Hi

What keeps you going through the ups and downs of affliate marketing? I'm somewhat new to affliate marketing and working on it full time now but there are ups and downs. When things seem challenging I usually take a walk through the park and think about why I am doing this in the first place: FREEDOM!

What about you? What do you do that keeps you motivated and moving forward?

Regards,

Dylan

The $$$$$

Hi and Welcome to ABW Dylan

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

It keeps me going because it's much enjoyable then working 40 hours a week, (even though I have a job: haven't got to the point of being able to quit!,but it will) and it's because of the friendship of the members here and merchants here. And it's all on freedom! IF you want it it will come! Takes time.... though!

eMarketer indicates that 2003 will bring in $58.2 billion http://www.webpronews.com/wpn-45-200...rExpected.html

ABW Ambassador
    Freedom definetly.
    $$$$$$$$$
    No schedules.
    You are you in charge.
    Knowing you can make an unlimited amout of money.
    Hearing my girlfriend talk about a bad day at work.
    Knowing i can live anywhere i want in the world as long as i can get an internet connection.

But what you said at the start - Freedom

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Using it just as freedom as you state can also be misleading. This is a job/business/endeavour no matter what we call it. As Leader states, she uses it to avoid w*rk, when in fact it is work. However it is a job, just one we prefer to do outside the standard 9-5 BS routine like others do. I am sell employed also besides doing this. It is just another part of my business that generates income. Right now a work week is more than many other regular jobs. Hours are more flexible, we reap what we sow, income wise. The one good freedom point though if we feel like taking a walk, going fishing golfing or spending time with family or friends it allows us to do so. However take off too much time, don't sit in front of the computer at some time and devote the same energies needed as a real life business or job and POOF there goes your freedom.
    On that note though, I think I'll go plan the next fishing trip.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    If you'll notice I have 998 posts. It also allows us to be in ABW far too often, instead of working

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

being new at this just the sound of the word freedom keeps me going. When i get frustrated i jump in the boat where there is no ads to be seen anywhere vinny

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Freedom! No j*b!!!
    If a merchant gets an attitude, they're GONE! And it's MY decision!
    $$$$$, but that's a facet of FREEDOM!
    The competitiveness factor.

Knowing that all those jerks who told me to "get a job" are now making less than I am. I want to keep it that way, so I keep typing. After all, if they kiss up, put in years of service, play politics, and work hard--they *MAY* get a raise! IF their bosses are in good moods!
    Knowing all *I* have to do to get a raise, is put up more pages.
    The fact that if I take a vacation, the money will keep coming.
    I never have to "put in" for a vacation.
    Break is when I say.
    Midweek days off are no problem.
    Starting time, is whenever I decide to start.

That's just to name just a few things, that keep me going!!!

~Revenue is King

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    (Seeing Walleye's post)

And you can bet your last nickel I'm NOT spending the amount of energy on this as would be required at a "regular j*b"!!!

It may require effort, but w*rk--that's another matter! A few site upd*tes, other than that it's either fun or neutral. To qualify as w*rk, it'd have to suck!

(Work = something that sucks but has to be done anyway. Suckiness is negated if I can say to someone, "I've got a job--FOR YOU...)

And it DOES take a heckuva lot less raw energy/w*rk/effort than an 8-hour/day job. Heck, just getting *ready* to do a regular j*b is more work than this...no alarms ringin' in my ear and no drive time to do THIS!

~Revenue is King

[This message was edited by Leader on June 17, 2003 at 06:32 PM.]

Personally, I can't picture myself oding anything else anymore ;-)

I've been working at home full time since August 1st, 2000, and not only does it provide the "freedom" so many people mention, but it carries with it more job satisfaction than anything else I've ever done ;-)

The great thing about affiliate marketing is it can open alot of doors for you, just by the inherent need to continually educate yourself and adapt to the changing marketing climate.

October 1st will mark the launch of my first "Real World" project that would not have been possible were it not for the freedom affiliate marketing has given me.

Erik

P.S. The very best thing is when all those "friends" drop by who looked at you like you were nuts when you decided to do it full time, and start asking questions like "how do I get started...?"

ClickBank Super Affiliates - Grab your FREE CB Power Portal - THE most powerful, and customizable ClickBank Portal system on the planet...period. Promote the ENTIRE ClickBank Marketplace via your OWN fully searchable and customizable portal. Get your FREE Lite Version at www.CBPowerPortal.com

I'm here mostly because I never knew when to quit. I make nearly ugly websites, I'm not good at sales spin and I couldn't pull content out of a public library yet I make good money today. It took me nearly three years to get to a respectable income level. Most people would have quit after the first three months of going no where. I'm a competitive person by nature and I'm here becuase of all the friends and family who think but don't say I'm waisting my time. Guess what they where wrong!

All great posts here. True I have been doing this for years! and the revenue is increasing. I used to make a solid $3000 a month, But after I had to get a real job I started not having the time to work on this, but Now i Say Just do it! And fight it the best you can!

eMarketer indicates that 2003 will bring in $58.2 billion http://www.webpronews.com/wpn-45-200...rExpected.html

Extra income, and lots of it.
    Freedom to know I can walk out of my job anytime now, can and doing are two different things, but after the week I've had, it's starting to look better all the time.

What Leader said in her 1st post!

It does take a while, and just when you get to the point where you want to walk away from it for a little while, the sales start rolling in.

Andy

I appreciate everyone's posts! This topic I started was my first but I am very happy to see what a strong and supportive community exists in the web/affliate world...it can be a little lonely.

I think our motivation goes beyond money for most of us. While obviously money is needed, more importantly we do it for quality of life reasons. We could all make money doing something for some company but I find that path harder than the risk I'm taking now.

FREEDOM has a slightly different meaning for all of us but we all have the same goals. I think our goals are easier to reach when there is a place/community such as this to support and help each other.

By the way, I'm from New York (hence my screen name) and was living in Australia for the past 5 months working on affliate stuff P/T. Now that I have returned it is very clear to me that FREEDOM allows me to travel and make a living at the same time.

I'm sure I'll be chatting with many of you again. It is rainy today here in NY so I suppose it is a good day to get alot of work done. Work on rainy days, play on sunny days.

All the best,

Dylan

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I'm here because I got screwed at my day job, basically. Anger, desire, need, all of these things keep me focussed on the fact that affiliate marketing - whether you are an affiliate, a merchant, or both - can generate both money and self-worth/satisfaction at the same time.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

ABW Ambassador
    I am doing this full time because I lost my job as a teacher in Madrid. Had to sell my house and move. All that was December 2001 - March 2002. Started affiliate marketing full time in April 2002 (with lots of help from members of ABW) when ADSL was installed at our house and never looked back. I now live on the (quite) exotic island of Tenerife with my wife and 2 dogs. My wife is in bed now working on the laptop we bought yesterday. She also works at affiliate marketing.

I use to teach here on Tenerife at a British school. They are having problems recruiting teachers now after years of treating them badly and very little pay (I was on a ten month contract so the school did not have to pay social security in the summer - I took home about $1000 a month - and that is for teaching students preparing for University). When I left I was handed a tax bill of $900 as the school had not paid the correct tax for me).

My old job at this school in Tenerife is now available as they have been unable to fill it. Some of the teachers have asked me to come back.

Not in this lifetime!!!!

Affiliate marketing = Freedom.

What motivates me?
    The thought of being able to leave my job (in my wildest dreams at the moment)
    The scope for creativity (finding elegant solutions, producing websites that people would be glad to land in)
    The necessity to learn new stuff keeps you from becoming jaded.
    I haven't yet found the formula - that seems to be the way it goes, you persist and experiment and eventually you find something that works and you build on it. From that point on, the more you build, the more you earn.
    Like TrustNo1, the possibility of living anywhere in the world that has an internet connection is mighty appealing to me.

"A train station is where a train stops
    A bus station is where a bus stops
    On my desk is a workstation....." (anon)

Freedom and earning more than an exec would. I worked on a car assembly line for 9 years. I left that job in November 2000 when I was earning 5 times more as an affiliate than I was working 36 hours a week. Now I'm living abroad in a sunny climate, just bought the wife a new van 2 weeks ago and since I work from a home office, I wear what I want to wear

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'll leave the industry when my job is done. They were supposed to send me the "job description" back in 1997, but I'm sure it's just caught up in the US postal system.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    The dream of freedom.

I share Leader's sentiments about j*bs

Unfortunately I need mine to pay the bills. Not earning enough from affiliate marketing yet to feed the family... but I'll make it eventually.

ABW Ambassador
    Every day when I start work I say to myself "today is the day that I'll make the world a better place".

naaaaaa It's the $$$$$

If you wish to know more - you can't. "For security reasons the only ones allowed to see the profiles are affiliate managers."

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread