This is the first time I have had to resort to a trap to get rid of a mouse. I don't like picking up crushed bloody bodies but this guy had to go. So I decide to be smart and put the trap in a shallow box in the attic. Tonight I check and my trap is GONE. That means soon the entire house will probably stink to high heaven. Either that our I am going to hear this poor mouse limping around with a trap on his foot all night.
    Lesson: Next time use a box with a lid and a hole small enough for the mouse to get in and too small for the trap to get out.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe the mouse took the trap and put it in front of your bed so when you wake up in the morning you'll get you toe trapped. You can always borrow my dog, he's our exterminator

The trap is missing, you say?
    I remember reading that in the 1950’s, the Soviets were experimenting with sending mice into orbit. Something like this would never happen today because of all the animal rights activists, but back then it was a different world. But anyway, when these mice came back they all had super intelligence. Realizing what a find they had, Soviet scientists began using them to help develop their space program. Then in 1961, a bunch of the mice defected to the US. Many people believe that they were the driving force behind the creation of NASA, and Kennedy’s commitment to land a man on the moon. The scary thing is, that a few years ago some of these mice became disgruntle and fled into the area around Johnson Space Center. Nobody really knows where they went, or what they are up to. I don’t want to scare you, but you might have one of these “Scientist Mice” , as they are called, in your house. If so, it may have stolen your trap in order to reconstruct it as a people trap, so if you come home and see a pizza and beer sitting on your floor, don’t touch it. Don’t even go near it. Run to a neighbors and give the friendly folks at NASA a call for help.

And always remember: The Truth is out there

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

I shouldn't laugh really but I found it so funny imagining the mouse dragging the trap behind it.

Take care
    YouTrek.com

Having had this problem once before (the mice, not the disappearing traps) I can tell you there is only one mouse trap that really works... and it has 4 legs and a tail... meow

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    LOL @ NewcastleB!

As for the disappearing trap, they usually don't get too far--try looking under a dresser or something else up there that's between 1 and 2 inches off the ground...if you don't see anything, try scraping your feet around these types of areas or near piles of junk/old clothes, and listen for a reaction. This reaction will typically sound like wood being dragged just a little bit.

Once you track it down, a trip out the door (the door to the outside) and opening up the trap-bar will usually take care of the problem. They don't typically run back for another helping of *that*... But if it IS stupid enough to, it's stupid enough to fall for a trap again too and maybe it won't get so lucky next time!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ok, the hair is standing up on my arms reading this thread. You have more guts than I do Leader if you'll cart a mousetrap outside with an injured live mouse still attached. I'd be traumatized for days.

Jane...if the problem ever comes up again think decon! It's worth not having these types of problems to deal with.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Have a heart...trap this way.

Electronic Pest Control

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

BLFH--You just need to be careful taking them out, that's all...

Ssanf--I use those HavaHart traps for the outdoor varmints, but it always takes a rather long ride to make sure they stay away that way!

As for the electronic control, maybe *this* kind...

From the Electronic Pest Control page:

"The Electronic Mouse Trap will quickly and safely eliminate mice from your home It delivers an electrical shock to kill mouse in seconds."

Hm, that may be better than the old wooden traps. At least there wouldn't be that miss rate! *IF* the mice will actually go anywhere near it...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Victor® PestChasers® produce a high frequency sound that effectively repels rodents. This sound is inaudible to people and non-rodent pets. The units cover up to 400 square feet. Sonic pest control is a very effective and a safe and humane way to control rodent pests. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    A friend of ours has sucicidal mice.

He gets up in the morning and there are usually 2 or 3 that have drowned in the toliet!

We told him that must sure put a damper on having the chicks stay the night when he is out doing the bachelor thing.

Can you imagine a girl stumbling to the bathroom half awake, flipping up the lid, taking a seat and then she just happens to glance down!

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar

Wanna buy your trap back?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I hope the mouse just got away with the trap because years ago I had a mouse problem. When trapping them they started disappearing and it turned a rat was hauling them off.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That means soon the entire house will probably stink to high heaven. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>-a dead mouse in an undisclosed location is IMO worse than a live one. We had a couple invade our home and used the poison. One went just fine, but then I began smelling the worst smell, and it was making me crazy till I was tearing up and overturning furniture one afternoon. Found the bloated sucker under the couch. What a nightmare. I can still remember that eau d' mouse.

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first."

I once invested in a 'humane' mousetrap - one where a door closes behind the varmint and you go and release it in the neighbour's garden...

Each morning the 'trap' door was up, the bait was gone.

After a week without sleep due to mice tap-dancing up and down my curtains I caved in and bought some poison.

Horrible way to die....

Had to be done.

did someone say 'mouse'?

[This message was edited by midnightcoder on August 14, 2003 at 03:38 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I vote for a cat as well. Ours regularly catches mice. Thankfully, she stopped bringing them to bed to show us, instead she found if she drops them in the recessed section of our living room, they can be her toy.

When we hear her playing down there, we know whats up and get a box, and take away her absolute favorite toy. Then I drive off to a park and let the mouse loose. She has caught about 10 mice and only killed one and was so sad when she did, just pushing it around with her paw and looking at us with this look of, why won't it run?!??!

Chet

The neigbors are in the garage sale biz, they have junk all over, great breeding grounds. I saw them leave and considered borrowing the cat. Decon is out because they die and smell. I did buy one of those ultrasonic things and it did keep him out of the bedroom wall for 2 nights. He had been waking me up. Then I saw him licking the plates in the diswasher and set the traps. I bought another ultrasonic on the way home last night. Before I discovered the missing trap. The ultrasonic confuses them and it can take several weeks for them to leave. So I have one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom and go to bed. Listen for a limping mouse with a trap stuck to it's foot or tail. I hear a clatter in the living room! Well it was 1 am before I got to go to sleep and my living room is a shambles. Furniture all over. I started moving things and much to my amazement the dog snatched up the mouse and ran outside. Yeah!!! I heard it squeal, hope it had a heart attack. Hope she didn't turn it loose only for it to crawl back in. I think the ultrasonic thing is what drove him out of the kitchen and into the living room. I am keeping these in hopes that they will keep more from moving in.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well if I hear Charlie yelling "Burgular -Burglar" I know a mouse is trying to pilfer some of his sunflower seeds or unsalted peanuts. He'll rat a mouse out in a minute.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Hey, are there any good affiliate programs for ultrasound mouse-zapper thingies?

(Always on the look-out for new ideas...)

Lolol I already decided to make a page out of this and sell those since I am now testing them.
    Amazon has them but not in stock, says will be available soon, but one also says clearence. How can it be on clearance if it isn't even available yet? Let me know if you find any others.

It isn't very high on my 'to do' list, which is pretty massive, since I have a J.O.B. which leaves me at the end of each day with the mental alertness of a sack of potatos (and my ulcers are coming along nicely, too.....)

Well, while I was looking for a NICE mouse trap I discovered that Havahart has an affiliate program.

Havahart Affiliate Program Update

If you sell a better mouse trap, will the world beat a path to your door?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you sell a better mouse trap, will the world beat a path to your door?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if they're searching under the terms you optimize for!

Thanks, I was looking for a merchant that had havahart

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread