Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Warning!

Let me start out saying I love ABW. The information posted here by other members has been immensely helpful and I also love being able to communicate with the merchants through ABW (as well as learn about lots of new programs I probably never would have otherwise).

Yet, over the past couple of months, things seem to have taken on a somewhat negative spin anymore. There is just so many negative posts about affiliate marketing on ABW these days that it sort of makes me a bit sick at times. Many long time posters who know tons about affiliate marketing (and who's posts I respect) seem to be giving up, getting frustrated or backing out of the scene altogether. Such sentiment doesn't help the newbies out there, either.

I can understand PART of the reasons. Clearly, the changes in SE space have had an affect on certain types of sites. What use to work to gain rankings in the SE's frequently no longer does anymore. And as many of these "pure" shopping portal sites have little in the way of repeat traffic, loss of SE traffic is a big blow to take.

And, on top of it, you also have the parasite problem and the network indifference to it. Again, this can indeed be frustrating - especially if you have a huge mall site that lists every merchant you can find (many of whom are of course "infected").

Yet, while there are indeed negatives to affiliate marketing (and new ones seem to pop up everyday), I think it always helps to step back and see what you have going for you in this business. By doing so, you can perhaps come up with new ways to make money from your current sites or get new ideas for new ones.

The benefits of affiliate marketing are almost too long to list. Affiliate marketing gives you almost absolute freedom in some ways. You can work at home whenever you want, not have to deal with customer service and can deduct some pretty darn nice "expenses" as "business expenses." Case in point - I recently got back from a one week ski trip that was fully tax deductible. It was a really "rough business trip", let me tell you!

For me at least, affiliate marketing has almost been a dream come true - it allows me to explore topics of interest, deduct the cost of doing those interests, and still make money all at the same time. I also think the security of my affiliate income is MORE secure than it is at a job - considering the turmoil in American coporations these days. While my income isn't stable on a month to month basis by any means (it bounces around between 3k to 6k a month, depending on the time of year) - it IS secure (in that I know for a fact I'm gonna make money off my site that month. The question, of course, is how much??)

Moreover, how many businesses in this world today can you literally start out of your own home - with virtually no expenses? My total fixed "business costs" is a whopping $45 a month or so. My "startup costs" consisted of lots of typing, a digital camera, traveling around Montana and a "hot" copy of Dreamweaver and Fireworks 4 (since upgraded to paid versions, though!).

I also think that people who think affiliate marketing is not gonna be around 2 or 3 years from now are also way off the mark. Affiliate marketing is one of the most effective advertising methods around - and is a win-win situation for all parties involved. Even if the networks die a slow and painful death by ignoring the current issues around parasites and ad blocking software and such (something I don't think will happen - I think at least some of the networks, in time, will get their act together out of financial necessity in the years ahead), good quality merchants can always work around these problems by simply running their own programs in-house. The choices of merchants may be a bit more limited in the future if this would happen - but opportunities will still be there. Indeed, they are there even now - as many indy programs listed on this board show.

In short, affiliate marketing still allows anyone who has a passion for a subject to make money with it out of their own home - at virtually no cost except for the time spent creating it. How many other businesses can compete with that???

Of course, the landscape in affiliate marketing is always changing. I've seen it myself in just the two short years I've been doing this (2 years as of April 12th, 2004 - the last day I ever held a job!). And the recent changes in the SE's seem to have accelerated this. As such, anyone who is serious about staying in affiliate marketing will have to go with these changes. It may require creating new sites, re-working old ones, or just a plain old big change in strategy. But regardless, there is still and always will be money to be made in affiliate marketing for those willing to put in the time creating quality sites that have a purpose of some sort.

And, echoing what another poster said in the CJ forum, if you are seeing dramatic drops in your affiliate earnings recently - perhaps now might be a good time to take a close look at both your site and your marketing strategy. While it isn't always fun to do this - the time I've spent self-evaluating my site has helped immensely. You may be surprised by what a critical look at your website may uncover - for improving conversions, getting more traffic and retaining some sense of stability in the SE's for your website.

Anyways, before I step off my soapbox, I would just like to say affiliate marketing is far from dead. Affiliates that flow with the changes and continue to improve their sites and make new ones can only have a great future in this business I believe.

Also, as a final parting shot, for those being overly negative these days about the state of affiliate marketing - lighten up!! There is nothing wrong with bringing the problems in affiliate marketing to light and discussing them - that is how positive changes are made. However, as any good self-help book points out - constantly being negative is self-defeating in the longer term.

Oh yeah, be sure to read Trust's sig line - I think that is the best sig line on this board. It really does say it all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "The competitor to be feared is one who never bothers about you at all, but goes on making his own business better all the time. - Henry Ford" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

End......

I also think that people who think affiliate marketing is not gonna be around 2 or 3 years from now are also way off the mark.

I would just like to say affiliate marketing is far from dead. Affiliates that flow with the changes and continue to improve their sites and make new ones can only have a great future in this business I believe.

constantly being negative is self-defeating in the longer term."]]

You're 100% accurate.

Sal.

I'm with you jimh009, what's up with all the negativity now. Affiliate Marketing has given me the benefit of being self employed and racking up the revenue to survive for the last 8 months. And sure sometimes it is a rough day, just take a step back and try something new. Sure Search engines have made changes that may of effected some. but Don't rely on SEO all the time. Try other ways to benefit. I do not agree that this industry will be gone in the next three years. The following reasons are.

1. You buy toilet paper, you buy food, you buy products that you use all the time, So why would this industry go away in the next couple years.

2. The internet has lower and better deals then offline retail. As a x-employee of working in the grocery industry I can tell you this is a major industry in savings(Like the coupon cutting) I'm already seeing better deals and lower prices then what you can find in the offline retail industry.

3. Have you seen the news about this industry.

America's shoppers boost retail sales by largest amount this year

US Hispanics Are Rapidly Embracing the Internet

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news...d.asp?id=15698

E - Commerce Results Please Most Retailers
    http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=18900947

US March Retail Sales Jump 1.8%, Led by Cars, Clothing

http://www.quicken.com/investments/n...r&column=P0DEC

and the list goes on....

Now no matter what people will always find a good deal somewhere on the internet.

For those who are backing out, and quitting all I can say you are jeapardizing your financial future. Go back to the job, and be treated with disrespect,unfair schedules. It's your choice.

All I can say is as long as I have computer access I will be making thousands of dollars and enjoying life to the fullest. It took me 3 years to reach $1200 a month,without any possible increases in salary.
    and it will take me 2 years to reach over $1200 a month with a unlimited cash flow.

That's my 2 cents.

I may not be making a full-time living with affiliate marketing YET, but I do know a thing or two about marketing. Now if only datafeeds, MYSQL, etc. was as easy for me to learn as marketing... I write better in words than in codes! lol

Marketing is a fun area to work in offline, but it can be very frustrating at the same time. The internet is even worse because it's the fastest changing environment you will probably ever see.

The only difference on the internet is that you KNOW it will change before anything happens. What worked last year may not necessarily work as well this month, and may not work at all 6 months from now. With affiliate marketing on the internet, the competition is much greater. We can't afford to be reactive, we have to be proactive. Find solutions to problems BEFORE they arise. You have to be ready for change so it doesn't kill you when it comes knocking at your door.

When I was in the recruiting game, I always advised my affiliates to put time aside EVERY WEEK to find new advertising venues and learn and do new things. I still emphasize this on my website today. We should never rely on just one or two methods that work NOW, or the end will be nearer than we think.

Stay positive, and keep plugging at it until you get it right. Then you start over with something different until you master this too. And so on... That's my motto! It's still better than having a boss, isn't it?

Catwoman

We just miss the google update. Watching the changes all weekend.. searching for our keywords.. waiting and hitting the top! That was more fun than cashing all the checks. Bring back the dance!

ABW Ambassador
    I totally agree. For all you complianers and whiners just shut up for once in a while will you. I sure am tired of listening to it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with Jim! All the negativity is polluting the Arena!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You have to be ready for change so it doesn't kill you when it comes knocking at your door. ~Catwoman <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but I also think it's like one of those old platform video games.

Jump too soon, you come short of the next platform and fall to your doom.

Jump too late, and the platform you're on scrolls out from under you--and you fall to your doom.

To survive, jumping at the right time is every bit as important as the act of jumping in itself.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The world around us is ever changing and if you dont keep up than you fall behind.

What makes affiliate marketing so different? Nothing Does.

To be successful you have to be smarter than the next person. The affiliates who will suffer most in falling behind are the ones who churn out 1000's of pages using DB Utils such as Webmerge and have no knowledge of their target audience. I have only been activley Affiliate marketing for a few months and have already noticed the changes in attitude of posters here. You can tell who they are just be their attitude while reading their posts.

A prime example is Norton,
    Norton can and will block whatever links it likes. In future realeases and updates more will follow. Its no good just writng a post, whining and sitting back and see who else replies and *****es, use your brain and develop a workaround. The Affiliateers who will surivive are the ones who will develop a solution.

It is not rocket science to figure it out, but the more who can't adapt to the ever changing world, then the more commission and sales will be for the 'Smarter Affiliate' who can adapt.

Affilite marketing has changed considerably very recently and if you can't see where and how you can manipulate your websites to compensate this, then you will be left behind.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Life at the top is hard,
    But life at the bottom is harder ....

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To survive, jumping at the right time is every bit as important as the act of jumping in itself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    All the while you have to keep looking for whatever it is that will allow you to fly over those obstacles, or even a warp pipe, while of course keeping away from cheating. Okay, maybe I went overboard with your analogy.

Anyway, the original post by Jim was so stinking long... overdue.
    I forgot what I was doing.

First of all, let me say I agree about all the negativity. It's kept me away from the boards recently.

Second, I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations about affiliate marketing. There are a lot of little ways this manifests itself, but the bottom line is this - it's not perfect and not necessarily fair. That could apply to practically anything in life, but, for any number of reasons, most folks think that shouldn't apply to AM. So when their unrealistically high expectations are not met, they turn bitter and lash out.

It's a young, fast-paced industry in constant flux with vague guidelines. If you don't enjoy roller coasters, it's not something to get involved in right now.

So, I agree - lighten up! Life's too short!

I agree it's better to be positive than negative but if you're feeling negative then that's how you're feeling and having a good moan is better than bottling it up.

Telling people who are feeling negative to be positive or shut the f@ck up is just about the MOST negative thing you can do to them.

I started using affirmation techniques recently and I am amazed - they work. I already notice an improvement in confidence and attitude within myself. That's my positive contribution to this thread...

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Yes I totally agree. One of the things that has been on my todo list is to start a positive motivation thread in my forum with links to good uplifting online tape clips from Audible and NighengaleConant about positive self expectancy, self confidence and successful conditioning.

I have even thought about having a weekly conference call that was based on positive thinking and success conditioning with no whining allowed.

Rad is ABSOLUTELY right. Self affirmation, postivie visualization and listening to or reading positive info helps.

You can't control many situations can happen in any business. The only thing you CAN control is YOUR OWN ATTITUDE. You attract what you think about most. If you think doom and gloom you will most likely get it. If you see every glass as half empty - guess what? It will be!

Every business has negatives and problems. If you were a farmer you would have to overcome draught, then later everything gets wiped out in a flood, next it's an infestation of BUGS that eat your precious crops. (Not so different than our biz is it?)

Some people are winners, some just give up. But if you give up, you will find a new biz with a new set of problems and wish you were back here adn had stuck with it.

It's OK to vent and healthy.

But the ones who will make it are the ones who don't complain here everyday. They are out there WORKING and RESEARCHING and finding new ways to OVERCOME and be PROFITABLE and SUCCESSFUL.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Maybe pictures of some of the CEOs of the parasitic companies, defaced will cheer some folks up?

Or maybe a game "kill the parasite" something like centipede?

I think some people are just happy being miserable.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not a physicist, but I know you would all be in big trouble without negativity. Don't forget, we negative types have all the electrons. Careful what you wish for. You positives will be in big trouble.

Wayne

Electrons are negative, but it's we positives who are the nuclei at the center of the atoms.

I consider myself a neutron.

ABW Ambassador
    But why does the energy that powers the world have morons at the center?

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Great Post Jim

I couldnt agree more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    But why does the energy that powers the world have morons at the center?

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the "general populace" votes it in...

This topic is messing up my neurons.

ABW Ambassador
    One atom turns to the other and says, "Oh, no! I think I'm an ion!" The other atom says, "Are you sure?" "Yes, I'm positive!"

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    One atom turns to the other and says, "Oh, no! I think I'm an ion!" The other atom says, "Are you sure?" "Yes, I'm positive!"

Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot what I was doing.

I think the negativity here recently comes from the continued battle of affiliates to keep what's rightfully theirs. We keep getting reports that the CoC is working, and that the networks are enforcing it, yet we still see evidence that this isn't really true.

We've seen members of our own group pulling dirty stunts like forcing cookies, targeting other affiliate sites with parasitic adware, and then denying that they knew what they were doing.

We've seen SPAM continue to grow, in spite of the new legislation that was supposed to put a stop to it.

CJ has spent a disproportionate amount of time offline recently, and now LinkShare has rolled out a new security feature that's so secure it prevents members from accessing the site!

I think it's understandable and reasonable that there is negativity here. Realistically, it can't always be dancing bananas and mangos.

Andy

Great post Jim.

Before I got into the web business and AM, I was in corporate management. Needless to say, there were long hours, few days off, little say in your continued employment. As in most big corporations, your future and pay scale is determined by people in other states, who don't know you.

Now I made good money there but I had no life of my own. Affiliate Marketing allows me to have that life. I still can't believe that the old saying of, "If you build it, they will come", is true. Now it takes work but you have to work anyway.

Make mine affilate marketing anyday. This forum is one of the best and more important reasons to stay in it.

We are the future of retail. And don't you forget it.

Remember, that your focus determines your reality. Think negative, your life will be filled with negativity. Think postive, and you will see answers for every problem.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    Tiger23,

That is one heck of a post.

Surround yourself with positive things and get rid of the negative ones. Find out what makes you hungry and keep it close to your heart. That is the only thing that will keep you focused through thick and thin.

Once again a most brilliant post.

DPG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast