High speed internet just became available in my area via the cable co.
    I'm having it installed on the 21st.

I just found out that a few days after the cable co. anounced availability, the phone co. made DSL available.

Has anyone compaired the two for real. I've read the poop sheet on both and they each claim to be fastest but I would like to hear from some body with 1st hand experience.

CDC

ABW Ambassador
    Cable is faster, but depending on what you're doing the speed difference may not be terribly noticeable.

Compare the rates and let the cost be a factor in your decision. In my area at least, the rate for cable is the same as DSL.

------------------------------

All your SERP's are now belong to us. Shall we sell for you? Or shall we sell for your competitor?

ABW Ambassador
    I just dumped dsl for cable. I had sbc and just couldn't take that I never once got the same bill twice, even though the costs were fixed.

The service was slower, more expensive and had periodic outages. Cable so far (two weeks) is much, much, much fast down, about the same up.

Comparison - my down for dsl was supposed to be up to 786 but the fastest i ever saw was 300. My cable is supposed to be 3,000 but regularly see it at over 4,000.

Chet

Either way you'll never ever go back to dialup! As a matter of fact you won't even like using someone else's computer whose using dialup.

You will love cable! DSL seems slow to me after being spoiled by cable. The one thing I do hate is the lack of competition in this area, which means prices just go up, Up, UP!

Where I live, there's only one cable company and they advertise on TV how it's "all about you, the customer." BULL! It's all about the customer sending them money every month. And it's all about offering less for more money.

But there's nothing else you can do if they're the only team on the field.

Anyway, you'll really have fun zipping around the Internet. You can get more done, but I've found I'm now more impatient with sites that load slowly.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I can honestly say that cable changed my life. I started my site using dial-up and it took me forever to work on my site. Now with cable I can upload files so much faster and work in CJ, Linkshare etc much faster

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Go with Cable.

I have had DSL, my parents at their business and home. Since I pretty much fix their problems, I know all too well the hassle of dealing with the phone company.

I agree with what everyone else has said and in addition, the phone companies are generally full of red tape. Dealing with them is a headach! The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and "that's not my job" is everywhere.

Go with cable.

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

Thanks for the input...

I use DSL at my "day job" and so I'm already pulling my hair out while using dial-up at home.
    I've never had any experience with cable. I'm glad to hear that the general consensus is that cable is the way to go.

Thanks Again,
    CDC

DSL isn't highspeed (broadband) internet. Comparing it to cable is like comparing Apples and PC's.

Make your time

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I live out in the sticks, no cable, no dsl, never will have either.

I switched to Satellite Internet the end of September and I LOVE it!

So far no outages, even in bad weather. Snow will be the real test though I imagine. Either way, it came with a dial up account as backup so if it were to go down, I have that to fall back on.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Comparison - my down for dsl was supposed to be up to 786 but the fastest i ever saw was 300. My cable is supposed to be 3,000 but regularly see it at over 4,000.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ugh.... my cable download is about 300k down and 28k up! I'm gonna switch to a business account soon and get 2000/128 for about $20 more/month.

Can you believe they want $50/month for a dedicated IP!! I wish there was another way of doing this... notifying Linkshare every time it changes is a real pita

OMG!

I finally got my cable internet hooked up. I bought a new computer because my old one was the same model used on the Flintstones!

I've never experienced the internet this way!

I need a seat belt for my office chair!!!

As God as my witness, I'll never use dial-up again... I hope

CDC

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    My cable modem has never tested below 1.2 Megabytes per second. CDC can now even view my pages....LOL

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

well, when I ran the speed check here http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ I get 1.2MBps on this PC and 40Kbps on the other

I'm on cable here, mine came in at 3 megabits per second. It said my connection was fantastic.

There's no substitute for speed on the Internet.

Andy

Yeah yeah Andy... talk about kicking a guy when he's down

BTW, the cable company wrote to us and told us we had been upgraded to a 3MBps connection at no extra cost! Shame I see no improvement!!

Anyone know if non-DOCSIS modems are really hurting cable users these days? I still have the original Motorola modem

I moved about 3 months ago and I cannot get DSL or cable
    I have had DSL for so long I forgot how bad dial-up is. Now the fastest I can connect at home is 31kbs That is if I dont get booted every 2 minutes
    I can get cable TV where I live but they "do not support broadband internet at this time".
    The worst part is they have a monopoly in my area so I am not going to hold my breath for them to support broadband any time soon.
    I still have DSL at my business so I am trying to do all my AM work here as well as help customers. Getting distracted every 5 minutes is also a pita but it beats
    BTW CDC is my little brother so I am a little with envy.
    At least I know what to get him for Christmass.
    SEATBELTS LOL

Bob

"I did'nt get where I'm at today by worrying about how I'm going to feel tomorrow."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    DSL isn't highspeed (broadband) internet. Comparing it to cable is like comparing Apples and PC's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heyder, I think it really depends on how your local companies are setup. Some cable companies ensure that one node has fewer homes so cable speed can be high. But other areas where many of your neigbours have cable, overall speed decreases during peak hours. Now DSL is different. DSL is a direct link to your local telephoen companies switch so to speak so the only slowness you feel is actually from the "Internet" itself. This is just simple example of course.

It is different here in Canada. I believe we pay much less for highspeed DSL (our DSL is 1.5 Megabits / sec) and cable (up to 10 Megabits / sec) than US residents. If you are in one of our downtown bcondos, they are all wired with Cat-% so you can use a 10 Megabit line for your Internet. You can get 6 Mgbit up AND 6 Mbit down. Indeed, we are lucky.

Hope this make sense. End of day for me.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread