ABW Ambassador
    Two days ago I went out and bought a golden labrador puppy for my kids and I can no longer concentrate on my work. Not being one to become attached to animals I foresaw no problems, however this little mutt is taking up all of my time. He demands walks every 2 hours or so and sleeps by my feet when I am working. He has even taken to sleeping in my bed much to my wife's horror and she was especially bemused when she discovered me in the bath last night with the puppy. (I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and get us both cleaned up.) What should I do????

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

Sounds pretty serious to me. Don't think there is much you can do except to lengthen your days or you can always get a second little guy to keep the first one company. But then your time might be more monopolized.

Good Luck!

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. - Bill Cosby

Sounds very serious.. I would get another puppy as a companion to the little guy...

Come on, The sign of intelligent people is their ability to control
    emotions by the application of reason.
    -- Marya Mannes, "More in Anger", 1958

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Yep get another Puppy, when I got our dogs we got two, they couldn't careless if we wanted to play or not they were so busy chasing each other

Cheers

Chris

Well I anticipated that problem and adopted an older dog. Hahaha She comes in here and squeaks her rabbit at me until I get up and play. Rawhide works well to keep her busy. You need a break every 2 hours anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for that great suggestion all. Don't know if the cats could handle another dog though. Guess I'll have to go with the 2 hourly breaks.

Man these labradors are so clever. Max is 13 weeks old and sits, shakes hands, no longer tries to eat the cat's food and is mostly housebroken already.

He has turned me into a big softy My wife insisted that he sleep outside last night. Needless to say he spent another night in our bed. I think she is falling for him too. It's just taking a little longer than the 5 minutes it took me

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Don't know if the cats could handle another dog though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I adopted a Queensland Blue Healer who was the ugliest, most obnoxious dog at the shelter cuz I knew no one else would take her. When she's begging for attention I just say, "Where's the kitty?", and away she goes in a flash.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Enjoy the lab and find a swimming hole for him. Last one I had used to swim so far out in the lake I'd need binoculars to see him. Always came back in with a dead fish hidden in his mouth. Uck! They just don't talk very well and certainly can't spell or type. Basic loveable loyal pet material. No way would I let one take a dump on my shoulder.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What should you do? Hope your pages were updated, since you won't be looking at them for awhile...

He'll grow out of needing walks that often soon enough, so just wait it out there.

The one thing I'd do if I did nothing else is get it through his head to stay off the bed! I've had dogs in the past, and getting that message through was essential to me being able to get decent sleep. It may look cute to an onlooker when you get woken up by wet doggy kisses on the lips (that's next), but waking up to a face that's not human looking into your face can get unfun real quick-especially if you start to sleep with "one eye open" in response. And feeling this THING walking around in the bed doesn't exactly bring relaxation either. I had a beanbag chair and they all gravitated to it once they learned that there was No Way I was letting them stay on the bed. (Vinyl--easy cleaning. Throw an acrylic or cotton blanket on top for a nice cushy surface that's truly washable.)

Once dogs are trained that they stay out of my hair and I stay out of theirs, we get along just fine. But there are some other things to teach a dog that are useful (and sometimes fun)...

Here's some things to train a dog that most people don't seem to think of:

"MOVE!" This command means to move over about 5 feet. Good for when the dog is standing in front of the TV screen.

"BEAT IT"--Quit pestering me! Any location is fine as long as it's not in my way.

"SHUT UP!!!"--The obvious. Essential for whiners and yappers (some species are actually bred to yap but are otherwise very nice).

"GET HIM"--Chase a varmint. Fluked in on this when a dog I found already knew the command. This is GREAT for keeping rabbits out of a garden, once the plants are tall enough to handle a dog blasting through...

What was so great about this being a "commanded behavior" as opposed to just the standard instinctual response is that she could be CALLED OFF as well--no uncontrolled barreling in front of cars while fixated on said varmint!

Stay out of the garden--Obvious on the face of it but not quite so simple. To do this one, the dog must be trained to recognize what a "garden" is at all stages of the garden's development. I showed mine the difference between plowed/cultivated ground and ground that hadn't been w*rked, which is something that stays the same no matter what time of the season it is. It's not so much a command as an ongoing behavior--no more than one paw should touch that soft, cultivated earth before the dog backs off. If the message isn't getting through, use a leash and yank him back after a paw touches the garden dirt. He'll soon figure out that the change in soil texture equals the boundary.

Of course, before the above is fully learned, there's "GET OUTTA THE GARDEN!" This will usually jog the memory of the learning pup...

Don't forget about the super hearing dogs have. It comes in handy even for non-hearing-impaired people!

You can teach a dog to bark at/dance circles for/give a response to practically any audible signal, so if there's a sound you're prone to missing have the dog let you know about it. Just make the same general response that you want him to do and he should do it on his own after a while. (Mine were trained to bark for ice cream trucks and stare in the direction of the sound. This gave me plenty of time to find my wallet!)

The standard commands are good too but none (except for "come" and "stay," which can keep the dog from getting in a jam as well as save you from chasing him) are as useful as these.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When she's begging for attention I just say, "Where's the kitty?", and away she goes in a flash. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> We inherited two cats when we moved in here recently and I don't think the landlord would appreciate Max using their cats as playthings. I only see the cats now and again at the moment peering down from trees or from beside trusted escape routes. Maybe I'll send em to Mike to keep Charlie company...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Enjoy the lab and find a swimming hole for him. Last one I had used to swim so far out in the lake I'd need binoculars to see him. Always came back in with a dead fish hidden in his mouth. Uck! They just don't talk very well and certainly can't spell or type. Basic loveable loyal pet material. No way would I let one take a dump on my shoulder.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> We live on a beach beside a really low traffic road. I take him down 4-5 times a day but he is yet to take too much interest in the water. Other dogs down there chase sticks that their family throws into the breakers for hours. Yesterday to get him to fetch I had to throw the stick about 3 feet. Today I've got it up to about 12. Still can't coax him into the water though. I've met more of my new neighbours in the last 3 days than I have in the last month!

Lol!!!. Only you could conceive the thought of a Labrador crapping on your shoulder.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader your advice is so good - as ever - that I have printed it out for future reference.

Thanks heaps Dirk

ABW Ambassador
    AAAAAWWWW!!! Hes under my chair dreaming of his momma and making sucking sounds in his sleep.

Ahhh he's sleeping. Time to make him a web page and let him earn his keep.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi DPG,

I understand totally what you're going through. I adopted a cute little 51 pound bundle of joy in May and I spend about 4 hours a day doing stuff with her (outside of the house.) She's now about 65 pounds and still VERY active all the time.

I took her to obedience class where she was the total star (of course and I've enrolled her in an agility class that starts in a couple of weeks. My only advice is to do whatever you can to tire your pup out. When they are tired they sleep.

I used to criticize parents who parked their kids in front of the TV but if there were a TV for dogs I'd have my little one parked there.

Here's a picture of my little one.

Good luck!

Kip

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for that wonderful insight and picture of your beautiful companion Kip!
    -----------------
    Jane, Funny thing is... about 7-8 months ago I built a skincare site and one of my merchants sells pet 'skincare' products. That page is the highest traffic page on that site and is linked in from stacks of pet pages. Really wierd as it only has 3 products on it. Must be due to its high ranking.
    -----------------

This morning was absolutely glorious. A beautifully calm, clear morning with that crispness in the air you only get after a spell of bad weather. I took Max for his longest walk yet down around 3 beaches and around the point that all the shipping must pass to get into wellington harbour. On the way back, as the tide was really low I stooped under a wooden walkway leading down into the water from a small boatshed/club.

There was a loud snorting/roaring coming from very nearby and I looked up to see a seal charging me from its hideaway under the boatshed. In that split second, not recognizing the image or the sound I bounded up onto the walkway and Max disappeared, yelping into the rocks past the seal. What a wonderful experience! 10 minutes from the heart of the capital on a secluded beach with one of nature's wonders. I am sure that a bit further up the genealogy tree Mr. Seal is related to Max.

On my second walk I ran into an elderly couple and had to endure a recount of thier entire holiday over to Brisbane. I had never met them before Many, Many of my neighbours meet me by name, some of which I am sure I have never met and it is all down to Max

The weather is so wonderful today. What a wonderful life to do what we do and if the weather is good, to be able to step outside and come back when we feel like it.

Affiliate Marketing Rocks!!!!!!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread