Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geez what is going on????
    Feb 1st- Feb 12

cj earnings dropped 50%

Linkshare earnings dropped around %50

Shareasale income dropped over 50%

indys are slow.... except amazing socks will help me pay for food this month.

only programs that seems to keep me surviving is google adsense and catalogs.com this month.

Hmm a 50% increase in traffic since the beginning of this month

over 26,500 targeted visitors so far this month.

SEO traffic is up, visitor traffic is up,

Any answers to this?? or is anyone else having a bad month???

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

Merchants! As long as you are partnered with <a href="http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=548608979&f=591608789"target="_blank">parasiteware<a> you will not be listed on my site.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Everyone is paying off the Xmas visas, but not to worry, those tax returns will start coming back shortly, and the money will flow! Well, okay, I hope it will, leastways...

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jason don't you read the long flame threads here. As long as the cookie cannon players overwrite your cookies their is no such thing as return day cookies.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Jason we can cry on each other's shoulders as I'm also having a rotten month on CJ, LS and BF. Loads of window shoppers (I hate them!!) but very few sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Sales are down compared to what?

The month isn't even half over yet. Keep digging.

I compared Jan '03 to Jan '04 on Feb. 1st.

[Pulp Fiction]
    Vincent, we happy?

Yeah, we happy!
    [/Pulp Fiction]

I'd be even happier if my living expenses were the same now as they were 7 years ago.

-----------------------------
    It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heh, just made an $800 sale, okie-dokie, back in business!

- - - - - - - - -
    I will FOCUS on my goal, and I shall NOT be denied.

Having a great month here. It's shaping up to be my second best month ever.

Are your numbers down 50% from this point in January, or what? With 50% more traffic?

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I got wiped out in the Google SERPs in the January update.. but guess what, I'm still here and still making money. Not as much as I was, but enough.

Jason, you've got the right attitude here. There's ups and downs in this game and sometimes you need the bankers like AdSense to pay the food bills. I've just had a little rush of Valentines sales over the past few days, and soon it'll be time to gear up for Easter and Mother's Day.

Keep making those pages!

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Things are normal on the merchant front. Just checked and suspenders and jeans did 987.00 in sales on 184 unique visitors. Think niche' ...get rich!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I thought from your recent posts things were going great? Anyways just hang in there, you're in a business where one day can suck and the next the biggest of the month. And whatever you do, please don't turn into an Ecomcity Jr. The problem he mentioned above is nothing new, whether you fail or succeed primarly rests with you.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Jason, Chin up.

First what are you comparing? Are you comparing Feb 04 to Feb 03, or Feb 04 to Jan 04.

My commissions Feb to Feb are way up because Feb 03 was only my second month in AM.

My Feb 04 to Jan 04 commissions are within $3, and those are up slightly from Nov 03. I don't count Dec because that's an extraordinary month.

While commissions are stable or increasing each month, they are coming from very different merchants. It seems each month I have to create a new strategy. I'm hoping that after a few years, I'll know enough not to do that.

But for now I enjoy the changes every month brings and the challenges of learning a new industry. For instance I just pulled my jewelry site off line because of disappointing commissions, despite the fact that I won three prizes in Mondera's SEO competition last fall. I have a generalized gift site and will probably put some jewelry on that.

I hope things improve for you.

Best wishes, Lily

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Its called after christmas Jason

If I look at last year Feb and take out the one 50 commission and factor in the ameriquest commissions (who rarely convert these days) my amounts are up.

Unless you have solid stats for a year to year basis or huge numbers my stats may only be what I see and not indicative of everyone.
    Overall larger sites may see different trends because of their volume to use for references.
    Overall my sales in general are up.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>only programs that seems to keep me surviving is google adsense and catalogs.com this month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't have any stats for comparison. but google brings in some. not enough to live on though

As for catalogs. com I won't even start on, they REJECTED me when I applied. Thier loss

Too bad so many other factors come in to divert what I should be making

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Tip of the month:

Put all your stats into Excel and then plot

a) Rolling 12 month totals

b) % increase this month versus the same month last year

If you do that you will be able to see the bigger picture minus seasonality.

My 12 month rolling totals from Jan 2003 to Jan 2004 monthly increases are

17%
    12%
    13%
    16%
    12%
    17%
    17%
    21%
    12%
    9%
    30%
    24%
    12%

and Feb is up 3% already and we are only halfway through the month.

The 30% oddity is caused by one huge (and I mean huge) item of software commission in November 2003), so that is a bit exceptional.

So I now regard my target as an averagee growth of 15% per month

I got the idea of plotting rolling 12 months totals from an article on softwareceo.com a while back by the CEO of a software company who had a problem where his monthly figures were all over the shop but as soon as he plotted them as 12 month rolling totals the underlying trend emerged clearly.

Here in the UK, December (Retail and food/drink) is a large spend month as is March for B2B as the UK tax year ends in March, so that can cause big discrepancies if you just compare one month with the previous one.

So comparing one month with the previous month is not a reliable indicator, and will not help you understand the bigger picture.

Les

thanks everyone, Les- my % for some networks are pretty high, above 11% some of them is low which I'm trying to increase them.

TrustNo1- It was doing okay, but now I'm worried cj and shareasale is quite slow in converting, based on my weblogs and % of seo I should be doing better, I know it is after christmas but I still don't understand why sales are not happening this month. essential apparel at cj is the only merchant that is converting. and net magazines at linkshare was doing okay in the beginning of the month, but I keep on hoping I will get some more sales before the month closes. and I worried because cj and shareasale pay on the 21 or so, and If I don't get over $100 in commissions with either shareasale or cj I'm going to be short for rent. Will have to go to my old bank, and pull out my $ for rent.. close that account. oh well back to making pages later.

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

Merchants! As long as you are partnered with <a href="http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=548608979&f=591608789"target="_blank">parasiteware<a> you will not be listed on my site.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    wow Jason are you saying you haven't done $100 at CJ yet this month. I thought I was doing badly with only $300 in commish.

SaS never converts for me for some reason.

You are right that sales are down tho and visitors are up. I'm seeing the same thing

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

nope not yet, jackson992, not even $100

ABW Ambassador
    Things are slow for me all over. Not surprised, really. I was expecting this slow down to happen in January - but was somewhat proven wrong. Christmas is long over and it is too early for my warmer weather oriented site to get going for solid sales.

CJ has been slow for me for the last two months. Performics, my main network, did great in January (after xmas rush) but is now slow too.

Get the feeling that February is likely to be my sites worst month sales wise due to the nature and content of it.

Guess I need to get going on a site that can sell something for Valentines Day!

Jim

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeah, it's slow.

But I saw an article about business cycles which got me thinking. I *have* seen this before. About 4 years ago to be precise!

People were reporting terrible sales, blaming everything but the kitchen sink for the poor sales (with some theories being plausible and others being patently ridiculous), cursing CJ (or whatever network had previously been working well for them), and dropping off like flies.

At that time, the site-deaths reached a peak in the summer (which is normally slow anyway and became positively glacial during the downturn), and by the fall I'd guess that over half the competition had given up mainstream affiliate marketing.

That meant that by the fall half the competing sites had disappeared from Google, merchants became desperate for affiliates so commission prices went up, and overall things started becoming quite nice for many of the surviving affiliates!

That Christmas winnowed out the rest of those who had been holding on by a thread, and those hoping for one last bonanza before opening the paper's H*lp W*nted section. This left the field fairly open for those who remained (except in perenially competitive areas like books and music)!

2001 was fairly stable as the surviving sites consolidated their positions and the nation got used to a new prez...

And 2002 was Stellar. Wonderful! It was easy to snag almost any listing desired. Companies paid nice high commissions, because they were trying to erase the effects of the dropoff. Customers seemed to be coming out of the walls! Everything sold! Algo changes? Big F'n deal, it was either show my listings or show Tripod ramblings. Nice! Nice nice nice.

It also happened to be so stellar that more competition was drawn back into the Arena!

2003's earnings weren't bad, but the year also saw it getting harder to get good rankings. Commission Deflation started to set in with merchants being gallish enough to mention 5% in the same phrase as "generous!" Google algo changes became more like land mines, because no matter what change they made, there was always some serious competition whose pages would match. The use of tricks, to use the loaded word, increased. Also the use of calling d*mned near everything a trick whether it actually is or not increased!

And now we're back to the phase we were in 4 years ago. It seems that there's almost as many competitors as there are shoppers! It's definitely SHAKEOUT TIME. Already a few have stated that they're getting out, or that they aren't going to add anything new. Whatever the stated reasons, this is shakeout behavior. Barring personal crisis, people don't get out during upturns...

It will be interesting to see who's still in business by the time 2005 rolls around.

Personally I'm not only NOT getting out, I've set an aggressive goal for making new sites and building up old ones--because after the slow period, comes the upturn...and I want to have a MASSIVE plate out when that smorgasbord comes by again!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want to have a MASSIVE plate out when that smorgasbord comes by again! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My plan exactly!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

A lot of interesting points made in this thread. One thing that hasn't really been addressed is manually crafted individual pages versus programmed mass produced pages. I'm having a great year so far, constantly doubling my goals with the latter method. I'm starting to feel the only real way to succeed in this business is by producing a fully automated system that can accomodate thousands of products and visitors. I can't even conceive of doing it any other way.

This shakeout that Leader is talking about has me curious about who will be shaken from the tree. I know my path is slightly dangerous due to search engine algorithms detecting similarities between pages in the SERP's. I worry that my mass-produced pages will be discovered and get dropped. This just makes me vary my product pages as much as possible to avoid being dropped from the SERP's. My question is what is your opinion on this practice?

On the other hand you can craft individual pages about an assortment of products. Building each page by hand, using no PHP or mySQL. How can you compete with those of us who are mass producing thousands of product pages? I spend 30 minutes implementing a 5000 product datafeed. Webmerge users have to spend at least 2 hours generating and uploading their files. Now I realize I only have about 5 to 10 hours each week to spend doing affiliate work so that does work to my disadvantage. Maybe if I had 40 hours a week without PHP, I could do just as well.

So how do you feel about this? Are you afraid of automation, do you feel it's a threat? Content makers probably have the same confidence I do. Not many of us can write a lot of good content that sells. I think what it comes down to is skill.

Opinions? Comments?

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.inktomi.com/products/web_...uidelines.html

read What Inktomi Considers Unwanted

I work in lounge pants

"Unfortunately, not all Web pages contain information that is valuable to a user. Some pages are created deliberately to trick the search engine into offering inappropriate, redundant or poor-quality search results; this is often called "spam." Inktomi does not want these pages in the index.

What Inktomi Considers Unwanted
    Some, but not all, examples of the more common types of pages that Inktomi does not want include:

Pages that harm accuracy, diversity or relevance of search results
    Pages dedicated to directing the user to another page
    Pages that have substantially the same content as other pages
    Sites with numerous, unnecessary virtual hostnames
    Pages in great quantity, automatically generated or of little value
    Pages using methods to artificially inflate search engine ranking
    The use of text that is hidden from the user
    Pages that give the search engine different content than what the end-user sees
    Excessively cross-linking sites to inflate a site's apparent popularity
    Pages built primarily for the search engines
    Misuse of competitor names
    Multiple sites offering the same content
    Pages that use excessive pop-ups, interfering with user navigation
    Pages that seem deceptive, fraudulent or provide a poor user experience

Inktomi Guidelines
    Inktomi's policies are designed to ensure that poor-quality pages do not degrade the user experience in any way. As with Inktomi's other guidelines, Inktomi reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to take any and all action it deems appropriate to insure the quality of its index."

All 4 major SE's concur and will seek out the SE spammers offerings for a pattern. Once detected and eliminated from the SERPs, folks like Snib/Scott will become toast as their competing traffic tricksters are tipping off the SE's compliance folks. I agree with leader this industry's yard needs a through weeding.

Mike & Charlie ...

Action Jackson - King of the World
    That's kind of funny considering we're all SE spammers. So if one person suffers we all suffer. There isn't anyone here who doesn't optimize their site and that is trying to spam the search engines

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

I feel a little offended at your remarks towards me Mike. You're inferring I cannot make a unique and user friendly site. You're saying that I'm producing unwanted sites that people cannot find any practical use in. I completely disagree and considering you have not seen my sites I won't take to heart what you've said.

I try to follow the guidelines as much as possible while also offering a useful site that people can enjoy. I have features that 95% of affiliate sites don't offer and since I've been an employed full time web programmer for the past 5 years I know what's good and what's not.

Please don't regard me as a fly in your ointment and please give me more credit.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Well Mike is making a feed himself for his affiliates, maybe his affiliates sites will look better and the merchant site be deleted from the index. I'm just kidding

I work in lounge pants

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast