Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I get some strange reactions when I try to explain what I am doing on the internet. Comments like "Is this a pyramid" or "what KIND of stuff are you selling". A few have found this interesting but most react in a strange manner, perhaps it's jealosy. Some just stop talking and quickly change the subject. I have quickly learned to keep this my "little secret" or tell people I make a "couple bucks" (that makes em happy).
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

... of course, in most of Wisonsin getting a 'couple bucks' is easy - just drive your car around sunset its easy to hit some

yep same here. don't even bother trying to explain to them what this is about. they will just say is this a pyramid or something like that.

ABW Ambassador
    I tell people that I am an online marketing rep. whose job it is to obtain high search engine rankings and quality traffic and increase sales.

This isn't really that different from being a marketing rep that marches products to potential buyers in person.

People seem very impressed.
    I just don't go into the details.

Lily

Affiliate Manager
    My friends and family members used to tease me alot back in 1997 when I first started all this. Now the very same people they all bug me to teach them how to do it.

ABW Ambassador
    I tell people I'm a web publisher. They have no idea what that means - and I've given up trying to explain it. Most people are completely clueless about what is involved in "web publishing."

I've told friends what I do and most don't get it at all - even though it is all laid out on my site even! Two other friends did "get it" and have started sites - one still is in the process of going online and the other persons site is sort of dying.

ABW Ambassador
    I tell my family, they listen, but I've still only been at it for a short while, still waiting for my first sale... it's hard. I want them to see how much potential is in this, but I don't have anything to show for it yet. It's strange, some of the people who make money don't talk much about it, and me who is new, won't shut up about it.
    I forgot what I was doing.

When I started out with AM about two years ago my family were really worried about me Now they want me to teach them how to do it - my sister even bought a computer for this.

As for other people - I never bother explaining ( I used to). I just tell'em I have a business.

"or tell people I make a "couple bucks" (that makes em happy)."

So true. Most people have such unexpected reactions. I mean why can't they get motivated to learn how to do this instead of being jealous.

ABW Ambassador
    I've never had a weird reaction - most people say they wish they could do what I do and admire the talent... if only they knew how little talent it actually takes lol

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    True. It doesn't take a lot of talent - if it did I wouldn't be making anything. It does take a lot of hard work, willingness to learn from your own mistakes, and ability to roll with the changes.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I tell people that I own 25 web sites and leave it to their imaginations as to how I make money off of the sites. I've also told people that I am a 'traffic broker', which gives them something to chew on.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

traffic broker, that is great!

traffic broker
    keyword promoter
    crawler optimizator
    online inventory advertiser
    links broker

ABW Ambassador
    I usually get 1 of 2 responses.

1. A blank stare like they are looking in a bare cupboard they thought was full.

2. "I thought about doing that" (yea, right, sure you did.)

Most people I know, know I have back problems. The conversation normaly goes something like:

THEM - Hi Pat, Hows the back doing. Is it any better?

ME - Umm, about the same but whatcha gonna do about it. I can live with it.

THEM - Oh, thats really to bad, so your not working yet?

ME trying to be nice - Well, yea, I'm still doing the webpages and Affiliate Marketing.

THEM - Well hopefully the back will get better so you can get back to work. How much ya making doing that stuff.

ME Biting My Toungue - Pretty good money actualy, normaly average about $8.00 an hour give or take depending on the time of year.

THEM - Hmmm, I suppose that's not too bad for not being able to work because of your back

ME - No not to bad. Of course I don't mention that the hourly wage is 24/7 year round, while I sleep, play, party and so on. In other words, I've gotten use to being a bumm and kind of like it figure let them think what they want to
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

My mother asked me if what I was doing was legal - they just can't imagine what it is I do or how I make money from it.

The one time I tried to explain she says to me oh so because of you it costs us more money to buy stuff...

<groan>
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I get all sorts of wierd reactions:

The few close associates at the "day job" are inquisiive/envious/jealous but happy for me. They bug me about once a month to know what commissions have been running. For the past 8 or 9 months it's been more than they make (almost double the average salary here), so I tend to just clam up when I can. They understand it fully, but don't have the vision to do it themselves.

As my boss, the CIO (I report directly to him), I had to tell him as part of my contract. He asks every so often, but since the commissions passed my salary, he doesn't ask anymore. He just knows that I'm not desparate and work for him to keep growing personally, not for the $$$.

My sister and brother were totally confused for a while, but are starting to "get it" They've seen some of the checks since I send them to my mother's place. Now they want me to set them up with something. I've showed them how it all works, where to go to learn more (told them to lurk at ABW to get the best education) - but I won't build them something directly - they'll have to put work into it too.

Dad is curious, doesn't really understand it, but gets a kick out of the fact that his son makes money on the internet. He might be a bit envious too, but he has no idea what the commissions have been running.

And Mom? She's totally clueless. But she's the one who benefits the most - Gave her a bathroom renovation for Christmas, and she's getting a new PC for her birthday next week (shhh - don't tell her - it's a surprise!)
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I just tell them its the same as my offline sales agency
    They come to my site, click to a merchant and I get a commission per sale

I like da packsters reply
    " Of course I don't mention that the hourly wage is 24/7 year round, while I sleep, play, party and so on. In other words, I've gotten use to being a bumm and kind of like it figure let them think what they want to "

My march commissions ended up in the 4 figures which was a first for a non christmas selling month.
    I could get used to becoming a bum and living off the net

ABW Ambassador
    I tried explaining it to my mother. She, being a nurse, replied with an explanation of "The Krebs Cycle".

I was silent with a "huh?" look on my face. She explained "now you know how I feel."

Okay, that never happened, but it probably will soon.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

<or tell people I make a "couple bucks" (that makes em happy).>

That's where I've settled, nothing makes people feel better about being ignorant than thinking that it's not worth knowing about.

I had a day where one merchant earned me $3000, I was checking my stats at work when someone else was there and was totally bowled over, he reacted as if I'd just been into the page and typed the numbers in. He mentioned it at break to some others but again they looked at me as if I was mad and making it up, so I just shrugged - probably won't stick (it did!).

Gives me a real buzz that since last October as a school teacher I've been earning more than anyone else at school including the principal and with much less stress too! Planning on winding the day job down somewhat from September. Who needs promotion when a week working on a new section earns the same over a year.

They didn't understand until I explained I made more online than I did from my job. Suddenly they completely understood and supported it.

ABW Ambassador
    I suffer from a lack of enthusiam. I'm just trying to get family members to be enthusiatic about it so that I don't feel like I'm crazy doing this. The goals are being met, but the income still isn't coming hardly. Then again, I've only been at this for a couple of months.
    I forgot what I was doing.

I tell coworkers all kinds of crap one guy at work says "you probably dont make anything" well since I was new at the time and didnt have many sales yet I made a page called yearly results and attached it to my site typed in 25,975 as the total for the year so far lol. when I showed them they were shocked. I made it look real good too, probably the best page I ever made. the guys at work are not web smart at all sometimes they ask what I really sell and I tell them paris hilton pictures just to get them going lmaopmp just thinking about it now

Affiliate Manager
    For me, it's actually a little different. I just got out of college in May 03 and I was somewhat looking for a job, but couldn't get used to the idea of 9 to 5.
    Then, I suggested to my parents, who were or still are supporting me, that I would love to do the affiliate marketing thing, and they agreed. First, they said that I would have to make a certain amount until december (started in September), but I didn't make that amount. But, they were still very cool about it and they saw the money that I was making. Now, last month, I made for the first time the same amount I would have made at a 9 to 5 job per month. And April is looking even better.
    But, to my relatives, I don't even really try to explain. I just tell them I do internet marketing, and they ask me if I'm not thinking about getting a real job. Oh well, at least my parents understand it and are supportive.
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

I just tell people I design websites for a living. If they ask which ones I give them the id of my domain registration site...

Two of my cousins have bought domains from me and don't even know it LOL

A few have asked if there is any money in this -- I just tell them I'm making enough to keep me off the streets!
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Ward:
    ..nothing makes people feel better about being ignorant than thinking that it's not worth knowing about.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the quote of the year as far as I'm concerned. It's sort of like the theory of relativity for me. It just explains everything there is to know about people in one simple sentence! Great quote!
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast