HI,

I couldn't find in lurking, a discussion about site terms and use policies for publishers and advertiser/affiliate relationships. Consumer info type.

I belong to several Affiliate Network and Independent Merchant programs that offer affiliate/association relationships.

This morning I was watching my favorite news program with coffee and saw interview about the Apprentice show, during the interview was the CEO of shopping.com. So I decided to check it out, Big free Internet shopping advertising!

This site offers compare shopping using some of the affiliate programs I use, but it looks like it offers a Merchant Program, not an affiliate shopping relationship site.

Also when I typed in shopping.com, it redirected. This is what it says for why are these stores listed. "The Shopping.com Merchant Network program uses a performance-based model in which stores bid for enhanced placement..."

Nowhere could I find where they say they are an affiliate of this Merchant, which would pay them, instead of him paying the merchant, it seems.

Is this ethical? Is this considered to be a "parasite" Merchant affiliate type of relationship?

I find it confusing trying to understand the double standard. Appreciate any insight.

Wackywoman said...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I find it confusing trying to understand the double standard. Appreciate any insight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I find it confusing trying to understand this post. That's probably why you didn't get any answers. What exactly is your question?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Parasite? No.

"Nowhere could I find where they say they are an affiliate of this Merchant, which would pay them, instead of him paying the merchant, it seems."

You already found it. But it's in terms you didn't expect It seems your eyes went right by the meaning of this:

""The Shopping.com Merchant Network program uses a performance-based model in which stores bid for enhanced placement..."

There is a place for merchants to sign up to be listed under a PPC-based model (apparently tracked by Shopping.com). Even if some of the merchants are running under standard commission plans, the use of the term "bid" gets the important point across--the stores are showing because there's money in it for Shopping.com. Commission percentages or EPC could indeed be considered a "bid," too, if used to determine placement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is this ethical? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't comb the site looking for tricks, but it seems ethical from a quick look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is this considered to be a "parasite" Merchant affiliate type of relationship? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I think what you are thinking of are "Duper affiliates."

It's NOT a duper from what I can see, because they don't seem to be running an affiliate program. Dupers are places that set up affiliate programs--typically paying lead fees for signups to their site's membership rolls--but who are really affiliates themselves.

So what happens with a Duper is you end up sending them customers which could have been *your* customers--for a paltry lead fee.

I see no affiliate program at Shopping.com, therefore I do not believe they belong in the "Duper" category. And, I didn't see any downloads offered, so that lets them out of the "parasite" category.

Looks legit to me. But I may have missed something, since I didn't scour the site.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thank you leader for sharing your insight.

To Iceishot - My confusion? i,e if you are an Amazon associate, they require the website publisher to acknoweldge your relationship as: Publisher in association with Amazon.com., or with other Affiliate Agreements ie, in affiliation with "Merchant", or something along those lines..

But if you are just publishing an advertisment for a Merchant and charging for your link, then you don't have to say anything other than your CYA policy. Or is it no big deal to the consumers you direct to the merchants sites..

I may be totally wrong..that's probably why I' m confused.

Words that explain a relationship and it does have a baring on how market them, doesn't it...

wackywoman said...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But if you are just publishing an advertisment for a Merchant and charging for your link, then you don't have to say anything other than your CYA policy. Or is it no big deal to the consumers you direct to the merchants sites..
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    To tell you the truth... I never really thought about that. I can see your confusion though.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread