Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    http://toolbar.google.com/index-beta

Just in case anybody want to dl it and try it out. New features include popup blocker, autofill forms, something about creating a weblog.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Autofill might be a bit of a Gator killer

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    Pop up blocker seems nice also:

"If you feel you were deceived when you installed a program that creates pop-ups, you may want to take action. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) handles complaints about deceptive or unfair business practices. To file a complaint, visit: http://www.ftc.gov/ and click on "File a Complaint," call 1-877-FTC-HELP, or write to:

Federal Trade Commission
    CRC-240
    Washington, D.C. 20580

If your complaint is against a company in another country, please file it at http://www.econsumer.gov/.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Went to a couple of sporting goods sites and the pop up blocker works nice. I think merchants need to rethink their pop up strategy as more and more of these tools become mainstream

--Wayne Calloway

When it comes out of Beta, I will definitely use it for the popup stopper.

I'm not a big user of popups for advertising, I've just got two. I do use javascript windows for other things though. Hmmm.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Yeah! It works great, thanks google for the good popup blocker!

Shopping and make-up boost female surfers
    Silicon.com - 17 hours ago
    ... Getting more women online ... The study found the sites that attracted female surfers

most included shopping, travel, education, finance and health and beauty sites

http://silicon.com/news/500019/1/4829.html

[This message was edited by jasonco12 on June 25, 2003 at 02:26 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Does it block the parasites pop ups? I guess it will have to be checked out with someone that has the apps installed
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

ABW Ambassador
    I think it does, but i don't have any of those aps on my computer, maybe somebody that does can test. If so, we can advertise the toolbar on our site to our visitors as a pop up blocker and a form filler which a lot of people like. I use RoboForm right now, but am trying the Google form filler out now to see how i like it.

--Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Does it block new windows created with target="_blank" on an anchor?

----
    -JM

Joseph Monuit no it does not block windows created with target="_blank" tested it on my site...

ABW Ambassador
    Joseph if you know a url with target="_blank" on an anchor, i can try it out. I had one of my affiliate links open in a new window and those work fine, Google doesn't block those.

--Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    jason, trust: thanks. thats great news, i think, as a lot of affiliates use that...

TN1- thats what I meant, I think... "affiliate link open in new window" ...

----
    -JM

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe some people can commento n this-

Does anyone feel that Pop-up blocking technology steals advertising revenue from content oriented sites?

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

ABW Ambassador
    Are you talking about the fastclick type popups? I wouldn't use the word steat, but its what the customer wants, and they don't want popups, so those types of sites need to adapt. Or start selling advertising on their site, adwords, marketbanker, etc.

--Wayne Calloway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does anyone feel that Pop-up blocking technology steals advertising revenue from content oriented sites?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Stealing" would suggest that I pocket the revenue that otherwise would go to the site. As far as I can tell, the stealing argument won't hold up in court. And the sympathy vote isn't with the pop-up purveyors either.

The last I heard on the subject there was debate going on about copyright issues, though.

P.S. Wayne - did you see my reply to your bank account post?

ABW Ambassador
    The popup killer is a great thing - and it doesn't block user intiated pop-up windows or target=blank windows, either.

The auto-fill looks like a nifty thing, too.

Wayne : Pop-ups I think have had their day in the sun. People overused them and abused them, and all these pop-up killer programs are the result. Besides, were popups ever effective? I've never clicked on them except by accident. Think there is better ways to market a product than by pushing a popup into someones face (unless it is like something likc CC's or home mortages, which are generally advertised "in your face" anyways).

Just my two cents.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    MJ,

Just saw your kinds words! Many thanks and I am glad you like the service. If there is anything I can do for you just drop me a private note.

In terms of pop-ups... if a site is offering services, or content that is advertising supported and users actively block them is it indirect stealing of the content (not the funds)?

Same analogy with say a service like Tivo. If all viewers "download" the movies or shows and edit out the ads, are they in fact abusing the service and taking money from the writers, actors, networks, etc?

I expect no sympathy for TV executives or sites that use pops, but just curious if people think this practice is ok?

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

ABW Ambassador
    MJ,

I think I missed your post on the bank accounts??
    -wayne

Wayne - sent you an email.

ABW Ambassador
    I do consider it stealing. If you don't like the banner ads, don't visit the site. You are using their bandwidth and services. Pay for it. The owner decides the cost, not the end user.

I personally don't run any popups on any of our sites, but I can understand why some content sites do. Maybe google's adsense will stop this practice?

I do use opera with popblocker on sometimes when I am searching for something and visiting many unknown websites as some will throw so many popups it crashes my browser. But if I decide to stay at the site, I do not block the popups.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Don't use any of them so i don't know how they work but couldn't the site owner just have the ads on site, don't you get paid by # of impressions? or does it have to pop to get paid? I think if you have a content site that uses pops, you will have to adapt if you still want to make $$$ because this will only grow. Pop blocking software, toolbars, browsers etc.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I do consider it stealing. If you don't like the banner ads, don't visit the site. You are using their bandwidth and services. Pay for it. The owner decides the cost, not the end user.~Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!!!

I've got pops on one of my 2 c*ntent sites. If it wasn't for that, that site wouldn't make enough money to bother keeping it up. I made more in a month with the pops than I made from running CPA ads on that thing for *6* months!! (Yes--that means the people weren't buying SHEET, blasted moochers...)

If people want "free" recipes, THEY GET my pops and flashing banners as part of the package. Popunders pay the most CPM--way more than banners--so the viewers will most definitely get 'em.

In exchange, they also get to see more recipes because there is now motivation to bother adding some (more pages = more chances for page views and imps)! Without the pops, they probably would have been looking at free, popup-less 404s by next year on that domain, since I don't keep a site that doesn't make money. It doesn't pass on enough PR to be worth keeping just for *that*--so no $$$, no site!

Therefore I agree--I consider popup blockers to be blighted and agree that it's a form of theft to view a c*ntent site without allowing the webmaster to make money! It takes time to keep that stuff updated, disk space/bandwidth/hosting to keep it visible, SEO knowledge so anybody can find it at all, etc. It's only fair that there should be a way to get compensated for bothering!

~Revenue is King

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Don't use any of them so i don't know how they work but couldn't the site owner just have the ads on site, don't you get paid by # of impressions? or does it have to pop to get paid? I think if you have a content site that uses pops, you will have to adapt if you still want to make $$$ because this will only grow. Pop blocking software, toolbars, browsers etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pops pay more than on-page (usually banner) ads. About 5x more sometimes! (It's by usually by impression. Each showing of a banner or poppie pays a bit. Prices are generally stated as CPM--cost per thousand [mil]. It'd take MAJOR mega-traffic to retire on it, too, LOL!! A lot more than with CPA but it beats making $0 off the c*ntent-viewers...)

The fact that banners go unblocked doesn't make up for how much more money popunders pay.

If the pop doesn't get to pop, it doesn't register an impression.

Interesting factiod--For a test of pop-blocker penetration, I made a popup with a CJ ad. I ran this on a page which also had a CJ banner. (I used CJ for both ads so there wouldn't be a difference in impression counting/reporting methods. It'd be apples to apples...)

The popup showed 25% less impressions than the banner--leading me to think that 25% of the people who came to that page do indeed block the pops.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    I agree you should get paid somehow for content sites, but pop blockers will only grow and could block some shopping aps popups, don't know. Right now i would start looking at Google Adsense or something like Marketbanker. I think you can make a lot more money if done right. Blogger sites are making money too now using Blogads. I think thats the future for content sites and you might make a lot more money. Plus people hate em. Looks like some are having some success.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...653#4276041653

It would interesting if someone who has a content site here who uses pops to switch to GoogldAdsense or Marketbanker, to see which one makes more money and post the results.

--Wayne Calloway

Does visiting a site give the website owner to open a new window on your browser? If so, how many?

I hate pop-ups, pop-unders and any kind of it no matter for what purpose. Never used, neve will.

And so does every other Internet user. THEY HATE THEM. It's problem right after E-MAIL SPAM. Now even ISPs join the fight, because it costs them BANDWIDTH too! See, there are others involved in the cost of a pop-up. Also, pop-ups cost visitors time, the time to shut them up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I do consider it stealing. If you don't like the banner ads, don't visit the site. You are using their bandwidth and services. Pay for it. The owner decides the cost, not the end user.~Chet <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the other way around. The ends user does decide it. For the commercial webmaster, if you can't run profitable website, you get out of the game, and people who can continue! Just like banner ads, once they were making a fortune, now they're on their way to be obselete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast