Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Short of puying a flamethrower does anyone have any idea how to keep a cat out of my garden.
    I love birds and every day our garden is filled with a huge variety of parrots and other natives who come to feed on the native trees but recently a sneaky grey cat has started jumping over the fence and terrorizing the birds.
    When ever I see it I give it a blast with the water hose in full pressure, but that hasn't stopped it coming back.

This morning, the bloody thing caught one of the birds ... I'm so sad, but angry enough to contemplate a flamethrower,making a slingshot, nailing tacks into the fence, lining the fence with a fishing net and other devious methods to stop this killer coming into our garden.

I can't find the owner, so the cat must hike over to my place from who knows where!

Please help before I do something and end up in jail!

I would capture the cat and take it to the shelter. If it belongs to someone they will have to pay to get it out, and maybe losing some money would make them keep a better eye on it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Connie said.

A guy on the next street over had many, many cats and delighted in letting them roam all over the place doing just what you describe. Nothing deterred it!

I captured one (sardines in a large [raccoon-sized] HavaHart trap work wonders--it may take a couple of days but eventually cats can NOT resist) and took it to the shelter. I don't know if he looked for that one (I never saw it again so not sure), but when he released another into the neighborhood and got similar results, he never let any roam free again!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

I can send you some Texas Mocking Birds, they attack cats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Short of puying a flamethrower does anyone have any idea how to keep a cat out of my garden. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mousejockey,

I have 3 humane ideas:

1 - Get a Dog. (but he may mess the garden)

2 - Buy a motion detector alarm that sound like a dog. (your neighbor's may get mad)

3-Rent a bird or a mouse suit and hide behind the fence until the cat get near you.( make sure your neighbor's don't see you)

Sal.

Buy a box of crystalized moth balls. Its a bit like powder, almost like small chunks. Spread it around the garden. You won't be seeing the cat no more. Reapply as necessary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader wrote: "...but when he released another into the neighborhood and got similar results, he never let any roam free again!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> People really shouldn't let their animals roam free. It shows a total lack of respect for their neighbors.

The neighbors behind me get up very early and leave for work. They own their own business, and work long hours. Usually by 5:45-6:00 am, their dog is out in the backyard for the day. Barking. Barking. Barking.

I've called them at work before, and told them to come home and put their dog in the house, because I am tired of listening to it!

Even on weekends and Holidays, when other people in the neighborhood might want to sleep in, the dog is outside early barking. It's not the dog's fault, it's just lonely.

The people are the ones who should be put out in the cold, IMO!

Andy

Just Lurking
    I have friend who got tired of his neighbors cat using his yard as a big sand box. He cought it in one of those raccon cages like Leader mentioned. Took it to the Anamal Shelter where they promptly put it to sleep. Despite the embedded tag chip. The neighbors were not happy campers. But no more cat problems. Moral of this story, let the Shelter do your dirty work.

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Just Lurking
    whoops quoted instead of editted.

I once heard someone on one of those terrible gardening radio programmes the English are so fond of (no - I don't listen to gardening programmes - I was waiting for the following show) suggest that a sprinkling of lion dung makes your average domestic moggie run like crazy.

As if lion dung was something you can buy in your local grocery store...

How about getting a BB gun, it won't kill the cat but I assure you the cat won't come back, if you don't believe me ask my mother in law

JJJay,

LOL! (from a Dog lover)

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    JJJay,

LOL! (from a Dog lover)

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_</font></p><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't shoot any cats, I shot my mother in law

Funny how thoughts of revenge make time fly!

The BB gun is out, too much noise although the satisaction of busting it's butt would be sweet!

Dressing up in a mouse or cat suit, wouldn't work, I'd scare the birds.

A trap with a can of sardines sounds good too,
    and once I've captured it, I could dress up like a giant bird and give the cat some of it's own medicine before taking it to a shelter....mmmm

The mothballs and a sardine trap as back-up sounds like the way to go, it may teach the owners to be more responsible with their pet.

Thanks everyone, I'm on the prowl

JJJay, what do you mean you shot your mother in law with a BB gun

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mousejockey:
    JJJay, what do you mean you shot your mother in law with a BB gun <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Just kidding, I never went that far yet

Cats don't like the smell of some plants, which is how my mother in law solved this problem in her garden. I'm not sure exactly which plant she used, but I've read somewhere that the herb Rue is effective, though I think it also irritates your hands so be careful with it.

There are also plants that attract cats like cat mint and cat nip. It seems they love minty smells so getting rid of any such plants will also help.

You have to be careful with some deterrents that sound harmless but could injure the cat - people have been locked up for that sort of thing, and it can make a mess of your garden. One example is putting certain types of pepper on the ground. If the cat somehow gets the pepper in it's face, it may scratch out it's own eyes! Apparently this has happened!!!

Your water squirt idea should work eventually if you do it often enough. Why not automate and treat yourself to one of these gadgets? Now they look fun!

Riatsala

That is a great gadget might see if I can get one over here.

This cat has got under my skin but not enough to actually pile cayenne pepper everywhere
    and see it come to serious harm...I be happy just like to scare the living daylights out of it and turn it into a lapcat for it's owners

I'm getting an early night so I can be ready for it when it tries to lob over the backfence at 7.00am....do I have a surprise for him!

Hey, give the cat a break... he or she has no choice in the matter, it's all built-in...

IF SEE-BIRD
    PERFORM CHASE UNTIL KILL
    END-IF

I've got 2 cats to keep those annoying birds out of my garden... chirping away early morning when I'm trying to work, grrrr

Hey, I bet you wouldn't mind the cat hanging round if there were mice or rats coming into your garden

GO CAT GO!!!

[This message was edited by midnightcoder on January 09, 2004 at 08:30 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by midnightcoder:
    Hey, give the cat a break... he or she has no choice in the matter, it's all built-in...

IF SEE-BIRD
    PERFORM CHASE UNTIL KILL
    END-IF

I've got 2 cats to keep those annoying birds out of my garden... chirping away early morning when I'm trying to work, grrrr

Hey, I bet you wouldn't mind the cat hanging round if there were mice or rats coming into your garden

GO CAT GO!!!

[This message was edited by midnightcoder on January 09, 2004 at 08:30 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't that be more like

While See-Bird
    PerForm Chase
    If Kill
    Exit Do
    End If
    Do

IamJaloppy

I heard that you can put something citrus ( orange or lemon peel )in you garden and the smell will keep the cats out. They don't like the smell.

Luke

Bop Til You Drop, Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Brake fluid. It's only thing people should feed cats.

I like the idea of the Scare Off Intruders With A Blast Of Water! Humane method of repelling animals

At least your garden can gain from the water and the pest is gone without you being thrown in jail for hurting an animal that cannot help itself.

Yes, I am one of those *******s that will call and make sure a person is prosecuted for injuring any animal just because their garden is more precious. DISCUSTING to say the least!

SandraR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes, I am one of those *******s that will call and make sure a person is prosecuted for injuring any animal just because their garden is more precious. DISCUSTING to say the least! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you have it Buddha, the reason people "let the Shelter do your dirty work."

Yes, I have to agree. I am no animal rights kind of a person. I can dispatch a chicken with the best of them if I am hungry. But, it is not the cat's fault. And, I don't agree with hurting an animal even if I have put love sweat and tears into a garden.

I think the poor animal just might find a nice home in the country, though, with a little help from its friend. (No, I don't mean drop it and run.) There is always someone who will take a friendly animal.

Now, I am not saying this is right, mind you. But, it beats some of the alternate options. Of course, the cat would then kill country birds. But, that is the way of things. We are what we are. And so, a cat is, after all, a cat. A cat is a very fine thing for a cat to be.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

You can always sprinkle of THIS around!

(Scroll down to where they say what's in it )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast