I read this story and just had to shake my head. The American work ethic is a screwy thing! The typical American worker is working 9 weeks more than counterparts in other industrialized nations. You can read the full story here. As for me, I'm buying a lottery ticket and going home to play some PS2!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Wow. That's ridiculous. Even moreso that everyone I know is like that, especially in L.A.

Nice article, Karl. Thanks.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com
    Help Fight Parasite Ware - We Do!

Well considering my more than full time day job and my affiliate business I probably am working more like 20 weeks more a year.

But then consider the financial situations most countries are in... Anything good doesn't come easy. If you want to live the better life you need lots of cash...

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

<TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=600><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But then consider the financial situations most countries are in... Anything good doesn't come easy. If you want to live the better life you need lots of cash...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...I think currently the financial situation of the US is quite the same compared to other industrialized nations.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you want to live the better life you need lots of cash... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a better life if you spend all your time w*rking and therefore don't have time to *enjoy* it!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you want to live the better life you need lots of cash... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a better life if you spend all your time w*rking and therefore don't have time to *enjoy* it!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed! The article didn't say *all* it said *more*. The fact is the U.S. is the wealthiest nation...

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

<TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=600><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD> <TD><FONT SIZE=1>FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the author's point was that, yes, we have more money, but we also spend almost 20% more of our lives working, the rest of it under unnecessary stress, and lose out on the bond between people, even our own families, because we put work and "success" first. I'm sure we can all agree that money is nice, but there's a huge cultural difference in the priorities of most Americans and other nations. Granted, its made us rich as a country, but we've lost site of the finer things...outside of cars and dining.

Joe Flores
    "Profitman"
    Affiliate Manager
    www.AffiliateFuel.com
    jflores@affiliatefuel.com
    Help Fight Parasite Ware - We Do!

I was in Souda Bay Create Greece 92' for nine months (beautiful people and the city too)
    everyday around 2pm everything stops and they do a siesta with family, Kid's goes home from school to be with their family and they take their naps!

They always doing something together, the city is small and not to glamorous but the people are more rich in family value than anywhere else. They do work hard, but they know that taking that siesta everyday is needed! Awesome City!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Just Lurking
    I sometimes think these kinds of articles are totally based on bull.

40 hour work week? I've known too many people working 80 hours plus a week at one, two or three jobs. A lot of them moms who leave the kids with the grandparents and are lucky to see them once a month. But, what really scares the out of me has been the older people. The Grandads and Grandmas working 80+ hours a week because sponse needs medician or just trying to pay the bills.

I use to fill in for these 80+ hour a week people when they hit the wall, ran off the road, missed the stop light or just had a heart attack. Down here in Florida they call this job in security the rover. They say it's because your always moving from site to site. But, anyone who ever had the job knows it's because they work you like a dog.

I remember filling in for this one old guy (70+) who just snapped one morning rammed someone who ran a red light. This is what he told me, "I Got that er good." He drove a big old Caddie, bet he did. He was working 80 hour a week to take care of his bedridden wife. Mean nasty old man and he'ld never let anyone know why he was working 80 hours a week. I never let him know that I knew about his wife which he ragged on just about every time I saw him. He could never figure out why he couldn't get to me like he did everyone else he worked with. No one liked him and that's the way he liked it.

I remember filling in for this single mom who's first day off from work in years was spent by her kid's bed in intesive care. Kid had been in a car accident with the gandparents. She had three jobs. I don't know what happen to her, I don't remember her coming back to work.

I remember filling in for a friend when he had a heart attack on the job, he was working 92 hours a week. He was 60+ years old at the time and he was just trying to pay the medical bills and keep the car going not to mention keep food on the table. I use to relieve him earily so he could go home and maybe get some sleep. He never got too much sleep, too many doctor appointments. Him and his wife moved to Oklahoma with their kids, grandkids and great-great grand kids about a year ago and went bankrupt. He died a coulpe of months ago. He was a tough SOB! 92 in hours a week with a god damn hernia and emphysema.

If this is the American Dream it sucks. Work like a dog and die no better off than a dog. Rather be dead than go back to working like that.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What kind of j*b was THAT? In English, please--"the rover" doesn't translate for me...

Whatever it is, it sounds like h*ll!

*Somehow can't get the image of a gone-postal old WalMart greeter in a Caddy out of my mind, although that j*b didn't seem THAT bad...*

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buddha:
    If this is the American Dream it sucks. Work like a dog and die no better off than a dog. Rather be dead than go back to working like that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

America is a great country of opportunities. If you want to be successful, America gives you a better chance than for instance most European countries. Also because of the lower American taxes. That's why America often outperforms Europe with economic growth.

On the other hand Europe is better for the not so lucky people. The government takes care of everyone who can't take car of him/herself.

Both America and Europe have their good sides and their downsides.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    What kind of j*b was THAT? In English, please--"the rover" doesn't translate for me...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Security Guard, I filled in empty posts. Rover as in roving or wondering from post to post. Or as in Rover, a name you give a dog. Some Agencies called them floaters, when they used that word you known you were in for it. It meant some idiot, who has no idea where the posts are, was going to be making your schedule.

In Florida, Security Guards are licensed and most work for Licensed Security Agencies. The problems is most agencies pay little better than minumum wage while charging the clients anywhere from $15 to $35 an hour. (If every guard know this there would be a lot more of them going postal.) Overtime, if managed, hardly effects the profit margins. Even unmanaged they still can make a substantial profit for awhile. Security in Florida is more about Sales than Security.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread