Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I just want to thank ABW and the members who make up this great community. If it weren't for these forums, I would have very little hope of ever obtaining my economic freedom!
    Why do I bring this up?
    [RANT]
    Well, I just got out of a meeting at my day J*b and I've just about had it. There's always at least one employee who seems to get away with anything and everything. Well, here we have a couple. One in particular can't do her job, so her work gets dumped on us. Rather than reprimand her, they give her more time to chat w/ our coworkers about such important work-related topics as scrapbooking. Yes, I am being very sarcastic, but it's true... About all she's able to do is kiss our supervisor's ass just right. The best part is that she's in charge of our time sheets, so her days off don't get documented, while she nitpicks ours down to the minute! I can't wait to get out of this place...it's seriously killing me inside.
    [/RANT]
    All that keeps me going is knowing that I have sites that are giving me that extra income and that, hopefully, someday they'll help me leave this place far behind.
    So, thank you ABW & its members for showing me what's possible, and helping me get there! I'll be moving soon, and will be trying to get a new j*b, until I become fully independent

Zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!

It's situations like yours that pain those of us you pride ourselves on our ability to manage.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

ABW Ambassador
    I'd give {insert second favorite body part here} for a decent manager! Every time someone brings up something about this person to him, he claims that it's the first time he's ever heard about that... what a load of BS! It's too much coincidence that they were both out on the same day last week

Die Parasites Die!!

Well, working in this business, there's always at least one affiliate who seems to get away with anything and everything. We, in fact, have a couple. One in particular doesn't even make a web site, so all their commisions are stolen from us. Rather than reprimand her, they give her more time to "fix" the program. Yes, I am being very sarcastic, but it's true... About all she's able to do is kiss our networks's asses just right. The best part is that she's in charge of many coupons, so we can't offer our customers the same deal, and we may be terminated for lack of sales! I wish they would get out of this place...it's seriously killing me inside.

This is a great way to earn a living but it isn't any more fair than the "real" world.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Celicaphile:

If you're even interested in moving East, let me know. I know a place with a good manager and it won't take a body part to work for him.

Ssanf: Fairness is a difficult thing to come by in any environment.

Karl Smith
    ---------

ABW Ambassador
    SSanf,
    That's actually a really good way of looking at things... difference is I'd be my own boss, rather than working for the govt, who doesn't seem to care about the bottom line...

Philly,

Die Parasites Die!!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celicaphile:
    I'd give {insert second favorite body part here} for a decent manager! Every time someone brings up something about this person to him, he claims that it's the first time he's ever heard about that... what a load of BS! It's too much coincidence that they were both out on the same day last week

http://www.zimpy.com - Make a statement!

Die Parasites Die!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definetly Shagging.

Download Site Map Creator Today

ABW Ambassador
    My thoughts exactly, Andy.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is a great way to earn a living but it isn't any more fair than the "real" world.~Ssanf<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but at least you don't have to be stuck in the same physical office with Paul Nichols as a co-worker (who has the authority to nitpick your time cards no less) all day long!

And you can pick and choose your merchants--the networks don't make you promote any particular one.

It's much harder to mitigate unfairness in an office, where you can be fired!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Definitely Shagging. ~G<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Celicaphile,

I'll bet many of us who've had outside employment have been through this. I once thought to myself after meeting a new boss "I'm going to be training this nit wit!"

And I did. They were totally useless. Complete fluff, no substance at all. Problems? You fix it. Ongoing issues? What do you suggest we do about this? No ideas, no brains, nothing. Road kill.

I suspect my boss was shagging it to the top of the corporate ladder as well, although I can't imagine anyone finding them that attractive!

@ Leader: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yeah but at least you don't have to be stuck in the same physical office with Paul Nichols as a co-worker (who has the authority to nitpick your time cards no less) all day long!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Brrr...it's cold outside today, but that thought really made me shiver!

Andy

Andy

No corporate shagging here...

Karl Smith
    ---------

Don't forget the good old-fashioned 'Dilbert' principle.

If you have someone who is totally incompetent, who you can't easily get rid of, what do you do with them?

You promote them laterally - somewhere where they at least can't cause too many problems.

You invent a job for them.

You make them a manager.

I've found, time and time again, at my own expense, the worst thing you can do is be really good at your job. That makes you indispensable.

You will never get anywhere.

I got my parasiteware sweatshirt!!!
    (Gordon, eat your heart out :-) )

Radegast:

I realize I have a skewed view since I am in management, but I believe I have been very good at my previous jobs (some of which were management, too). I have not been moved laterally; instead, I have been placed in spots where leadership and strong management skills are necessary.

I realize it's easy to paint all management (and corporations) with a Dilbert-type brush, but those generalizations, like most generalizations, are simply not applicable to all situations.

OK, stepping down from my

Karl Smith
    ---------

Karl

No offense - I know there are good managers, I've had the pleasure to work with some.

I'm hurting a bit inside from a recent experience.

I still think there are 9 Dilberts for every good manager.

My director is shagging the HR director, which I think compromises their positions in the business somewhat. Funny thing is that they think we don't know.. but odd that they're always on holiday at the same time, always in each other's offices and when we had a departmental away day they were sharing the same hotel room. (It's not relevant that both directors are women, so I won't mention it).

I had by EPR (Employee Perfomance Review) last week and to be honest I suprise myself at what a top-notch employee I appear to be. They were very pleased with me.. the only problem was I didn't give any kind of stuff if my EPR was good or bad because the only reason I do the job is that it's $40,000 a year before tax and frankly I don't find it difficult and quite enjoy it.

So my dilemma is that they have quite high expectations of me, the money isn't bad, my departmental manager is darned good. But do I cut the ties and go it alone?

Actually, I guess it's down to my manager who is some sort of managerial superhuman. If he goes, then I guess it'll be time for me to go too

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Radegast:

Understood. No offense taken.

BTW, I agree that there are far too many people who fit the description and are worthy of the Dilbert-esque tag.

Karl Smith
    ---------

'Moo

You sound quite well placed. It's probably right for you to stay there unless you have a good reason to leave.

I've had 'gentleman of leisure' thrust upon me - it's a good wake-up call.

(Must build pages... must build pages...)

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    That happened in my first career, supervisor didn't even interview me for a job I applied for, brought in a woman from a different department, kicked me out of my office - which adjoined his - moved her into my old office, stuck me in with the file servers, and surprise, surprise, turns out they were both married and both an 'item' on the side. He didn't give a dang about screwing my career, as long as he got a little booty on the side.

Grrrr.... still ticked off about that.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    I've found, time and time again, at my own expense, the worst thing you can do is be really good at your job. That makes you
    indispensable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps this is where I went wrong...of course, I know they can't get rid of me easily, and I sure-as-hell wouldn't train my replacement!
    I'm the only person in the state who does what I do (one of my duties) for our agency.

Die Parasites Die!!

Well, the irony is that I was sure I was going to be made redundant, so I worked extra hard on my sites to give me a fallback position. And now.. errrr.. well the fallback position is doing OK. And they got rid of pretty much everyone else except me at work. Hmmmm.

As for Dilbert.. well it's a regular occurance that I read my Dilbert calendar and think "hey, that actually happened here the other day".

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I've found, time and time again, at my own expense, the worst thing you can do is be really good at your job.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Totally agreed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That makes you indispensable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Indispensable? Perhaps. But usually it means you work more for less.

Being away from a corporate office for almost one year myself, sometimes I have an itch to go back to an office (don't attack me). It's pretty sad if I say that those petty office politics could be "fun" compared to a lack of human contacts. But then the thought of going back to an office doesn't last, and I sit right in front of my PC to build more pages.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Dynamoo- Sent a suggestion in to Dilbert a while back, he answered, but I never noticed it appear in a strip. One of the places I applied to required me to take a psychological profile test as part of my application, and I thought he could have some fun with that...

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

My 'Dilbert' was a staunch believer in psychological profile tests...

AT - there's a lot to be said for those 'coffee machine' conversations, and the general 'buzz' of working with others.

Working on your own isn't for everybody.

It suits me quite well. (I just need to make it work...)

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    As for Dilbert.. well it's a regular occurance that I read my Dilbert calendar and think "hey, that actually happened here the other day".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of people around here (govt. offices in general) agree w/ almost everything in Dilbert...
    I made "Top 10 Reasons to be a State Worker" products at the site in my signature...things I see daily... Here they are:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1. More $$ is spent laying off employees to save $$
    2. Move ahead by doing less, or nothing at all
    3. Tax payers pay for your 20 trips to the restroom
    4. You'll no longer have a need for self-respect
    5. You get to take credit for other people's work
    6. You'll find out what mgmt. should NOT be like
    7. You'll always have an updated resume
    8. Make doing nothing seem like you're busy
    9. Learn valueable lessons in back-stabbing
    10. You will be treated like an equal...yah right!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Die Parasites Die!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> there's a lot to be said for those 'coffee machine' conversations, and the general 'buzz' of working with others.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, things like, "Apparently the suspect went postal at the office because..."

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast