Hi,

I was wondering what the standard was for dealing with exit traffic. I would like to test out an exit traffic page but can't think of a technical way to do it. Since my sites have some target="blank" for affiliate links, would't a popup be triggered on all of these clicks? I only want to trigger one popup or 1 page when the user completely leaves my domain.

1. Anyone have a technical suggestion
    2. Should I stay away form exit traffic marketing. I don't want to make my users mad but would like to test out an exit traffic campaign.

Looking for some feedback thanks!

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

I think the best way to do it is with a pop-under. When you get into trying to pop when someone exits the domain it gets really annoying if it doesn't work properly and visitors can get irate. I know this from experience. We utilize a simple pop-under off of our zip code search that produces excellent results. By the way, Dentalplans would be a great pop-under for your site!

Evan Weber, Director of Marketing
    DentalPlans.com, Inc.
    Earn $50 per sale with one of the best converting offers online!
    954-583-9186
    evan@dentalplans.com

Hey Evan,

You mean a pop under when the user lands on my site initially?

Still awaiting your comments on my last PM. Did ya get it?

Thanks,

Ian

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    604-596-9766

ABW Ambassador
    Why not say goodbye graciously and let them go?

Speaking as a site "visitor," I hate pop-unders almost as much as as pop-ups and sites that screw with the back-button. If I leave a site and find my screen littered with spy-camera & cheap tickets ads, I know I won't be returning. I usually find these tricks on sites with little of value anyway.

I've got content sites with returning visitors that I don't want to piss off with cheap gimmicks.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I usually find these tricks on sites with little value anyway.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, why not spend your time figuring out how to keep them on your site instead of following them out the door.

One simple idea is to have a link similar to this.....

Thanks for visiting our site and before you leave be sure to book mark ***.com today since we are always adding new resources to make your visit a pleasant one.

I think is a good idea and better than a popup, but again I may be wrong, I was just thinking like a new visitor to that site...

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, I hate sites that never let me leave. You know, those that show one pop up after another whenever you try to leave the site. I tried to leave 1 such site and it pop up 7 different windows, each one appearing after I closed the previous one, trying to sell me their stuff. I'll never buy anything from that site.

On the other hand, a pop under asking you to subscribe to a very useful newsletter related to your site, should be quite ok.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

Thanks everyone for your input. I have read varying responses from different sources about using popups / pop unders. I know most people hate it (me included) and it is exactly what I want to test. The efficacy of it all. For some sites, as WHT (hey good to see ya posts again!) pointed out, is not offensive and can in fact benefit the end user. As long as you offer what the user may want.

Thanks again everyone. Hope sales are going through the roof for you guys & gals. Traffic took a nose dive the last few days for my personal sites.

Rest up from all that good food and shopping!

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    604-596-9766

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread