Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    People over 35 should be dead.

Here's why ............

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took
    hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones,
    personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms
    live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

To those of us who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good !!!!!

People under 30 are WIMPS!

SandraR
    <font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    THAT IS GREAT

circa 1943

Animal Lover
    Those were the good old days...makes me all nostalgic...thanks for the memories Sandra.

Oscar

"those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's"

And now, you just took me back to the good old days of the past.

Where is my 50's, music, my 70's, 3 pc polyester Suit and my Saturday Night Fever LP. record?

I need a Time Machine, you can keep all my commissions and cookies for just one trip back.

Sal.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Suddenly it seems that I've accomplished something major just by staying alive!

But I wouldn't want a time machine. Amongst other bads, avoiding being stuck in sch**l or w*rk--yet not ending up super-ignorant or broke because of that avoidance--is one thing society as a whole did NOT have figured out back then!

I'll remember the good, but I also remember enough bad to not want to get on a time machine and live back then again!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Right on Sandra! I could not have said it better. I know about 50 people - sorry kids - that need to read your post. I may have to laminate it. BTW, you forgot to mention "time outs" vs. a good "beating"!

Well done!

Howie Goldberg
    Affiliate Manager
    www.1lingeriestore.com
    (800)206-7230
    amh@webc1.com
    www.1lingeriestore.com/affiliates.htm

"I'll remember the good, but I also remember enough bad to not want to get on a time machine and live back then again!"

That's the reason I will go back, as long as I can go back with my current memory, that way I relive the good and change the bad.

But, too bad there is no real time machine. We are only able to travel back on our own memory and select were we like to be and if we are lucky maybe dream about it when we close our eyes.

Who knows what dreams may come but, sometimes they beat reality.

Sal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I need a Time Machine, you can keep all my commissions and cookies for just one trip back. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely. But you need to remember to take your listings of stocks and shares, lottery numbers and sports results. Hmmm... sounds like Back to the Future Part II.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Wow! What flashbacks!

It's funny we might be thousands of miles apart yet they're the same memories I have.

I'll take a time machine ride, back to the days when I believed I could fly like Superman and it was only a matter of time before I got the hang of it.

Or those magical weekends when you'd be off at sunrise to go horseriding, with no helmet or saddle, and wouldn't be home to dusk.

When a muddy old creek would be a magical place to explore. Years later you'd find out it was a sewer.

Looking for Dinosaur bones that just happened to be buried under your Dad's prized Lemon tree.

Now, I look at my goddaughters 10 and 12 and if it doesn't have batteries, a motor or plugs into the TV or computer they're bored!

Thank you SandraR, wonderful memories

I picked a good time to live. I had all that and now I have all this.

I have come from competing with other kids for chips of ice on a hot summer day when the ice man brought ice for the ice box to talking to friends in all parts of the world right from my own living room and being able to see them on PSanf's web cam, if we wish.

I have seen marvels beyond comprehension or belief.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When a muddy old creek would be a magical place to explore. Years later you'd find out it was a sewer. ~Mousejockey <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ew, nasty!! That's one memory I'm glad I don't share...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That's the reason I will go back, as long as I can go back with my current memory, that way I relive the good and change the bad.~Mr. Sal <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, there's a few things I would edit. But unless I could make legal "home schooling" happen a LOT sooner than it did, I think it wouldn't make a huge difference to me. The other stuff that sucked were j*bs, and I bolted out of THAT situation almost as fast as possible anyway! (I could have shaved a couple of years off if I learned about aff. marketing sooner, but that's it...)

Although like Dynamoo said, maybe it would be enough to just go back with the Lotto numbers for the day in question in hand--and a dollar for a ticket!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow! What flashbacks!

It's funny we might be thousands of miles apart yet they're the same memories I have.~Mousejockey<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about, riding a bike wayyy to the store down the main road, having it get dark while in the store, and then having to ride back in the dark. Add an occasional thunderstorm to that, especially one that starts about 2 blocks away from the store--and 2 miles from home.

Planting seeds for pretty dandelions all over the lawn!

Playing in the woods with no fear of perverts.

Walking wasn't a form of w*rk. But maybe that's just a function of age. Adults didn't want to go walking then either...

Skipping school to play arcade machines didn't bring any truant officers. The district didn't HAVE any truant officers!

No police liasons in the schools! When I hear of those I wonder what on Earth the world is coming to.

No metal detectors in any schools!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected. ~SandraR
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! Those who took risks accepted the fact that it's called "taking a RISK" for a reason!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Once put into perspective, it IS a wonder any of us have survived to talk about it!

Today's kids are basically spoiled little brats. They do what they want, when they want, regardless of who they hurt. And the parents don't seem to mind.

I'm horrified at the things I see kids do in public today - right in front of their parents - and the parents don't seem to mind. Things like jumping up and down on the booth in restaurants - someone else has to sit on that dirty seat later.

My pet peeve is kids that scream and run around loose in restaurants, disturbing everyone around. My parents would have yanked me out of there so fast, and I would have missed eating because of my bad behavior.

Today is truly a different world, and I'm not sure we're the better because of it. Thanks for the nice trip down memory lane, Sandra!

Andy

Just Lurking
    What happen to the school system in the USA? I'm not surprised the jobs are going oversea when so many college students are taking remedial reading, english and math!

Remember clean streets? I don't think I remember wearing shoes half the time as a kid!

Remember when you had to be the best at something to get an award? They now give out awards for participating. You can just show up and hey here's an award. Way to go!

Kids these days are bound to be screwed up little brats! It's built in to the system now! They don't have a chance!

------------------------------
    "If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My pet peeve is kids that scream and run around loose in restaurants, disturbing everyone around. My parents would have yanked me out of there so fast, and I would have missed eating because of my bad behavior.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I always walk up to the kid and tell them shhh the baby is sleeping, they look at you strange as if to say what baby! it keeps them quiet for about 20 minutes and kids parents usually get a laugh out of it since there is no baby. works like a charm

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I Remember all those things Sandra. I remember my Dad telling me what Abe Lincoln said: "You are today what you'll be 5 years from now, except for 2 things...The people your surround yourself with and the books you read." A point brought out last night on MSNBC by a 14 year old Muslim girl who just graduated suma cum laudi from a USA college, now going on the her PHD. Starting reading when she was 1 year old and both parents demanded her participation in music, sports, debate clubs, community projects which required see pick up from others what the books didn't teach her.

Now we have liberal adjendas promoting all the bad habits and limit testing done by kids as something that should be force on the entire population. Freedom from any restraint demanding the appalled to accept the antics of the deranged as a legalize form of expression.

The leftest philospophy allows the UN to be run as the World's Welfare Organization robbing from the rich to give to the poor. Modern day Robinhoods, minus the part were they put their lives on the line defending to poor from the tyrants. They throw that job on GWB and the US taxpayer skillfully letting them get the bad press and pick up the bill for being the Good Cop/Bad Cop.

The liberal left can easily justify & ignor bad behavior by their kids, diluting education to the level of the lowest IQ, Gay marriages, Liberal US Judges writing laws with no regard to public opinion or oversight. Gone are the days of self control and restraints on defining bad behavior bringing us suicide bombing freedom fighters, Obesity, and the era where business ethics is defined by the crooks.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

PSanf tried that running around in a restaurant business once. He was warned before we went in to behave and what was expected. Well, I marched him out to the car and warmed his backside. (spanking, not beating) I returned to the restaurant with him, apologized to the staff and patrons and explained that my son had a recent change of attitude and that if anyone wished to call Children's Division, they could find us there enjoying our lunch. The whole restaurant cheered! Needless to say, he was then after a pleasure to take out to lunch.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Kids these days are bound to be screwed up little brats! It's built in to the system now! They don't have a chance!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sadly, the school sytem is very bad here in Canada, too. University seems like a joke these days. Graduating basically knowing nothing and then expecting them to perform, oh my - that means a lot of incompetence ...
    It's terrible and this will backfire even more.
    A lot of immigrants are coming with good education and it keeps things balanced for now.

It is not acceptable to have such a lenient system for our kids.

I'm shocked at what I see from some college graduates. Spelling errors, poor punctuation, they can't add or subtract without a calculator, etc.

I'm not sure what a college education does for someone these days, but whatever it is it sure doesn't seem to prepare them to function in a business environment. They may understand the specifics, but they flunk the basics. I don't see how you can get to the specifics without having a working knowledge of the basics.

It's a shame.

@ Buddha: People today are basically pigs. They have poor manners, especially when in a motor vehicle, and I'm offended by the way some people dress in public. Bums, plain and simple. It's all because they aren't being taught these things at home. Somewhere, a generation has dropped the ball!

Andy

I'm not so sure it's a question of kids these days being worse than they used to be... I think it's more complex and subtle.

There used to be thugs and tearaways when I was young. There still are. I chose not to associate with them, but it's easier to notice them as an adult. It goes waaay back. Teddy Boys. Mods. Rockers. Punks. Each generation has it's rebels (often law-breaking). Don't kid yourself that it was all rosy.

To be honest, I think kids are just the same and that it's PARENTS who are different.

ADDED: I try not to rise to Mike's baiting, but I'm a liberal and proud of it. Being a liberal means giving people the independence to make their own mistakes and create their own futures. Maybe you *are* a liberal after all, Mike

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    To be honest, I think kids are just the same and that it's PARENTS who are different.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, I think the kids are different BECAUSE the parents are different.

Discipline is necessary for kids. Bravo to Ssanf for warming PSanf's backside when necessary! A kid without discipline is like a garden that isn't weeded. It doesn't take care of itself.

Education is definitely in decline. We stopped teaching the basics and started teaching political correctness. Instead of encouraging excellence, schools encourage mediocrity. We need to get back to math, science, reading, writing, and history.

Another major decline is the entitlement mentality. People don't want to do things for themselves, but would rather have the government, their employers, or their parents be responsible. Whatever happened to good old honest work?

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Does anyone else remember having a dessert spoon of Waterbury's Compound and Cod Liver Oil
    shoved down your throat everyday before school?
    It tasted like blah! but we never got sick.

[My pet peeve is kids that scream and run around loose in restaurants]

You didn't dare muck up, one look from your Dad and you'd know you'd be skating on thin ice.

Besides, going to a restuarant or having a takeaway waa a special treat that only happened once a week.
    ...now I drive by McD's and notice kids having breakfast there before school. When school gets out they're back grabbing a burger
    ...what happened to a banana, a peanut butter or vegemite sandwich with the warning...Don't eat too much or you'll spoil your dinner!

Leader; the old creek, that was magic, filled all sorts of strange bugs you could trade at school, I could get 10 cents for a tadpole

"People under 30 are WIMPS!"

Sandra I beg you. I have only two more days and I'll be 30 please let me pass. The childhood you described was exactly how I remember it.

I have scars on the bottoms of my feet from stepping on rusty nails. I have scars on my knees from doing things with bicycles just like Evel Knievel did with his motor bike. Saw a kid take a baseball bat in the teeth at full swing (not pretty) and no-one got sued.

yep, that's how I remember it too. Now can I still get in your exclusive little club?

Does anyone remember loading a 20 lb. box of IBM punch cards into a computer that was the size of a baskeball court?

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

We stapled them together, spray painted them and made Christmas wreaths!

Animal Lover
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does anyone else remember having a dessert spoon of Waterbury's Compound and Cod Liver Oil
    shoved down your throat everyday before school?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O Mousejockey that was one thing I really loathed...my stomach churns just thinking of that wonderful Scotts Emulsion...

Oscar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast