ABW Ambassador
    http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...0&pagenumber=1

Two heavyweights in car audio are duking it out!

In this corner, we have "Eddie Runner", an accomplished car stereo installer who has built world champion sound quality stereo systems. (Yes there are competitions for such things, and no not all of us want to disturb you with 50hz booms in the middle of the night.)

In this corner, we have Tom Nousaine, a published audio engineer. He has written for countless car audio trade magazines and now designs home theatres for a living.

What are they fighting over? Which direction to face a subwoofer in the trunk of your car! Yes, it's trivial. They start pulling credentials to back themselves up when neither wants to believe the other's data.

The data both provide are suspect, but that's not gonna make either one back down. They start attacking credibility and the ugly specter of personal attacks looms its ugly head. Someone's gonna get hurt!

It becomes especially entertaining when you realize both of these guys are nearing 50 years old and behaving like third graders!

It's nice to read a flame war that's not about affiliate marketing.

-patrice

I agree with Patrice ... I was beginning to wonder if any actually existed outside affiliate marketing.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

So, anyone know which way a subwoofer is supposed to face?
    I need one for my car and would hate to get laughed at for not having it installed right.

I have always wanted a "boom boom" car!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Connie:

Yes. All subwoofers should be pointed away from me!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    Connie, you're not getting those big subs you put in the trunk are you? I don't think it really matters because its bass, doesn't matter which direction. But if you have nice big ones, it should face the trunk so when you open your trunk, everybody can ooh and ahh.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

From the Don't know why I am trying to be serious for a moment Department:

Frequencies below 250hz (Bass) are omni-directional, and in your home at least, it doesn't matter at all. I can't imagine why it would make a difference in your car either.

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

My Trans Am doesn't have a trunk.

Just a nice space in back where one should go.

Then I can take the T-Tops off and rock everyone!

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, it really doesn't matter which way it's facing. Bass frequencies have long wave forms so you'll hear the bass best from about 15 feet outside the car !

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patrice - eastwoodcompany.com:
    It's nice to read a flame war that's not about affiliate marketing.

-patrice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You got that right Patrice

Peace and Freedom,

Ed Antisdel
    FurnitureFind.com, Affiliate Director 800-362-7632 x2001

ABW Ambassador
    Connie: http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/firebird.html

There's no question as to what direction it faces, it only installs one way!

weisinator,
    My CD Changer is in that space.
    I will have to take a closer look and see how things can be arranged.

Thanks, cool idea!

If I decide to buy, do you have an affiliate link? If so, pm it to me.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    Yeah, it really doesn't matter which way it's facing. Bass frequencies have long wave forms so you'll hear the bass best from about 15 feet outside the car !

http://www.1design4life.co.uk - 1 Design 4 Life<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The reasoning behind facing it towards the back is to bounce the wave off the back of the car or off the hatch glass. I dunno how true that is, but it sounded better in my car that way. Facing the sub towards the front was too punchy.

The counter to this is, it doesn't matter in a small space, the "transfer function" of the vehicle (determined by the longest single dimension in the car) takes over and amplifies the sound for you at about 12db/octave (in theory at least).

The transfer function has been proven (rattling body panels take away from it, but that's not a factor here). Most 10" car audio subwoofers in a sealed box have an F3 of 55hz or so. That happens to be the happy medium "transfer frequency" for most cars sold in the US. The larger the car, the lower the frequency and vice versa.

Most living rooms have a transfer function starting at 30hz or so. Most home theater subwoofers will start rolling off at this frequency.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
    weisinator,
    My CD Changer is in that space.
    I will have to take a closer look and see how things can be arranged.

Thanks, cool idea!

If I decide to buy, do you have an affiliate link? If so, pm it to me.

Connie Berg

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There are no affiliate links for JL, since there are no authorized internet dealers for JL.

That's the ONLY complaint I have against JL. They have top-notch customer service and excellent products.

I'm going to make my own version of that box to fit the passenger side of my Cavalier. (I did fiberglass work once before. PITA, but fun.)

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread