I am starting an affiliate site and have figured out how to use Web Merge to create pages, but still have questions about managing data feeds, receiving updates, page pagination, etc. If anyone is willing to help, please post or feel free to e-mail me at rick_whittington@hotmail.com.

ABW Ambassador
    Rick
    You are more likely to get help by asking specific questions. What is it you are having problems with now. Take it one step at a time and remember, datafeeds are only as good as the SEO behind the datafed site.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Specifically, here is what I need to know:

I want to take a single data feed with many products and generate "zones" or "categories" with links to complete product listings that are paginated. For example: I want to take a feed with guns and butter, generate a guns page that lists 25 items at a time (paginated) and a page that lists butter items 25 at a time (again, paginated).

Basically, I need to automate the process -- take a feed and generate pages from that feed. I know WebMerge does this but what I've encountered is that I would have to process the gun items and butter items seperately, and the page it generates is not paginated... Does this make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry, I dont use webmerge myself - found it too restrictive in the early version I downloaded, but what you want to do sounds easy enough. Talk with Fourth World and ask them for help. The guy there seems very friendly on this forum.

I think they have a forum here (Fourth World) (Is there one, or am I dreaming of lots of webmerge postings), and ask there for the help you require. Lots of users to help you there.

Andy Williams

If there's a way to do it without Web Merge, I'm open to that also.

ABW Ambassador
    You could learn PHP & MySQL.

Sorry, its either that or use some softwaare like WebMerge to do it (or write your own software if you are a programmer).

Andy Williams

Rick, if you're not a programmer then webmerge or some other software package is probably the best way. The alternative is writing scripts (php, perl , shell) which is more complicated but gives you more flexibility.

Like Andy says, the best way to do this is to learn how to do it with databases and a scripting language (MySQL/PHP, or Access/ASP, etc.)

(Nothing against webmerge, it surely has it's place, but I'm a programmer at heart.)

If you want to embark on that, check out the book called "Web Database Applications with PHP & MySQL" from O'Reilly Press, or "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL" by Kevin Yank.

I can't vouch for either book, but in general I'm a big fan of the O'Reilly books like any good geek.

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

ABW Ambassador
    I can vouch for the Kevin Yank book. Excellent. Simple enough for none programmers, detailed enough to get a solution up and running. Now where is that affiliate link....

Andy Williams

Super info, everyone, thanks! I guess the real learning curve will come when I receive a real data feed from a merchant...

"Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL" by Kevin Yank.

You can download the first 4 chapter in this site to see it fits you.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/228

ABW Ambassador
    Can anyone recommend a good book about buidling database driven sites that are on Windows Servers - either using ASP or Cold Fusion MX? And the book needs to start at the real basics - like how to build a database, my big problem - and then move onto the scripting part of the equation.

Thanks.

Jim

jimh009,
    Coldfusion MX has a very comprehensive documentation bundled with it. I think it is the best way to learn Coldfusion MX, but of course, it doesnt show you how to build a database. But after you learn some basics about databases, the included documentation would/should be enough.
    Other than that, if you really want a book, i recommend Ben Forta's books, who is also the Senior Product Evangelist for Coldfusion MX. The book "ColdFusion MX Web Application Construction Kit" is good for beginners and intermediate users. If you want to buy a CF book, go buy Ben Forta without thinking of anyone else. The price is 39$
    If you wiil be using CF, you will probably using Access or mSql as database. Both are Microsoft software, are very easy to use. Access even has that office asistant with stupid sounds.
    If you are going to choose ASP, take a look at "Beginning ASP Databases" by John Kauffman.

I would choose Cf MX (i did several years ago), it really has a faster learning curve, much easier than ASP, and as powerful as ASP.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread