What is the best webpublisher out there? something that is simple

Just Lurking
    Do you mean something like Microsoft Front Page or Dreamweaver?

Many find MS Front Page easy to use but then your locked into it. Meaning the server you host on need to support Front Page. Generally, such servers are more expensive to maintain and some Host just won't offer it.

Dreamweaver uses FTP and if setup correctly will be just as easy. FTP is usually available on most any server. I perfer Dreamweaver. But to tell you the truth I use just a text editor mostly and FTP client.

For the absolute beginner, MS Front Page is going to be the simplist to use. (I will have to punish myself for saying that.)

Thanks

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >host on need to support Front Page.

Not necessarily.

If you use any of the FP bots and tools, such as TOC generator, then you need FP extension on the server which can be installed on both Win or *nix servers. You will also need to publish (upload) using FP.

However, if you do not use any of the FP tools, which then gives clean code, you can upload to any server using a seperate FTP program.

Woz

dWoz - serious webmaster resources.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Woz:
    >host on need to support Front Page.

Not necessarily.

If you use any of the FP bots and tools, such as TOC generator, then you need FP extension on the server which can be installed on both Win or *nix servers. You will also need to publish (upload) using FP.

However, if you do not use any of the FP tools, which then gives clean code, you can upload to any server using a seperate FTP program.

Woz

http://www.dwoz.com/ - _serious webmaster resources_.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I didn't mean to imply that *nix server couldn't support FrontPage. The Host I was refering to was the poor bastard who keep the servers running. Not the server itself.

On *nix servers, the FP extension is a PITA. It's also something you need root access to install. So until you get a dedicated server, make sure FP extension is working properly on any *nix machine before you commit valuable assets. Make sure the host is committed to supporting the FP extension. Just because it's in the package doesn't mean they support it.

Cpanel and FP extension don't mix well, try Ensim or Plesk servers they're better. It works fine on Window servers, gee go figure?

Linux servers are generally cheaper in terms of bandwidth. Taking the time to learn to use FTP will save you time and money.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The simplist WAS the basic "FrontPage Express" that came with Win98 and was a free download from Microsoft. You could call up any page hosted with FP extensions ( majority have this option) make WYSIWYG changes and save. $$Bill Bill decided a free simple editor generated no revenue so after FP2000 Free hosting extension pkg the FP Express Version's simple edit and FTP page save no longer worked.

All my clients used to be able to make simple page revisions ...add photos without learning the FP explorer/editor package. You'd be hard pressed to NOT FIND a hosting company offering Frontpage server extensions. Big bummer now is you can only salfely FTP FROM the hosted site files ....not to the Hosted file folders.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    HomeSite hands down winner. Really cool functions like Snippet builder, hand coded HTML with Tab bar quick coding and a WYSIWIG option too. Built in FTP too.

Cheers

Chris

Dreamweaver...I love it

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread