When my home phone and electric went down the other day, the phone man tipped me into requesting a new tier program that will increase my DSL speed.

I finally called today to request price and any additional information concerning the program.

At present I am paying 79.95 for multi computer usage at 256k.

Customer service said it would not be a problem she can hook me up with 1.5mk for only 54.95 a month.

Apparently they have not used the multi computer setup in a while and we are now being pro-rated. Is that not simply awesome!

EVERYONE you may want to call your service and see if anything has changed.

ABW Ambassador
    I called about that too.

However, CenturyTel put me on a business account for some reason (probably because I wanted seperate billing).

They thus REFUSED to let me sign up for the new plans they have (I wanted the 1.5 mb plan too). And the were very rude about it, too.

Thus, when my contract ends with them in June, I either have to end my account with them and then re-sign up (thus requiring a new username and email) or, most likely, I'll just pull the plug on the whole damn thing and sign up for cable - which is available, a bit faster and a tad less expensive.

Cable is not faster!

My neighbor just moved to build a home elsewhere and he is stuck with cable. "STUCK" his words -- he hates it.

Major complaint is it’s slower than DSL?

I have no personal experience with cable, stating only what was told me this month! It’s actually an on going joke... DSL anyone!

I would redo my plan and manually calculate my bill for taxes and claim HOME usage instead of business. If you were doing a few million in online business -- well --- you would not have an issue with it at all.

ABW Ambassador
    My understanding is that cable is always (potentially) faster than DSL. Apparently it slows down the more users there are sucking on the cable which can drag performance to speeds slower than DSL.

When I called about a DSL line, they said Lake Placid wasn't served by DSL yet but I could call back in 5 or 10 years for an update. So my experience is coming off a 28k dial-up to cable at my house. The difference is mind boggling and I can't imagine needing anything faster. Of course, I live just west of the middle of nowhere so when both of the other subscribers in town are on line, there really isn't any drop in speed. If you aren't in a high-traffic area, (cable-wise) it might be worth looking into. Your friend's experience may be peculiar to his new area.

My cable internet access is about the same as the DSL quote of 54 bucks. About $8 of it is price gouging, my penalty for refusing to buy a cable TV package. Now that the executives of the company are in jail for looting the company, I guess the balance of my payment goes for their legal fees. Previously I was paying for private jets and a $13 million golf course they built with company funds.

jimh009, I'd drop the DSL in a heartbeat because of their rudeness. And I'd send messages to the higher-ups, assuming they're not in jail too.

Wayne

DSL faster than Cable??? You've got to be kidding.

Here in Kansas you're lucky if DSL hits 768K, my cable connection is sitting at 3000K.

Of course the strange thing is, if I switched to a business account it would drop to 768K, don't you love the logic of ISP's.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    When I looked at cable vs. DSL I found lots of claims about download speed--but no DSL places that could match the UPload speed of cable.

Since most of my aggravation was caused by it taking forever to upload my pages even when I zipped 'em, it was an easy choice to pick cable.

Since then I've seen some new DSL offers come my way, but I haven't checked them out since the cable's been quite satisfactory.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

There are many factors affecting the speeds found at your house/business. The biggest factor is actually your ISP (cable/telco), and what they offer (feel like offering).

For DSL you need to be pretty close to the telephone companies "Dial Office" or C.O. to get the fastest speeds. This is changing a little, but still holds mostly true. All DSL providers must use your telephone company's dial office and lines to your house.

I have tried Cable, and DSL. I am about to try my second DSL provider. So far, Comcast is fastest, but I am all by myself in the area for cable - so I am lucky. Yes it does matter how many subscribers are using cable at the moment to determine your current speed.

There are so many different variables regarding speed. It really depends on the situation in your own area. You can go to a place like http://www.dslreports.com to read up about what might be best in your area. It's just something you have to check out for yourself.

Fred

Love this link to CenturyTel

Test your connection speed
    Select your location from the map below.

http://dslst.mx.centurytel.net/test/

Almost forgot to add this one also:
    http://www.dslreports.com/tools
    Speed Tests
    Test your line performance both upload speed and download speed, from several locations

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> jimh009, I'd drop the DSL in a heartbeat because of their rudeness. And I'd send messages to the higher-ups, assuming they're not in jail too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soon as my contract ends this June (I had to sign a 1 year contract with them - new people no longer have to do this), I plan on it.

As for complaining, I don't even bother anymore. I've found it gets me no where and is generally just a waste of time. Voting with the wallet sends a better message in any event.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread