Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    My 1 Year Unemployment Anniversary
    I just realized i have been unemployed for a year now. A year ago i quit my job and decided to do this full time. What has helped me the most:

1. This forum, thanks Haiko. Read every post you can, past posts, everything. Everything you need to know is here. By looking back at past posts you can learn a lot. All the affiliate killers that came and went. Kinda like Froogle, nothing to worry about there.
    2. Wordtracker, it's worth it, trust me on this.
    3. Learn how search engines work, especially Google. Nothing like free traffic. I remember doing the StartBlaze thing, visiting sites just so i can get some hits on mine, not realizing at that point the people visiting my site were just other webmasters doing the same thing, probably hitting the browser refresh like i did.
    4. Stick with it. The internet is scattered with people who gave up too soon. When i first quit my job i would always have my parents, friends, and gf asking me when i was going to get a job. I always replied "This is my job" Plus i put way to many hours in to turn back. When i finally started making more money than my "real job" they stopped asking. When they saw me on local TV, when they did a story on my site, they really believed. I'm getting my first business license this week. Your are the boss, you are the business, it's a great feeling.

I remember first coming here are reading posts like this one Very inspiring. You can make great money doing this. My motivation was always being my own boss. No more schedules, asking for days off, it's kinda cliche but you have some freedom. What other job can you still make money while you're watching football on Sunday, drinking a beer, eating pizza? Or make money while you're on vacation. So for those just starting out, keep at it, you can do it and make good money at it. For those who have helped me on the way, thanks. I have to go now, it looks like my gf is buying the steak tonite.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

2. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    It's posts like this that keep me going. Makes the long nights coding all worth it.

Trust,

Congrats on the anniversary. Hope your next year is all that you hope for.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I work as a self employed sales agent and migrated to this as an add on to what I do as my own boss and business.
    This isn't yet full time only a fill in, BUT as you quoted " No more schedules, asking for days off, it's kinda cliche but you have some freedom. What other job can you still make money while you're watching football on Sunday, drinking a beer, eating pizza? Or make money while you're on vacation. "

Actually today it was I took a day off and went fishing with my brother. Love to come back after a day off and see what sales went through today. Not lots, but still nice to see.
    Glad to hear your new way of life is working out so well.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Congrats Trust,

Glad to hear that you have been successful in the last year. Watch out for all that beer & pizza .. we'd hate to see you having to push some of that Richard Simmons weight loss crap .. hehehe.

Hope your 2003 year is a banner buster!

DesignerWiz.com Team
    http://DesignerWiz.com

The post you linked to made me open my eyes too. It inspired me to start adding more and more pages, and sure enough ... it's paying off. This is just another numbers game like any other sales job. The more pages you have out there, the more chances you have to earn commissions.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

ABW Ambassador
    TrustNo1
    I too have had my 1 year anniversary. Lost my job December 20th 2001. Now both I and my wife do this full time (part-time really). The post you mentioned was also a major inspiration to me when I wondered whether I wouold ever make enough to live. A year later things look good.

Looking to diversify into other areas of internet money this year - more software, new teaching guides (used to be a teacher), a partnership with my brother in an area he wants to start in his business etc etc.

I cannot ever remember a time in my life when I was so happy and free. Hopefully this year wont throw up too many surprises and obstacles for us hard working affiliates.

Have a great 2003 everyone, but dont forget to spend time with your family.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Trust you give me inspiration. I left my job at Microsoft 3 months ago to do this full time and its been worth every moment. All these long nights will pay off sometime.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

Thank you for this post!

Bill
    I will see it when I believe it.

Congratulations, Trust!

Thanks for reminding me of that post. It's nice to hear success stories, and I wish you the very best this year. I hope it makes 2002 pale in comparison for you!

Keep up the good work!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

Chuck, congratulations!!!

After almost 2 months of being self-employed, I certainly enjoy doing what I'm doing. Setting my goal high keeps me motivated, and yes, the hard work gets paid off.

Happy Anniversary TrustNO1 ,

This is a great Inspiration to us and to the newbie!

Thank you for the inspiration.

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

An Overview of my Journey to success

1)Learned typing in 1999 (Was typing 120 WPM)

2)Dropped out of college(june 1999) Joined a Computer institute to get introduced to the world of computers.

3)Learned Html, DHTML, Flash, Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Javascript, Vbscript, Asp, Oracle, Java and a few more which i dont remember now.

4)June 2000, Registered my first website. Had a single page with free stuffs on it for over 6 months.

5)Jan 2001, The Girl Whom i loved most Dumped me Why? Still figuring out why
    Vowed not to fall in love again

6)June 2001, Got a job as a webdesigning teacher in the same institute. Initial salary was 1,000 Rs (20$ approximately)

7) Around the same Time i joined cj.com and stumbled upon CJU. Joined the forums and couldnt understand a bit as what was happening there.

8) All the time surfing the net searching free stuffs to offer my visitors. (From the cyber parlour spending 4-6 hrs after my job)

9) Joined ABW in August 2001

10) Salary Raised to 3,000 Rs (60$) Good enough for my cigarettes And Cell Phone Bill.

11) Registered with Cj.com again with actual residence address this time. Was Hanging around at ABW occassionally.

12) Mom Started 3 new business and ran into debt.

13) February 2002 The Debt Was skyrocketing.
    14) March 2002 The institute Went out of business and i was rendered jobless.

15) April 2002 Bought a Computer for myself (was surfing from the Cafe Earlier)

16) June 2002 Finally Got Cable Connection ( Wow, I loved the speed and could spend more time )

17) June 2002 Debt Was skyrocketing and i had to do something.

18) Finally Turned to Pranav Who Suggested me to read each and every post on ABW especially Leader's :O , Actually He guided me as how to get traffic, how to optimize sites for good rankings, which merchants to join, Which to avoid. He spent almost a month chatting and explaining me on the messenger about Affiliate Marketing. I started understanding alien words like "Reversals" "Extensions" etc

19) Stumbled upon Msmarysunshine's Awesome post. ( it was "By Golly -I think I've done it!! " )
    It inspired me more than ever.

20) Earned my first sale in July 2002. It was a $50 Sale from bodyjewelry ( which was reversed later) My Happiness knew no bounds and i found it worked.

21) Everyone were posting about christmas and how good December can be. I knew i still had the time and started creating pages. Pages, Pages and more pages.

22) august i received a cheque of 27$, september 58$ and October was the big month where i made 875$. 875$*48= 42,000 Rs. WOw, Was able to partially pay the creditors. Received November's Cheque(60,000 Rs / 1200 $ ) earlier this month and have already deposited it in the bank. December was the month i was waiting for. I never expected things to turn this way around. The month's earning was what i wanted to be debt free. Made Around 9,000$ or 4,32,000 Rs (cj + Befree) After Reversals( 10th or 11th of this month) it should be around 5,000$ which is good enough to clear all the debts.

23) Reserved January's earning for shopping ( YAY - it would be the first time i would be buying something for myself)

24) Future Plans - Mercedes Benz, House, And a sweet girl friend ( yep, i changed my mind ) Ofcourse a fat bank balance too. I know i can do it And i am only 24

Thanks to all at ABW. It wouldn't have been possible to be what i am now.

what i have posted above is an overview. Infact i can write a best selling book on my life.

Suggestion to newbies - Dont miss a single post on ABW, There is something new to learn everytime.

And finally as someone here said "Just Keep plugging in".

Baccilus congrats an all your hard work I wish I had your dedication

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

ABW Ambassador
    I'm glad others were inspired by that post to work hard to achieve their goals. It is an awsome way to earn a living! In case you didnt see my recent post, we got the house before the new year! Keep building everyone

It's more fun to jump on the trampoline than sit underneath it!

Baccillus,

Congratulations...I can't wait to have a story like that...

Congrats TrustNo1!
    Quit my last j*b when my $7 a month website earned more than the bullsh*t 9-5.

[This message was edited by spacewar on February 02, 2003 at 06:11 AM.]

Congrats TrustNo1
    Well I know how hard you work to get this all. But what about our future?
    The most people get money from leads and clicks and very small part is selling products. Internet come with big hopes for ecommerce and online sales and business, but at last blasted with thousand companies shutdown which opened in hope to have big sales and net to be realy online trading.
    Internet was considered a subsitute for shopping, but it is not a realy subsitute. In my opinion only 8% or less than it shopping is done online while 90% is done in shops.
    In the start many advertiser offer good to publishers they pay you higher, cookies duration is good, tracking is right and payment ontime. But after their first year. If their company is succusser than ok else they may drop commission, make smaller cookies duration some use one day cookies duration or session base cookies. And no payment for leads and clicks Only for sales.
    So What you guys say about our future?
    I am not successfull like TrustNo1 I have recently gave up my job and started like him and wish to be like him.
    regards

Kamaluddin Panhwar
    Commission is good comming from only sales and will live long.

ABW Ambassador
    What happens if the company goes belly up? Diversify your web holdings like you diversify your stock portfolio. I have four income sources right now, and I am adding more this month. None of them hit their minimums (just starting) but I make consistent beer supply money. (One hobby pays for the other!)

Another thing to do is make sure you have 3-6 months worth of expenses in a savings account before you quit the 8-5 rush. If something happens, you aren't hurting.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as the future i think it looks good.
    Each day people are ordering online for the first time and if they have a good experience they will do it again. I still think affiliate marketing is in its infancy and will only grow. New merchants are coming online every day, and they will always be looking for new ways to get traffic and sales and thats where we come in. Some affiliates are getting better rankings than the merchant for the keywords they target. You can never have too many sales partners. Merchants that work with affiliates as sales partners and not only for branding in the long run will be very successful. Affiliates will work very hard for good converting merchants that pay on time and are ethical. The future looks great. Every day people are buying their first computer, everyday people are buying something online for the first time, everyday new merchants come online. I always look for good merchants regardless of network. There are some great converting merchants in each network. It just takes a little time to find which ones convert for your site(s)

Shake your booty

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1™:
    As far as the future i think it looks good.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto !!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> DoubleClick's Holiday Shopping Survey Shows Growth in Online Shopping

2003-02-03 07:36 -

NEW YORK, Feb. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- DoubleClick Inc. , the leading provider of marketing tools for advertisers, direct marketers and web publishers, today announced the results of its second annual Multi-Channel Holiday Shopping Study. The 2002 study shows online shopping growing as a sales channel and reveals that price is declining as a driver of online sales.

Multi-channel shoppers, consumers who browse or purchase through more than one channel (retail store, catalog, Internet), continue to spend more than single channel shoppers, with triple channel buyers spending the most on average.

Online shopping continues to grow

While retail remains the dominant holiday shopping channel, it did decline from 2001 levels (from 92% in 2001 to 87% in 2002). The Internet is the only channel that is increasing in usage, with 64% of respondents using the Internet for their holiday shopping or browsing (up from 61% in 2001), and 10% shopping exclusively online (up from 6% in 2001). The number of respondents that shop exclusively in retail stores decreased from 36% in 2001 to 33% in 2002.

Forty-three per cent of multi-channel shoppers say that they spent more online than in 2001 and 28% spent the same. Online browsing and buying should continue to grow in 2003 with 59% of multi-channel shoppers intending to browse more and 45% expecting to buy more online in 2003.

Price decreasing as an online sales driver

The 2002 study shows that price is diminishing as a driver of Internet sales. While price remains the primary reason shoppers browsed in retail stores yet purchased online, it decreased from 2001 levels. The availability of a better selection online increased considerably as a factor in shopper's decision to shop online after browsing in retail stores. Selection was cited more frequently than speed and 24-hour availability as reasons for switching from retail to online shopping.

Of those that browsed on the Internet and purchased in retail stores, better price and better return policies grew as reasons for switching channels, while convenience and the desire to see or try a product before purchasing decreased slightly this year, but remain the most cited reasons.

"The results of this study underscore the degree to which consumers are browsing and buying in a multitude of channels," said Scott Knoll, General Manager and Vice President of Marketer Solutions, DoubleClick. "Marketers must carefully plan and manage their communication with consumers across the multitude of channels, as well as put in place tools to measure the results of that communication across and within each channel."

Multi-channel shoppers continue to spend more

Forty three per cent of respondents browsed and shopped in more than one channel, down slightly from 58% in 2001. Underscoring the value for marketers of tracking multi-channel customers, multi-channel shoppers spent 39% more, on average, than single channel shoppers, and triple-channel shoppers spent 68% more than single channel shoppers.

The survey found that of multi-channel shoppers who purchased on the Internet, half input catalog codes and one-third input email promotional codes when shopping online, highlighting the importance for marketers of tracking cross channel promotions.

Music, movies, books, clothing and accessories most popular gifts

Among multi-channel shoppers, 71% purchased music, movies and books as gifts this holiday season (consistent with 2001), while the same number bought clothing and accessories, although this dropped from 75% in 2001. Only toys and games (from 68% to 69%) and jewelry (from 35% to 37%) increased in popularity over 2001.

The 2002 study, directed by Beyond Interactive and conducted by Greenfield Online, is based upon 1,000 respondents who were interviewed online between January 7 and January 12, 2003. The 2001 study, also directed by Beyond Interactive and fielded by Greenfield Online was based upon 1,358 respondents who were interviewed online between January 4 and January 9, 2002.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com
    AIM: miamitigercub

Thanks, TrustNo1: very encouraging thread!

I started this part time two months ago, toyed with just quitting my job to focus on it full time- but gave into protests from relatives that leaving a good job with a great company in this economy was nuts. A month ago, that "great company" had serious budget cuts, and that "good job" was no longer an issue...

So I decided that rather than looking for another (non-existant) job (so few tech jobs up here now that if I relied on finding an employer, I'd probably end up doing receptionist work- not what I want to move to from what I've been doing!), I was just going to bump this up to full-time right away. Relatives think I'm crazy of course, but now that I can put serous time into it, I feel like I'm getting somewhere...

Cheers,

SirenSong

==================================================
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

ABW Ambassador
    SirenSong
    Good luck to you. It wont be long before family start becoming very supportive. My Dad was hugely sceptical of this when I was forced to find a new job and went full-time like you. However, now he contacts me on ICQ every morning to ask how much we made yesterday.

Keep at it - it works!

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    SirenSong
    Good luck, keep it up. My parents felt the same way, thinking this was just a hobby all along me telling them this is what i do for a living. Once they saw i started making double what i was making at a real job, they started to believe. My goal for the rest of the year is just to each month make more than the last.

Shake your booty

PerfectG & TrustNo1:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast