Is there legal issues for this? For example, if my site is nike-running shoes.com, would nike, or any company, not allow this. Or is this ok since you are really doing nothing more than helping to increase their overall sales. Would appreciate any feed back.

ABW Ambassador
    Some companies won't mind, others will. Depends on the company and how aggressive they are in protecting their trademark.

I know many merchants don't like when affiliates have their name in the domain name. Since Nike isn't a direct merchant, they may not have a problem with it like others do.

Only real way to find it is to either contact Nike in advance about it or to just put up the site and see what happens!

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    If using trademarked names etc all you are doing is asking for issues to happen. Is it really worth it
    Ask the company.
    Asking about trademark issues in a forum is like asking tax questions here also.
    We aren't lawyers or accountants
    You need to seek full and proper information if you have valid concerns over questions such as this.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Want to see how serious trademark cybersquatting by affiliates gets ...try any use of the Sony mark in your domain name.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Thats how to clean up affiliate tricks for clicks acts. Law suit with no wiggle room with damages and loss of domain name. Notice how Sony grabs the domain for free and redirects to one of their own sites. Now if only they had a AM firm who had a clue on value-add resellers they'd be an OK merchant for the Sony Style program. Just your common pimps for the Ad whore prtectionist parent.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

all i see are authorized domain names owned by Sony. what are you talking about Webmaster Mike?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hawaii5 you just answered your own question. Sony will sue the crap out of anyone online or off not authorized to use their trademark IN WRITING. No listing will show up on Google SE that page who isn't getting legal papers ASAP.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'll agree with what Mike's saying this time--I've read a few stories in the business papers of Sony relentlessly guarding their brand from use in other domain names.

Other places that would fall into the category of "really big and very well known" have also been known to eat domains with their TM'd name or TM'd product names in them. Lesser-known places would probably do it, too, but there are likely less instances of infringement to begin with. After all, the only person with sense interested in registering joes-unknown-brand-products.com is Joe himself!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Definitely something to avoid unless you have written permission.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree using a companies domain in a domain is something to avoid if you can.

What's more you should carefully avoid any variations or mis-spellings of a trademarked name because that too will get you in serious trouble.

With the recent Google changes in the past couple of months, it's much less important to have keywords in your domain name, especially for "competitive" search terms like nike trainers. You may as well call your site kjasdfhkjasdhbnasdfmnbweuhasfj.com
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Kind of a follow up... I've noticed that some datafeeds include the merchant (or worse manufacturer) name in the product name. If you use this in anyway for page naming, seems like this could be an issue. What's everyone doing about that?
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

I think someone like Nike probably would want to do something about their name being used in a domain name. Just check out this link.

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/deci...2001-0102.html

As can be seen at the above link, the respondent didn't respond and the names went to Nike through default, but the point is that Nike actually started with this proceeding because they didn't want someone else using their name. I guess the names would have still gone to Nike, even if the respondent had attempted to offer some defense.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Note that this is different than using them in the page now. I have many many pages that are http://mydomain.com/nike.shtml for example

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread