ABW Ambassador
    NEVER AGAIN!
    Arg.. my gf had been wanting to go for some time now and today was the day

There was a really nice Burger King right next to it, but noooo, we had to go to sushi place..

Oh look, how cute, they have chopsticks.. she said..

First the brough some soup.. it looked good, but there was no spoon and the chopsticks didn't look very useful there so.. it felt kind of weird to just drink of the bowl...

Then they brought the rice.. that tasted ok, but have any of you tried to eat rice with chopsticks?! After trying for 15 minutes I decided it was impossible.

Sushi was next That thing was nasty! Tried one of the little rice balls with raw fish and was about to puke right there, I had no idea something could taste soooo bad.

We thought it was over, the waiter asked if we wanted some tea, and we were actually happy to have something normal.. spoke to soon.. that thing looked horrible, some kind of swamp green with little things floating inside.. tasted like fish food.. exactly the same!

After paying about $40 for nothing we went to the Burger King next door for real food...

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>really nice Burger King<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely a contradiction in terms?

I like Japanese food actually.. but you're best off with some Japanese beer like Sapporo or Kirin. And the key thing for raw fish is lots of soy or teriaki sauce and wasabi (the hot mustard). Try not to think about what you're eating too much though!

Mind you, I enjoy eating pretty much everything with the exception of beetroot, snails and brussel sprouts.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Bad luck Javi, not all Japanese restuarants are the same though - next time you feel brave enough try a Japanese restuarant that serves cooked food - you sit around a type of bar and the chef prepares and cooks the food right in front of you - its absolutely delicious.

all the best

Ron

Why not get your website to rank amongst the top 6% of popular sites as measured by Alexa.com - to find out more visit me at http://www.greater-health-n-wealth.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Javi:
    it felt kind of weird to just drink of the bowl... Then they brought the rice.. that tasted ok, but have any of you tried to eat rice with chopsticks?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> They're supposed to give you a funny looking ceramic spoon to eat the soup with and the rice is supposed to be extra starchy so you can pick up big clumps of it That said, it sounds like you went to a Japanese Sushi Bar instead of a full-fledged hibachi style Japanese restaurant - where they usually serve soup (with the spoon), salad, then a "cooked" shrimp appetizer and a main course also "cooked" on the grill in front of you. I've been going to Japanese restaurants for decades, but have yet to eat raw fish

Shabu Shabu, Tempura and Yakiniku!
    I have had all three in the US and in Japan and they are all fantastic!
    I've had Good Sushi in both the US and Japan but the best was in Japan. Put enough wasabi on it and it's all good...

CDC

Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optomism to have posed the question in the first place. (John Cleese: Cheese Shop)

ABW Ambassador
    @ moo

I saw the Krin beer, but I didn't feel that brave.. raw fish and weird beer is to much on the same day

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Posted by Ron
    Bad luck Javi, not all Japanese restuarants are the same though - next time you feel brave enough try a Japanese restuarant that serves cooked food - you sit around a type of bar and the chef prepares and cooks the food right in front of you - its absolutely delicious.[/i]

Next time?

You know what they say.. FOol me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

[quote]ShoreMark
    They're supposed to give you a funny looking ceramic spoon to eat the soup with<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I guess the waiter wanted to have some fun and see what I would do with no spoon.. coz I sure didn't have any

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and the rice is supposed to be extra starchy so you can pick up big clumps of it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See thats what I told my gf, but the biggest clump had 1 grain of rice.. what a nightmare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That said, it sounds like you went to a Japanese Sushi Bar instead of a full-fledged hibachi style Japanese restaurant - where they usually serve soup (with the spoon), salad, then a "cooked" shrimp appetizer and a main course also "cooked" on the grill in front of you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah how could I forget the salad.. why do the shred it?! Is it so they can have more fun watching newbie chopstick users.. I made a mess out of that.

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

ABW Ambassador
    Most authentic Sushi places actually do not give you a spoon for your soup. However, if you ask they will give you one. As well as a fork for you rice.

Although I LOVE Sushi, it is sort of an acquired taste. And the wasabi (horseradish, not mustard) does help. However, if you take in too much you will have a painful reminder.

As for our favorite type of Japanese food it is what Ronwedd suggested; where you sit at a table (unfortunately with 8 people) and they cook for you. This is called Teppan Style. It is fantasic.

So, for any of you who visit Chicago, the hands down place to go is Ron of Japan in Northbrook or downtown. You will love it and it is worth it! We have a ton of the teppan places and this surpasses any of them!

Robin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by REM:
    Most authentic Sushi places actually do not give you a spoon for your soup. However, if you ask they will give you one. As well as a fork for you rice.
    Robin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with Robin

Javi: Sorry you had a bad experience but for someone who loves and eats Japanese food all teh time, I have to say that the waiter is NOT trying to make fun of oyur lack of chopstick skills.

Soup: Pick up the bowl and drink it while you stir wity chopticks. The veggies and tofu inside is small enough to slurp. THIS IS NORMAL

Rice: Ask for a fork. Why not?

Tea: It is supposed to be green. Its called Green Tea with real tea leaves, hence the floaties.

I guess I take it for granted that Vancouver is probably one of the most diverse dining cities in North America. We can try many different types of foods here.

Better luck next time Javi!

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Burger King next door for real food<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Real food? I wonder if there is a link between this belief and the fact that over 15% of US children are clinically obese, a figure that has tripled over the past 25 years.

Javi, stick with the sushi. You'll live longer.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    Real food? I wonder if there is a link between this belief and the fact that over 15% of US children are clinically obese, a figure that has tripled over the past 25 years.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Now, the question becomes, will they lose weight if their upcoming lawsuits are successful and they end up fat with cash too, because the fast-food restaurants made them eat there? And, will a condition of the settlement be that they are barred from ever entering a fast-food restaurant again?

Hint: It ain't the fast food, it's the fact that they don't have to walk 7 miles to school in 3' of snow, uphill both ways, like we did.

Javi

You should have asked for some of that Turkey and Gravy soda from the other thread to wash it down with...

ABW Ambassador
    Javi, you and I are in totally different worlds.

I can't stand fast food. Bland; tasteless; doesn't even fill me up. I only eat it when convenience says I must. I try to avoid situations like that at all costs.

I only drink "wierd beer": I don't like drinking Dimethyl Sulfide and Acetaldehyde.

-----------------------------
    It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

weisinator: i like your science jargon! I don't feel so alone hahaha

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    604-596-9766

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It ain't the fast food, it's the fact that they don't have to walk 7 miles to school in 3' of snow, uphill both ways, like we did. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're on the money even though you're exaggerating with the example.

EXERCISE. Kids (and adults) today do a lot less of it! It's just as fun to plunk down in front of the video game system with your friends as it is to go outside and have a snowball fight or play tag. And it's less work.

Add that in with the fact that kids don't play for the health benefits, but for FUN, and you end up with kids who are sitting on their butts all day--first in class, and then at home. That = obesity no matter whether the food they eat is "real" or "fast."

Same thing works for adults, but adults may feel guilty about it as they sit on their behinds at the computer all day *knowing* that'll bring the weight on...

Kick everybody out of the house without car keys for a couple hours a day and a lot of pounds would probably disappear without even trying.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Kick everybody out of the house without car keys for a couple hours a day and a lot of pounds would probably disappear without even trying.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Very good idea Leader. I am getting more motivated. Thank you!

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    604-596-9766

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ian @ EYIProducts:
    weisinator: i like your science jargon! I don't feel so alone hahaha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Feel free to Google that scientific jargon. Throw the words "effects on human body" into the search and you'll learn quickly why I don't want it.

Read the "Descriptor Definitions" on the BJCP Scoresheet (PDF). I taste almost all of those flavors in a typical Anheuser-Busch beer.

-----------------------------
    It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

ABW Ambassador
    I am another lover of japanese food. If you cant stomach the idea of raw food, see if they will rustle you up some tempura.

There is nothing better than Sashimi prepared in the following way.

1. Hire a game fishing boat and go hunt down a school of yellowfin or southern bluefin tuna.

2. Hook a decent sized fish (the bigger the better due to larger fish having more sought after oil content) and bring it in as fast as possible reducing the fight time as fish will fight with their vitality once their energy is spent. This involves the production of energy without oxygen (anaerobic glycolysis) which 'burns' the flesh turning it darker (almost black)and reduces the quality dramatically.

3. Still keeping minimal anaerobic glycolosys in mind land the fish and stun it on a carpet. Feel between it's eyes and find the softspot above its brain. Insert a thin copper tube through the brain to the top of the spinal column. The fish is now dead however the death shudder will produce that burn so insert a piece of thick monofilament though the tube and right down the spine to prevent this.

3.5 As the heart is still beating now is the time to remove as much blood as possible from the fish. Place a 1inch cut below each dorsal fin and just above the caudal keel (tail fin) and elevate the head about a foot. The heart will pump most of the blood out of the body.

4. Gut and gill the fish and place it in an ice and brine solution to bring its core temperature down to 0 degrees as fast as possible. Make sure not to use too much salt as this will drop the freezing point below 0 degrees which will cause ice crystals to form in the flesh which will tear it reducung quality. The brine in the ice solution also prevents osmosis and bleaching which would occur with fresh water.

5. Once you have it ashore you have 2 options. Stick it on a plane and send it to Japan for sale on the auction floors where it will fetch anywhere from 100-20 bucks a kilo depending on its quality and your handling skills (not bad for fish over 100 kilos) or take it home, fillet it, skin it and cut across the grain with the sharpest knife you have into mouth sized 3-4 mm slices.

6. Serve with good quality Japanese soy sauce, wasabi (horse radish) and Japanese pickled ginger.

This to me is heaven on earth.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking transactions that have been created by the hard work of others.</font>

"Burger King next door for real food... "

We call BK junk food here.

Hey, no fair. If our kids had to eat with chopsticks, they'd be skinny, too

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DPG:
    Stick it on a plane and send it to Japan for sale on the auction floors where it will fetch anywhere from 100-20 bucks a kilo depending on its quality and your handling skills (not bad for fish over 100 kilos)...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I like the sound of that part

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread