ABW Ambassador
    I was at a work-related conference and disconnected from the 'Net for 3.5 days.

I came to a conclusion: There's a reason I'm making the money I am (not). I have no interest in my employer's mission. The job bores me to tears.

I spent my free time mapping out plans for dominating a keyword sector.

Carroll Shelby once said, "Ferrari's ass is mine!" I have my own Ferrari to chase after.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I hear the sounds...

The sounds of someone lacing up their running shoes in order to BOLT from a j*b!

You can do it...gut-up...spread your wings and GO!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I talked to my wife about it last night. She likes the "extra money" (her words) but she wants me to have more secure income.

IOW, she wants me to exchange my time and skills for a "paycheck".

I see her point: we have a child to concern ourselves with.

She really can't see this as being a viable source of income. It's too much "fun".
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    It's all about gradual migration, though at one point you might find that salary + commissions is something that is difficult to turn down in favour of commission only until you can ramp up those sales.

Having young kids of my own I know I need to see that monthly pay check right now!

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think her attitude would change if the "paycheck" was sufficiently dwarfed by the commission check. There should come a time when it'd be indefensibly counter-productive to your financial health, to waste time with such penny-ante things as most forms of empl*yment...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I would stay at your job for now. Of course if your at the point of almost stranging your boss (like me) I would make tons of sites and then quit or look for another job. that's my 2 cents. I had no choice I had to make the decision, have a sick life, or a good life. Which one would It be? LOL

Okay back to work!

LOL I'm on the verge of applying to the legendary MacDonalds...

ABW Ambassador
    weisinator, whatever you do, don't make your choice later in the year based on how well you are doing in Novemeber etc. Make your choice based on the lowest month in the past 6 months, could you live on that income?

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I think I'm going to do something else after the current project at work is done. Affiliate marketing has turned me into something else, I feel like becoming a sales person. I like Commissions!

Weisinator,

Before taking your foot off the dock, make sure your boat has at least 3 or 4 sails. If you're going to depend on commissions alone to pay the bills for the whole family, be sure that you're not to dependent on just 1 or two sources. A google re-org, a major merchant failure, or a plain old really good competitor could wipe you out if you depend too much on one source. Make sure you have steady income from at least 3 totally different niches with different vendors and different client types.
    Only when plan B is firmly in place should you set sail.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    I've got two and a half sails right now. I'm working on making one "rip-proof".

I spent 4 VERY unhappy years in face to face sales, affiliate marketing is nothing like that at all. I did however learn an awful lot of really useful stuff that I've put into place as an affiliate particularly about attitude, valuing my time and efforts and how to deal with the ups and downs.

I now have a job with a regular paycheck and it's a nice comfort that even as Homer Simpson says "If you hate your job, you don't strike, you just go in every day and do it in an half-assed way". I'm currently wavering about how much I can cut the day job down to dedicate time to affiliate marketing. Currently I could do it by 50-100%, but I worry it's not always going to be like this, and once I start to make cuts, I want them to be permanent.

I know the feeling you had in your meeting, I always take a pen and pad with me and plan out new sub-sections of a site or even write next months newsletter.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread