oh no my computer took a big dump! I lost my old email messages, lost my favorite links in IE and all my saved content! Wierd My computer just shut down in the middle of surfing the internet and gave me a blue screen with a lot of tech errors, after I rebooted couldn't get into windows at all. Had to go into safe mode and change it to system restore. my computer seems to be working. could this be a virus that caused this? Anyway so pissed this had to happen right now!

xtremeshopping.org: making a difference all over the world!

Well maybe it is not so bad. First lesson before you start your new venture. Get a back up drive!

Retired Member
    maybe it's a virus. There's a major email virus attack going on right now. Do you have a virus checker?

Retired Member

I was using the Norton free version. and It said I had a virus (dcom) but I followed the directions and though I removed it. I have zone alarm right now. but I need to buy a virus checker. Good idea Jane I have a zip drive.. perhaps I should put my important stouff on that?

xtremeshopping.org: making a difference all over the world!

Yeah or burn it to cd. Zip disks sometimes fail.
    I had an external harddrive for backup and it died. Sounded kind of funny when I first got it, but never having had one I said what the heck and kept it. Then one day it got really loud and that was the end.

ABW Ambassador
    Nothing better than an external hard drive, especially if your computer has USB 2.0.

I used to save files onto CD's, but it got old and is the slow way. With an external HD, you can back up everything however often you want, quickly and effortlessly.

Well worth the $199 I spent for my 80GB drive (tax deductible to boot, too).

Jim

I back up my important stuff weekly to two sets of two R/W CDs.

One set stays near the PC, and I keep the other set in the trunk of my car. The car copy is for if I'm away from home and it burns down or some other disaster hits, I've still got a set.

-- Mike

So sorry. I know how you feel. It really sucks.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread