Well, I am totally excited, and bummed at the same time. I had a $1300.00 sale with Best Buy but only made $13.00 in commission.

Whereas, I sold $280.00 worth of jewelry at Forzieri and made $33.00 plus change in commission.

Why is computer equipment so low on the commission scale?

Diane

<left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    There are 2 forces at work here. The first is that there is a very small profit margin on computer equipment. Although I feel that Best Buy does alright on this type of product.

Secondly, you're dealing with BestBuy.com. They're a huge brand name and they know people will promote them, so they have no incentive to pay more than 1%.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense, although, I wish it wasn't so.

I have to admit, I am still excited by the sale, just too bad it wasn't a larger commission.

Nice to meet you BTW.

Diane

<left class=sig><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=blue size=2>Gift Shopping Network</FONT>
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

Just Lurking
    What get's me is BestBuy and the other retailers give thier employees better discounts then they give us commissions. I know they aren't losing money on those employee discounts. I worked for more than one retailer and their markups were significantly higher then any employee discount.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buddha:
    What get's me is BestBuy and the other retailers give thier employees better discounts then they give us commissions. I know they aren't losing money on those employee discounts. I worked for more than one retailer and their markups were significantly higher then any employee discount.

_"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I wonder what would happen if we all decided to stop promoting BestBuy (and others like them) because of the low returns. Not that I will of course, but, it would certainly give us some bargaining power. As it stands at the moment, sadly, we are completely at their mercy.

I love your quote by the way, and it's nice to meet you.

Diane

Just Lurking
    Nice to meet you too Diane.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    I'd put money on it that the forzieri sale gets reversed. In my experience they reverse all sales where the commission is over $20 and they NEVER respond to emails.

I never got my T-Shirt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    I'd put money on it that the forzieri sale gets reversed. In my experience they reverse all sales where the commission is over $20 and they NEVER respond to emails.

I never got my T-Shirt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw... don't say that. I have faith that it will not be reversed, if it is, I will be sure to let you know.

Diane

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow, I wonder what would happen if we all decided to stop promoting BestBuy (and others like them) because of the low returns. Not that I will of course, but, it would certainly give us some bargaining power. As it stands at the moment, sadly, we are completely at their mercy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not at their mercy.

H*ll will not only be be frozen over, it'll have permafrost before I even consider promoting ANY 1% commission place. Or 2%, or 3%, or 4% commission place for that matter!

It makes no difference that all electronics places seem to be cheapskates. I have no requirement to sell electronics on my site, and until those places learn how to pay a real commission, they can abandon all hope of me running them.

There is no product line that "must be" promoted. Time spent on a cheapskate is time wasted! Better to spend your time promoting a place with a real commission, and leave your competition to whittle away their hours on Best Buy for peanuts.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    While I agree that generally it is best to promote higher paying merchants, I don't write off lower paying ones if they are parasite free and they convert well and they have products that fit into my site. One of my 4% merchants consistently brings in 800-1000 a month in commissions for me. Not great, but not too bad, either.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow, I wonder what would happen if we all decided to stop promoting BestBuy (and others like them) because of the low returns. Not that I will of course, but, it would certainly give us some bargaining power. As it stands at the moment, sadly, we are completely at their mercy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you have certainly given me food for thought. I'll have to have a wee think about this now. Thanks for the insight.

Diane

I'm not at their mercy.

H*ll will not only be be frozen over, it'll have permafrost before I even consider promoting ANY 1% commission place. Or 2%, or 3%, or 4% commission place for that matter!

It makes no difference that all electronics places seem to be cheapskates. I have no requirement to sell electronics on my site, and until those places learn how to pay a real commission, they can abandon all hope of me running them.

There is no product line that "must be" promoted. Time spent on a cheapskate is time wasted! Better to spend your time promoting a place with a real commission, and leave your _competition_ to whittle away their hours on Best Buy for peanuts.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    While I agree that generally it is best to promote higher paying merchants, I don't write off lower paying ones if they are parasite free and they convert well and they have products that fit into my site. One of my 4% merchants consistently brings in 800-1000 a month in commissions for me. Not great, but not too bad, either.

Jim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jim,

I see your point too actually. I really will have to do some homework and figure out what is the best route to take. I really don't want to advertise for merchants who do not appreciate the work that goes into these sites.

Diane

Interested in Philosophy come to my forum: ><A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists"<FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality & Kabbalah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:

Hi Sammy,

Well you were correct. Forzieri did indeed reverse the sale. Why do they do this, and why do they get away with it?

If the sale is not reversed again in my favour, I will be taking their links off of my site. What a bummer.

Diane

ABW Ambassador
    They won't reverse it in your favour - you'll be lucky if they even respond to your email. They do this because they can get away with it..... all u can do is leave their program. Problem is, they have plenty of other suckers lined up to make sales for them until they wise up.

I never got my T-Shirt

They won't reverse it in your favour - you'll be lucky if they even respond to your email. They do this because they can get away with it..... all u can do is leave their program. Problem is, they have plenty of other suckers lined up to make sales for them until they wise up.

Hi Samy,
    Well, I am on my way to take them off my site(s). This is totally unacceptable.

Diane

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Before you remove them from your site, you need to make sure it's because they are not converting for you, sepcifically. Remember, different people will have different experiences with merchants. From my tarp affiliate program, I have some affiliates that never ever ever seem to make money - but I have others that start making sales right away.

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

Well, I just wrote to Forzieri demanding an explanation. I'll let you know if they respond, but I won't hold my breath.

Perhaps they have a hard time understanding English, and if I don't hear from them, I will write to them again in Italian.

Diane

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Before you remove them from your site, you need to make sure it's because they are not converting for you, sepcifically. Remember, different people will have different experiences with merchants. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No, they convert, but they reverse. Whether they convert in the first place or not is not the point here.

I never got my T-Shirt

Well, SammyT, I got a response from Forzieri. Apparently they receive a lot of fraudulent orders from Eastern Europe from people who have stolen credit card numbers.

They were most apologetic for not getting back to me sooner, so, all in all I am happy with their explanation.

<P class=sig align=left><FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=red size=4>Diane
    </FONT><FONT face="Times New Roman,Times,Serif"><FONT color=purple>Interested in Philosophy? Visit my forum: </FONT><FONT color=purple>Philosophy, Spirituality &amp; Kabbalah</FONT></FONT></P>

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread