Thinking about a new site that is travel related. I would appreciate any information that anyone has on how their travel related sites have done, how productive are travel affiliate programs in general and what seems to be the best overall travel affiliate to use.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Unless you push Hotel, cruises and car rentals you'll starve on the lead fee type commission for airline tickets. They advertise way to much to ever expect repeat sales between Millions of e-mail specials and billions of popup Ads.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Murf:

Bearing in mind how we do business here ...

Travel is a crowded market, IMHO; it's tough to stand out from the crowd and name recognition is so powerful for many of the top sites (expedia, travelocity, etc.), that you have to work hard to carve out your territory - and attract your users. Our Travel channel does good, steady traffic and trickles in some conversions.

I'm interested to see what the heavy hitters say, but my "Reader's Digest" take is - it's a crowded market. Choose solid partners and go after it hard or you'll be disappointed by the results.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

ABW Ambassador
    You'll be hard pressed to make money from airline ticket sales, that's for sure - unless you hundreds of them a day.

Personally, I like TravelNow. They emphasize hotel bookings and such over airfare. Plus, the customization they provide is very nice.

But, like PhillyBurbs stated, its a really crowded and competitive field. I don't pursue it heavily from my site - its just a sideline to try to make additional money from the content I developed about state wide travel in Montana.

Jim

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Know what you mean Jim. Just booked 2 more European tickets for the same neighbors who went in Septemberr to Kiev Ukrain. Onetravel.com low rate for another 2700.00. I earned 12.00 twice now. Last time they missed the flight and ate the entire fare for 100% profit to the agency and the airlines.

Ain't no love in the travel industry for referral sales.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    That is the toughest market to crack. I've tried many different markets and that is the market that I can't make money from.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread