can anyone tell me about poetry.com? and if there a legimate business, I got this email and I have no idea who it is that gave me this and they didn't give me a email address to reply too.

it's unethical for you to send visitors to poetry.com. They are not
    a legitimate contest, nor are their poetry books ever read by anyoen other than
    contributors and their families/friends. They are a vanity press. They proclaim
    EVERY ONE of the contributors a "semi-finalist" even for very poorly written
    poems, and they try to sell them expensive anthologies (full of average to bad
    poems -- they publish EVERYTHING they receive), printed copies of their poem,
    audio tape versions, tickets for attending badly run poetry conventions, and so
    on. Read about the International Library of Poetry on the Web to see what other
    people say. It might be free to submit a poem to them, but it's a waste of time,
    giving people false hopes, 'til later they discover they were conned. Think over
    what I said and reconsider your prominent display and your affiliate membership
    for poetry.com

your 401 k will be a 0 k or less- affiliate marketing is the only solution, fight it forever.. make pages, make pages!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't know directly, but a quick check shows Google has 8 listings under "poetry.com sucks"...

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...2Bcom+sucks%22

~Revenue is King

Also check out the Alexa reviews - http://www.alexa.com/data/details/re...url=poetry.com

Also see this site - http://4.23.15.75/poetsscam.htm (dunno the domain name, sorry).

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    I like Poetry.com
    And so should you!

Bet that will win me top prize!

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

I did some reading up, and it doesn't appear to be a scam, more a commercial operation operating under the front of a competition.

Depending on how you look at it, the commercial side supports the prizes, or the prizes are a loss leader to get people interested in their products.

Uh I think.

________

Affiliate Manager
    Dynamoo is correct- basically- scam would be an overstatement in my opinion- but the rest of the email is correct

They will take and publish every poem in hopes of you buying a book with your poetry at an inflated price. Then they will try to sell certificates etc saying you are a winner (yeah, I sent something in in high school- so did my brother)

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

actually I submitted a poem for poety.com in junior high school and your right they do inflate prices on books I was thinking Dam those are high prices, so I didn't buy anything and decided I wouldn't waste my time with them, However when I saw they had a affiliate program at affiliate fuel, I was expecting a higher payout then just $2 a signup. after I sent like 20 targeted clicks and got the email above I decided it was time to drop them. I'm actually never been to the seminars and after looking up some information at the below URL's I decided okay, I would like to actually thank that person who told me about poetry.com Like Excuse me if a webmaster refers a poet to poetry.com and they sign up and end up buying the insane priced books or whatever I should be getting 10% of the commission for the purchases at least, Hmm $2 for a lead is quite worthless in my opinion checkout the below URL's I found:

http://wockyjivvy.com/poetry/shame/index.html

http://www.sls.lib.il.us/reference/p...98/poetry.html

http://www.poemtrain.com/scams.htm

Okay they have been dropped and removed time to work on creatives from the merchants active on abw.

your 401 k will be a 0 k or less- affiliate marketing is the only solution, fight it forever.. make pages, make pages!

ABW Ambassador
    Reminds me of a little of the GoldenWebAward that i see a lot of sites having. When i first started i saw an ugly looking site with the award so i sent my site in and won the award too. It seems every site gets the award and then they place the award on their site, basically a link back to the award site. Later the award site sends lots of emails asking you to buy certificates and trophys showing off that you won the award. To test if everybody wins the award, i made a blank page with under construction and submitted it, and won the award There are all kinds of sites out there where everybody wins, where they try to get you to buy something later.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

I've been researching Fastclick advertisers before I put the banners on my site, and what I've found is very disheartening. Some of the advertisers are questionable at best, even though they look fine at first glance. Poetry.com was one I chose not to put on my site for reasons already mentioned here.

I assumed at first that the advertising networks were checking up on these companies before accepting the ads, but I don't think so anymore... looks like it's up to webmasters to do the research.

It reminds me a little of these free utilities that come with parasiteware embedded in them.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and by and large anything that has cost somebody money to produce has some sort of payback, be it an embedded copy of Gator, or a hard sell once they've formed some other relationship with you. A lot of surfers are terribly naive about this, and really don't understand the economics of the web.. i.e. there's a sucker born every minute. Whether you choose to exploit these suckers or not is up to you

________

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread