More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    My internet connection locks up after 5-10 minutes, regardless of what I am doing. I am still allowed to send out small amounts but nothing is allowed back to me in the connection. I must totally restart the computer to go online again, only to have the connection lock up again and again. I have Norton Anti-virus that is updated but a scan shows nothing wrong. I have verified that this is not my ISP provider by using my other clunker computer online with no problem. Any ideas before I completely restore the whole system? Thanks in advance.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Try scanning for parasiteware. AdAware is one well-known p-ware remover.

I think Norton doesn't detect parasites. If I'm right, your computer could be infested and Norton wouldn't say a thing...

If that doesn't work, I'd try reinstalling my internet connection software before doing a complete system restore.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Also worth trying a personal firewall such as Zonealarm Pro which will let you monitor and control what programs on your Pc can talk to the Internet as well as protecting you from incoming probes from the internet.

Les

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Is Internet Explorer running when you lock up?

Try not starting IE and use Netscape or similar and see what happens. It might be BHO's competing with each other to steal affiliate commissions.

George Orwell got the date wrong

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Do you also have Norton Internet Security? This will crash your Internet access every so often. It's a junk program and causes lots of access problems. Ms B emailed me and told me it's doing the same thing to her when she uses it for testing.

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

ABW Ambassador
    You can check your machine for BHO's by downloading BHODemon at
    http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
    Download and run and it will present you with a list of BHO's on your computer and allows you to disable them if you want.

PS: It's free.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you also have Norton Internet Security? This will crash your Internet access every so often. It's a junk program and causes lots of access problems. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Right on. It happens to my computer, too. I also use it for testing, but I will ask a refund soon. It is crap!

Update: I restarted with a new connection (again!) last night, but did not stay connected long enough to freeze up. I logged out and shut down the connection normally and have not had a problem since. I believe that some program or operation was running and could not be terminated until I closed the browser and connection normally. After a freeze-up I could not end the operation. At least that is what I think happened since all has worked normally since. Thanks for your input.

Actually, this seemed to get fixed this morning, not last night. It's been a long day!

CheeseHead,

Glad to hear things are working again. I would still do as Leader suggested and download Ad-Aware. It's free to use and does a great job at finding hidden junk on your computer. It's fast and easy to use. I think you will be surprised at some of the stuff it just may find. JMO

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

Hi CheeseHead,

IMO,it seems to be the hardware problem but not software problem.Try to check out your internet connector if they are all tighten.Maybe you will find the reason there.

I am hardworking...

ABW Ambassador
    I had that happen a while ago and it drove me nuts. I have Outlook Express and my connection option got reset to hang up after sending and receiving.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread