...internet marketing were you already certain that you would be making good money, or did it take you by surprise?

I am curious because I have a feeling that I will make money at this but I am a little apprehensive as I have tried many other things in the past.

Of course, I am hoping to make money when I get my new marketing site up and running.

So, how was it for you at the beginning?

Diane

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Diane

You will make a lot of money

I started back in July 2002, and made my first sale in September 2002. I made $11 for the entire month of September.

Then I had bits here and there. Then Christmas came along, and I was so amazed when I made $500 in December.

This December, I predict $10,000, or maybe even more.

I just went over $6,000 for August.

Yes, it took us by surprise. We made more this August than July, June, May and April put together.

If you can devote time to your sites, and are willing to put a lot of work into it, you can make a lot of money.

The beginning was tough, very difficult. Lots of mistakes (I learned from them though) Lots of days with almost no traffic.
    I remember last September, we had 400 visitors. This August we have had 150,000 visitors

You can do it if you have the determination, and you can devote a lot of time and effort

ABW Ambassador
    We started on the www in 1997 with 200 forums related to healthcare.
    Sold banner ads to a healthcare related website to offset costs.

Lost the advertiser in 1999 when they were purchased by WebMD

Joined an affiliate program 3/15/1999 and sold BANNERS to ourselves and began making $.

I though that if the STUFF would sell on a general interest site it might sell better on a product/service specific domain. It did. So we trash the forums and never looked back. If I'd known of adsense I'd would have kept the forums that ran Matt's Scripts.

[typo]

[This message was edited by Adam Ward on August 31, 2003 at 12:48 PM.]

Good afternoon Julian,

I am really encouraged by your response. I know it will take a lot of hard work, thankfully I am prepared to do that. So, if hard work is what it takes I should be on the road to some success.

Also, I have the best mentor/teacher imaginable, how can I possibly fail?

As always, it's good to see you.

Diane

I'm encouraged by your post also, Adam. And I will say, if I am half as successful as you folks at this forum, I will be very happy and content.

Not sure if we have chatted before or not, regardless, its nice to meet and chat with you.

Thank you for your post.

Diane

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats CJshopping thats a nice increase.
    Are you doing this with just one site or do you have several?
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Cazzie, I have 2 sites

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, if hard work is what it takes I should be on the road to some success.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am sorry but I wanted to clarify this. To steal a line from the most excellent LEADER, "It is not about working hard. It is about working smart." A garbage collector works hard every working day of his life but he will never be rich.

Also making money out of affiliate marketing is not automatic. There are many, many people involved that have never and will never make any decent money. Most of the people that post on this board are in the 95th percentile of money makers out of this following. What this means is that 95% or the people involved in our area are worse off than us.

Needless to say you are in the right place for success. My advice (and I am definitely a middle of the roader as far as earners here are involved) is research, research, research all aspects of your business. When you have made something that works, duplicate it into other product areas. At least once a year re-evaluate EVERY aspect of your business and try to figure out how you can do it BETTER, FASTER, CHEAPER. IF you only discover 10 things a year that are an improvement on how you did it last year that is a huge advantage.

Always look for processes that can save you time. Automate as much as possible. You need your focus up on the front line in the SERPS where it belongs.

To start off with you will be following others ideas and trying to make them work for you. You need to get past this at some stage and start developing your own ideas to place you ahead of the pack. The only way to do this is to empower yourself with as much knowledge about how things work today so that you can decide how things will work tomorrow. That is where the money is.

ABW's best advisor didn't choose her handle by accident

All the best, DPG

[This message was edited by DPG on August 31, 2003 at 03:51 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Thanks, DPG.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, how was it for you at the beginning?~Diane <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bit slower than expected, but once I stopped listening to the "content is king" crowd things took off! Watching the big boys of bricks-n-mortar can be helpful as long as you can discern where they are right and where they're smoking something. But people are people whether they're online or not so some things remain the same! In this case, the fact that companies usually use ADVERTISING (not info/entertainment content) to sell things because it WORKS! (Product placement in movies counts as Advertising unless TheirParticularBrand is actually integral to the storyline.)

I was quite sure this would work for me when I started. Advertising had always been an interest of mine, and so had writing, so it was a quite good match. Plus, it didn't have any of the negatives I had decided not to put up with anymore (negatives like a boss, having to go to a place, etc.)!

How I decided to do aff. marketing is a bit backwards from how most people seem to choose a course of action. Instead of making a list of what I liked, I made a list of things I did NOT want to tolerate anymore AT ALL! When I noticed a "make money with your website" link and clicked it, I wasn't thinking of that list, but I later realized that aff. marketing was the only thing that doesn't violate at least one of the things on the No-Touch list.

There's too many facets of this biz to get them all in a post--but as for w*rking, I try to avoid it. If I DO do effort, you can bet I MAKE IT COUNT! Be efficient! Efficiency not only allows you to be more productive, it leaves you more time to be gloriously UNproductive. Being Unproductive is a pleasure generally denied (empl*yed) working stiffs so revel in it as much as you can without hurting your earnings.

It's also a matter of AIM: Those who say they "work hard" tend to be extremely proud of that fact ( ) but what happens is that what they do brings them more work. But what most people here want is more MONEY not more work!

Aim at what you want to hit. If you're aiming for more MONEY, you should automatically gravitate toward the Most Efficient Ways to do Everything because those ways will allow you to make more Money in the same amount of time.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    I think that you need to test different ideas, and see what works for you.

It is true that not everyone will earn a living from affiliate marketing. I have read that only avout 5% of affiliates make any money.

Working hard does not lead to earning tons of money. There is a lot more to it than that.

I am not motivated by money. I am motivated by not having to work for someone else ever again in my entire life.

It is strange, but my brother and I have both ended up working at home. Neither of us want to work for someone else ever again. It is actually the only thing that we have in common. Our lives have gone in completely different directions, but we have both ended up building web sites. We don't even live in the same country, or even on the same continent

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am not motivated by money. I am motivated by not having to work for someone else ever again in my entire life. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That tends to require money!

No empl*yment + no cardboard box is also a great motivator for me. But I do like money, too! The call of the Good Life has made its way to my ears!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am not motivated by money. I am motivated by not having to work for someone else ever again in my entire life. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That tends to require money! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in the middle of nowhere, look after a 3 year old and do not drive, so getting a job would be difficult anyway. The money is nice, but it isn't what motivates me

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is strange, but my brother and I have both ended up working at home. Neither of us want to work for someone else ever again. It is actually the only thing that we have in common. Our lives have gone in completely different directions, but we have both ended up building web sites. We don't even live in the same country, or even on the same continent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Barry?

Oh come on! Was that a joke or is this for real?

ABW Ambassador
    Was what a joke?

ABW Ambassador
    Money motivates me

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

>>>…To steal a line from the most excellent LEADER, "It is not about working hard. It is about working smart." A garbage collector works hard every working day of his life but he will never be rich.>>>

LOL

Well, I have to be honest, when I said that, I was meaning I will give it 100% effort. I have so much to learn about this business but I am prepared to do whatever it takes to succeed. That’s mainly the type of work I was talking about. The feeling of accomplishment. My question was more geared towards initial feelings when you all first embarked upon this career.

You see, I have worked for myself for the past 10 years and the reason I want to get involved with this is because I really believe it is something I will enjoy doing. Plus, I am an artist and I like to create things. Also, I have always wanted to get into site building/designing and this will give me the opportunity. But I would be lying if I said that money wasn’t the main motivator, it is. I can see tremendous potential in this field and I honestly just want to be part of it. Does that sound selfish?

Diane

Hello Leader, I have heard a lot about you, it's a pleasure to meet you.

Thank you so much for such an insightful post, I enjoyed reading it.

As I said in my earlier post, I really think I am going to enjoy doing this for some of the same reasons you gave. I have been working for myself for the past 9 years and I have truly enjoyed the freedom that comes with that. However, I want to prepare myself to be in a place in life where I don't have to think about having to work. I want to be able to come and go as I please but still earn a living.

That's why this will be perfect for me. I know initially I will have to devote many hours and expend a lot of energy to get it off the ground but I am really looking forward to it. I would start this very second if I could, but I have to wait until my domain name is registered. I already have a few web sites but I wanted to start fresh with this one and not just add onto the other sites.

I'm also really looking forward to getting to know you all so I can share in the joy of internet marketing.

Diane

I started out just doing a website to escape the real world when I was going thru a deep depression after our house burnt down 6 years ago.

I started adding affiliate links just so I could buy thru my own links and get some cash back. I started adding coupons just to help my self keep track of them. But somehow other people found my site and started buying thru my links too.

It all just happened by accident, I never started out planning on making any money. I think if I had tried to do this on purpose it never would have worked out.

And now I have to work twice as hard to make half the money!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Julian my e-mail server is down at the moment, I have e-mailed you it will just take a little time to get there.

I knew that my bro was making money on the internet but when he bought 2 brand new cars and a big house and didn't have a "day job" I started paying attention.
    I've been at it for 14 months. I'm yet to the point where I can quit my day job... but I'm close Thanks bro!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm making enough to cover the car note, that's it.

I started off making a small informational site.
    Making the site was a hobby to provide info for a very small niche group of people.

I found that I ranked at the top of the SERPs for a product that had a one-sentence mention on my site. I promote everything in that product's category now.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

the trick in my opinion to be successful is to work smart, creative and come up with new ideas on how to premote. Make some difference pages and after they get indexed in google watch there stats and if they don't convert then you know what works and what doesn't. Just enjoy making that pag and $$$ will come. You don't have to work hard but smart, Like what leader has had. My business is starting to see amazing traffic and $$$.

Move it to a new future
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...614#8596049614

xtremeshopping.org: making a difference all over the world!

In Contrast to :<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A garbage collector works hard every working day of his life but he will never be rich.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Check out http://www.wm.com/

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread