Looks like I made the right decision in quitting Safeway.

Two sides still far apart in grocery strike
    Pasadena Star-News, CA - 14 hours ago
    The longest supermarket strike in US history enters its 16th week shortly before
    midnight tonight. Safeway in 1983 in Hawaii, 71,000 workers have been without work

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stor...911168,00.html

Hundreds march in SoCal to show support for grocery strike

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb.../APN/401231185

A grocery worker ’ s view of benefits , jobs

http://morganhilltimes.com/life/lifeview.asp?c=91743

I"m in good hands with the revenue that is coming from this biz, Anyway what is other opinions on this strike. I think this is important to a lot of people and it effects quite a bit of friends of mine. I think this is another action where I believe the companies are just greedy and want to save money and get rid of the union I think that is there main goal. what do you all think on this? FYI Vons is owned by Safeway!

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

If they don't like working there, they should quit, not strike.

I personally think unions do more harm than good.
    Around here where the grocery stores aren't unionized the pay and benefits are good.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't think unions are harmful, but I haven't seen that they *help* much either. I've worked in union and nonunion stores, and the same things suck in both kinds of places: Immature, idiot management, lousy hours, late breaks...

The pay was a bit better in the nonunion store, but it sucked more, which negated the financial benefits.

On the other hand, the union places had some things spelled out, for instance they couldn't demand more than an hour of surprise overtime. And they couldn't make someone do duties beneath their job description. That came in handy!

It's not that some managers didn't *try* that kind of baloney (amount of trying varied by company), but they couldn't penalize people for refusing to go along with it. Of course they didn't SAY they couldn't penalize for it, but those who read the contract know the real score. Woe unto those who don't read it--for them it's no better than a nonunion company!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Heh.

I and most of my friends make a point of *only* shopping at the Southern California grocery stores that have pickets marching in front of them.

Unions are just another form of collectivism.

-- Mike

I agree the union never helped me when I went though $3000 in medical expenses and ended up in ER after passing out and going into seizure shock. I'm fine now :0). Most Managers are a****** except I had one manager who was nice to the employees and treated them with respect. Man don't know if you know this but Safeway and vons has mystery shoppers that come and grade employees for greeting, employees, etc. even though I got a customer service award fore being nice and getting top ranks in the grading, I don't think that really matters to Safeway, as I was treated with so much disrespect from the managers. But missdonna if you were getting payed good $ and had to live in a place that cost 1200 a month for rent, and there cutting employee hours and making them pay more for there health insurance and new employees didn't get any health insurance I think you would be upset if you were in that state. I agree the union is worthless but without it Safeway could screw employees, anyway I'm happy that I decided to do this fulltime. Anyway all I can say is most jobs these days aren't reliable, they fire you for stupid reasons or just lay you off. working at a real job doesn't give you a future, you have no way to expand and live better, thats why I'm doing this because I want that and I also want to be making a difference to other affiliates and just so customers can get better deals and give them a alternative. Anyway it would be nice if Safeway was a much more organized and enjoyable place to work. When I first started there it was pretty cool, other employees were nice but management kind of changed things when a new manager came in, the place was like jail. would you be happy if you were working at Safeway and already had to pay the union $40 a month and ended up having to pay even more with health insurance, and you only worked 24 hours and didn't even make enough to pay rent or feed your kids? Anyway all I can say I have mixed feelings about this issue, as a past employee I feel like the company is taking advantage of there employees, I knew this strike was going to come when I left, and northern California will be going on strike in November when there contract ends. It's going to even be a bigger issue when this happens. However I also think they should be focusing on which areas pay the highest rent and such. Anyway that's my 2 cents....

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread