Woohoo! I got my first check in the mail today. A whopping $7.20! Watch out MsMarySunshine...I'm catching up.

Seriously though - now that I have caught the bug I think I am ready to start a second sight. The sight I have now is pretty much content and from what I've read here I really need to go into a sales site if I want to make money. Can anyone answer some *really newbie* questions?

I downloaded the trial version of Webmerge and have been able to actually make pages from a datafeed (to my surprise!). If you were brand spanking new at this would you use datafeeds or would you do individual product links? My thoughts are that I can't make a big commitment at this stage for web hosting and if I do product links that will take up less space. Is that right?

I have an idea that I am excited about and I've researched it a bit on Wordtracker and Overture but I am a little scared to take the plunge. How do you make that final decision (or what do you factor in when deciding) to go for it?

Thanks if you are able to offer up any guidance.
    Candace

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I would use a mixture of both to start out with.

That way you can see what is going to work for you and your site.

Congrats on the check! Soon it will be $72.00! and up and up and up.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Michelle said.

As for the space, it depends on the size of the merchant's feed! Some merchants don't need very much space. You can predict how many products are going to be in the feed by looking at the number of product links they have available.*

*Some merchants' feeds are full of junk records that are auto-culled by the product link system, so occasionally YOUR feed will be much larger! But that's rare.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats on your first check. I remember my first check thinking "wow, this actually does work" and taking it to work to show off

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Congratulations Candace! Hopefully within the next year you will be making 50 times more or even more... Keep at it.. .I"m making $350 a month and that is more then half my rent here... Don't give up!

Candace,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I downloaded the trial version of Webmerge and have been able to actually make pages from a datafeed (to my surprise!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a congratulatory effort from ABW on your check, we will be willing to pay for your webmerge purchase, if you should decide it would work for you. If so, please email haiko@abestweb.com and I'll make it happen.

Continued Success,

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Congrats Candace,

If I may take a moment to add my learned experience.

What you start with is what you need to stay with. When you figure the SE's they will always lead visitors to what you started with. When you change the URL's (HTML or feed URLS) you basically have to start all over again in promoting those pages!

How far do you want to go?
    What are your expectations?

Money is an issue when you start

So let say you go with basic HTML pages and AOL free servers….
    What you really want to learn are techs. Make sure your HIGH priority is how to redirect when you advance and change. You want to know how to redirect your OLD pages to your new pages so the SE’s are still good! While your new pages are being indexed, so you have no lose of traffic.

Now where you truly want to be … Home worker making enough to ensure your husband never has to work again!

So the plan should be to maintain the site in the manner you are seeking for the long haul.

GOAL: A database driven site for speed and maintenance, your own server or something similar to Rack space.

Try desperately to keep continuity; constant changes prevent your visitors from trusting you.

But that’s just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps some!

Animal Lover
    Congratulations Candace! I'm still waiting for mine! It's real addictive this affiliate marketing thing - yes my goal is similar to SandraR's - to earn enough so that hubby doesn't have to work again!

Now that I've started, everytime I go to the shops, the first question that pops to mind is, 'will that sell on the net'?!!

Oscar

Congrads!!

Candace this will work just be patient and more will come

Thanks everyone for the encourgement and advice. You are really helping me to stay on the right track.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As a congratulatory effort from ABW on your check, we will be willing to pay for your webmerge purchase, if you should decide it would work for you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko,
    REALLY?! WOW...this site has not stopped amazing me since I first visited. Thank you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now where you truly want to be … Home worker making enough to ensure your husband never has to work again! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SandraR - That is my husbands goal too!

Candace

Congrats And Welcome Candace

UtOpiA StiLL uNBorN

ABW Ambassador
    Hearty congratulations

Grats, Candace - I was there quite recently myself, and now my hosting is being regularly covered every month

Hopefully it's sooner than later that the other bills start getting paid for off my sites, and yours too

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

Affiliate Manager
    Congrats Candace! I hope to see you in the travel world soon- This is the start of big things!

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Congratulations Candace! I hope you see nothing but increases each month! A page a day .. keeps the creditors away!

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

ABW Ambassador
    I showed my first check of ~$25 to a friend prior to depositing it. "Don't spend it all in one place" he chuckled.

After showing off a 12-month CJ trend graph, this friend started picking my brain. Who's chuckling now?

Congratulations Candace. I remember my first check that was for Nov 2002. I was fortunate that my business got going for the Christmas season. That first check was for over $1,500 and it really seemed like a dream. I know I should change to direct deposit but it is so fun to find the checks in mail.

Here's to you having a BIG Christmas season and enjoy some big checks.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread