Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Here's a pic of the "snake guy" with the python he just removed from our backyard.

I love living in the suburbs!

http and a telephoto
    Python? In the back yard??? They come from pet stores in these here parts.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, diamond python, sitting in the tree getting some sun before it slithered into our shed.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Cool, and I though it was just my garden that attracted snakes

So...how did you cook it?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Jeeeze-o-pete, I do believe I would have had a heart attack. I hate snakes! Yuck! Dave Barry, the columnist, had a great essay one time about discovering a snake sitting beside his PC while he was writing. He managed to throw the thing outside - and it went straight into his swimming pool. Funny essay, if you ever come across it.

Is this a first for you, or do you have snakes fairly regularly in your back yard?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    It's been a while! Put it this way - here's a picture of the previous snake found in our backyard.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyone for Snake?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmm...no thanks!

[Edit--saw next pic]

OMG...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar

( EC clutches at heart, staggers about, collapses )
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, the snake in the second pic was found after my aunt told her daddy there was a "worm in the garden".

Mmmm...

Nice with a bit of garlic...

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I like snakes. I took care of four dozen of them at a nature center I worked in some years ago. As long as the snake isn't venomous, or big enough to predate your pets, it's a good thing to have them around. They keep the rodent population in check.

OMG! I HATE SNAKES!!

My Grandmother used to live right on the Mississippi River. She had a big old house, and the backyard literally went right to the water's edge. One Summer, we were visiting and my cousins were also there. All of us were playing in the backyard, between the water's edge and the house. Suddenly, my Grandmother, my Mother, and my Aunt all came running out of the house telling all of us kids to get inside!

We could tell by their demeanor they meant DO IT RIGHT NOW, DON'T ASK QUESTIONS! So, we jumped up and started running towards the house. When I reached my Mother, I turned around to see the biggest snake I've ever seen in my life, only 6 feet from where we were playing.

I have no idea what kind of snake it was, but it left such an impression on me that to this day, I'm terrified of any snake, be it garden variety or otherwise.

I can't even stand to see them on TV, or in a movie. Gives me the creeps!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    SamyT, do you have to get someone to remove them as soon as you see a python? How does that work?

I mean don't get me wrong, I would want it removed and would be freaking out, but do they do damage or are they dangerous at that size?

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    When's the last time a person has ever been injured and/or attacked by a python?

I'd worry more about squirrels. I KNOW they bite if you get them cornered.

ABW Ambassador
    Chief_Beef_aka_Squirrel_Chasa

I don't mess with snakes, got bit above the ankle when i was little, just remember it hurting and burning and going to the emergency room. See them around the yard every now and then.

I had rattlesnake for lunch at a place called RawHide in Arizona. Amazingly, I think chicken tastes just like rattlesnake.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ever since doing some black water stream fishing near Atlanta Georgia, and having to beat off attacking water moccasins with paddles, I purchased a sawed off double barrel 20 Gage shotgun. Going fishing in the south with the aggressive water snakes can be hazardous. The Copper Heads in Michigan and cousin water moccasin's of the south will come at you, where most snakes slither away if you make noise.

Last condo I had in Jacksonville Fla was right on the St John's River. While barbecuing on the back patio facing the river backwaters 50 yards away I heard a neighbor screaming. Her pet poodle was flopping in the yard near her 2 toddlers in their sandbox. I immediately spotted the culprets when one literally had his upper body & head raised 2 feet off the ground like a cobra near the dieing dog. (I still get bad dreams of that one)

I ran and got that 20 gage and shot the 2 snakes who had to be a plump six feet long. One neighbor called the cops thinking I shot the dog. I made the cops remove the carcuses after the wanks gave me a ticket for discharging a firearm inside city limits.... The ladies all pitched in and paid the ticket the next day.

Anyone who thinks they have the snake when they got him by the head are wrong ...the snake has you!!!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Not many snakes up here in Cleveland, but when i lived in New Orleans we saw a copperhead in the road at a state park. I asked a ranger about it.

Ranger: Did you run it over.
    Us: No, of course not.
    Ranger: Should've.

We bought firewood that night for camping, no trudging around in the lowlands looking for wood after that.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    yah, another snake hater here... I remember the flood of '86 & seeing rattlesnakes swimming in the river... I especially remember seeing some morons trying to catch them in bird cages!
    Hi, I'm a signature.

ABW Ambassador
    Is snake tasty then ? I've never tried it, but there was a small restaurant near where I used to live that served all sorts of bizarre stuff. Consequently, I can recommend Kangaroo, Bison sausages and Ostrich.

ABW Ambassador
    Very high up on the list of things I will never find out from personal experience:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyone who thinks they have the snake when they got him by the head are wrong ...the snake has you!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Chez, the guy was just a volunteer, he simply came out and relocated it away from our house. It might not hurt anything, bar eating one of our birds, but there are people living here who are afraid of snakes - being a free service it's no biggie to get it taken away eh?!

MarkyMark,

It wasn't bad and as a matter of fact I had buffalo along with it
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

Damn an impressive looking snake.

Samy, I didn't think you'd find a snake in Sydney, let alone two.
    Are in you in inner or outer Sydney?

The closest heart starter I've come to since moving down off the mountain is a blue tongue who hides in my garden and frightens the wits out of me when I get into weeding

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast