [Company X], and I am dying a slow death. As they recommended, I purchased all the programs they suggested and a dozen others.

Now, I'm frustrated and feel ripped-off. Instead of getting sales, other marketers (like me) respond to my posts, trying to sell me their stuff. I'm swimming in a hundred emails from different companies who are also trying to sell me their product, upgrades, credit repair, lower mortgage interest rates, etc. I spent several hundred dollars "signing up" for all the recommended "packages," but now see who's really making the money.

Where did I go wrong? Is there a "right" way to enter the business of affiliate marketing and make some money? Can you recommend affiliate programs where an Internet neophyte like me can make money, instead of paying?

I hope you can give me some guidance. It seems affiliate marketing isn't what I thought it would be. I'm about to give up.

Warmest,
    Frustrated Marketer
    Right off the bat, I knew what was wrong. Frustrated Marketer is a multilevel marketing (MLM) scheme victim. The most discouraging part of this story is Frustrated Marketer, as many of us did in the beginning, confused affiliate marketing with MLM.

What Is MLM?

The Federal Trade Commission's definition:

Multilevel marketing plans, also known as "network" or "matrix" marketing, are a way of selling goods or services through distributors. These plans typically promise that if you sign up as a distributor, you will receive commissions -- for both your sales of the plan's goods or services and those of other people you recruit to join the distributors. Multilevel marketing plans usually promise to pay commissions through two or more levels of recruits, known as the distributor's "downline."
    You know what these are. You've seen them before. Remember the guy you met at the bowling alley who wanted you to put $1,000 in his pyramid scheme with promises you'd make it back in a week? You had to guarantee you'd get two more people to cough up the money, and so on, and so on...

Then there's your pesky neighbor, who keeps inviting you over each weekend to try to persuade you to become her sales "partner" for those expensive candles.

MLM has moved online, spreading from inbox to inbox. It grows more popular every day as enrollees seek fresh recruits with a simple click of the mouse.

Neophyte entrepreneurs such as Frustrated Marketer are sucked in by slick copy and big promises, until they learn it's not what they thought. This can leave them with a sour taste in their mouths -- and often lighter wallets.

MLM Is Not Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate marketing is a referral-based marketing strategy. Merchants pay affiliates commissions for referring business to the merchants' Web sites.

The difference? Merchants do not pay for advertising on affiliate sites until a sale is transacted. (Note: A two-tier affiliate program could be construed as an MLM tactic).

Get Smart

My point isn't to bash MLM in favor of affiliate marketing. It's to educate people such as Frustrated Marketer about the differences. I should point out there are many MLM success stories out there and legitimate businesses using the MLM business ethically and very effectively.

You can find a comprehensive list of affiliate and MLM programs on ClickZ's sister site, Refer-it.com.

Budding affiliate entrepreneurs must learn to distinguish the differences between the programs. Frustrated Marketer found out the hard way: The methods are different and aren't right for everyone.

How Do I Know If It's MLM?

To borrow from Jeff Foxworthy:

If it claims you'll make income through the continued growth of your "downline"... it's probably MLM.

If it requires new members to purchase inventory to remain in the program... it's probably MLM.

If it compels each member to recruit additional members to qualify for the program's benefits... it's probably MLM.
    The Biggest Similarity

No MLM or affiliate program will get you rich instantly. Both require hard work and commitment to make sales. Choose the one that's right for you and dig in -- but choose wisely.

http://www.kowabunga.net

AffiliateMakeover.com have you heard of quixtar.com there apart of the http://alticor.com/ corp. I'm a Ibo and they really aren't that expensive. they have some good energy drinks though. But I'm focusing on affiliate marketing. I'm thinking of dropping them, but I see it as a 2nd vehicle for making money and there isp is pretty cheap too. Any comments on them?

Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    I really have no idea. They have a nicy looking site. That's about as much as I know as I haven't looked into this aspect of the business for a long time, and when I did, it was for research. Good luck and let us all know if you try it!

http://www.kowabunga.net

Quixtar's is under the Amway umbrella of companies.

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    AffiliateMakeover.com have you heard of quixtar.com there apart of the http://alticor.com/ corp. I'm a Ibo and they really aren't that expensive. they have some good energy drinks though. But I'm focusing on affiliate marketing. I'm thinking of dropping them, but I see it as a 2nd vehicle for making money and there isp is pretty cheap too. Any comments on them?

Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend of mine tried to get me interested in that just a few weeks ago, so I did a little research. I wouldn't touch it. Maybe you can make some money with it, but with the same effort, and no investment, you can make a lot more with affiliate marketing, and you'd probably feel better about yourself, too.

Actually I found out there an affiliate of linkshare, cj, etc. I saw the tracking code for linkshare and cj when I go though there site? I contacted I believe megellions travel supplies and they told me it was a legit business, there an affiliate of quixtar too. and I believe there an affiliate of Jc Whitney too I believe?

Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

Amway uuuuug! I had to fake my own death one time to get away from an Amway rep. They’re like pit bulls. And I guarantee you that there is no better way to get rid of most of your friends than to join one of these programs. But don’t worry you’ll make new friends at the meetings. It’s like a cult. You walk in and everyone is saying how well you’ll fit in and how good it is to see you and warning you not to listen to what your friends and family say.

Jason
    “That’s the song I’ve been sangin for years, that’s the way the wild wind blows” – Robert Earl Keen

NewcastleB totally true on They’re like pit bulls. And I guarantee you that there is no better way to get rid of most of your friends than to join one of these programs. But don’t worry you’ll make new friends at the meetings. It’s like a cult. You walk in and everyone is saying how well you’ll fit in and how good it is to see you and warning you not to listen to what your friends and family say. yeah. it's different when about 5 of the people I met are from my high school or co-workers at work (grocery store) gheez They keep on telling me you can do it. I know I can do it but I make more money with the internet for free? Sure I'm in quixtar as a Ibo. but let me become financial free first in this business (affiliate marketing and abestweb, then I'll do quixtar) I see better results from this affiliate marketing industry then the quixtar business.

Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

Something that I think went relatively untouched here was the aspect of 2-tier affiliate marketing and whether or not this can be construed as an MLM practice. While this is, obviously, "multi-level" in nature, the big difference is that, in most 2-tier affiliate programs, and certainly those that should be defended as being inapplicable to the category of MLM, the associate does not incur any cost to join the program. Additionally, as long as the originating affiliate understands the importance of not "cannibalizing" a better program, he or she will not, typically, recommend a program that is not in the best interest of the referral.

Also, since there is usually no cost associated with joining an affiliate program, the originating affiliate is not profiting from the sale of the business opportunity itself but, rather, the success of the person they have referred. Should their referrals be unsuccessful, the referring affiliate does not, as I did with my limited MLM experience, further regret having involved any of their associates because of money invested.

In summary, and in my own opinion (which does not necessarily reflect the view of this station), what sets MLM's apart from 2-tier affiliate marketing is whether the company's intent is to profit from consumers being provided a legitimate product/service, or their "employees".

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.affiliatefuel.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NewcastleB:
    Amway uuuuug! I had to fake my own death one time to get away from an Amway rep. They’re like pit bulls. And I guarantee you that there is no better way to get rid of most of your friends than to join one of these programs. But don’t worry you’ll make new friends at the meetings. It’s like a cult. You walk in and everyone is saying how well you’ll fit in and how good it is to see you and warning you not to listen to what your friends and family say.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Primerica Financial Services. Went to one meeting. That was the most bizarre thing I had ever seen in my life.

"Thanks but, I'll just take a Roth IRA, TO GO!!!"

BUT, they're cool about not buying insurance/financial services through them if you can get a better deal somewhere else. They're especially cool when you say "no thanks" to joining their organization as a "Financial Consultant". I just get a card at July 4th and Christmas reminding me that they're still there.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:I've read that in most network marketing operations that around 90% of all sales are "in the network" (your downline), and not normal customers outside of it (like in affiliate marketing).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention that 95% of the people never make over $200 a month

-------------
    build, build, build, build...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Javi:
    Not to mention that 95% of the people never make over $200 a month
    _build, build, build, build..._<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the people never make a cent. (I don't count earning less that you paid to get in as earning anything)

You are likely right bout' the 95% not making anything (more or less)....but what about their attitude and where do they get their "direction"? I for one know that there really are Giants and Beanstalks and sometimes it pays to swap the cow for magic beans. Ole' Jack got spanked...but came out clean on the other side redeemed.

Actually, CJ does charge non-performing affiliates now, but that's really an exception to the rule.

jimh009 hits the nail on the head.. the key part of any scheme is "where does the money come from". If you put up a link to TigerDirect, for example, the money comes in from some complete stranger who wants to buy computer stuff. In other words, the "system" sucks in revenue from outside - it's a open system. With MLM scams, it's a closed system (or very largely closed system).. there's negligible money coming in from people not involved in the scheme

jasonco12, you've clearly had the same conversations with people that I've had trying to convince them that it's not a scam and you CAN make money from the Internet, if you're prepared to learn and take the time to do it right.

I explain it sometime like this... affiliate marketing is really just advertising. You promote products, people buy them, you make an income. However, technology allows it to be more sophisticated that (say) print advertising. With affiliate marketing, you generally pay by results. No traffic, no conversions, no money. It reduces the risk for the merchant, and this makes it more accessible to publishers, a win-win situation. If the technology existed for pay-by-results for TV, press and poster ads you can bet that it would work that way too.

If you push the analogy, then you can say that there are two types of legitimate affiliate sites - content sites sell advertising around their (usually) free content, like most TV stations. Sales sites are like those catalogs you get delivered.. no content, all product. It's just that the technology is more sophisticated.

(I guess Gator is like some bloke hanging around the department store and pestering you to go elsewhere. Ebates goes a bit further and tries to take a cut out of the till on the promise that you'll get some back.)

So, it's something for nothing, right? Well not really. Although you don't have to pay to join, you've still got hosting fees, domain names, PPC costs etc and most importantly TIME and EFFORT.

OK, some programs have a couple of tiers, but the money generated is still coming in from real world customers, so it's not a true MLM in that sense.

Mind you, if they don't understand, then they're not going to compete with you

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Does anyone know of any multi levels that sell products directly to the consumer and remit a commission cheque to you, I've only found one so far. They operate as either an affiliate program or an Multi level, only diff is you have to pay to join and then they pay up to 15 levels deep.

You can PM me if you prefer not to post.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread