Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I just got home from the doctor's office where I was diagnosed with tendinitis of the thumb. Yep, the very same thumb I use to drive my mouse ball.

Prescription: thumb splint, 12 visits to a physical therapist, "take it easy on the computer."

Has anyone else been injured in the line of duty?

Can self-employed folks claim worker's compensation?

Rhea,
    Sorry to hear that!

You can massage your hands and fingers with vick's vaporub everyday and don't wash your hand after working on the pc all day or night!
    rub some vicks on it after your done working on your pc and rest first before you do some washing or what ever you have to do to get your hands wet!

It's a homemade relief free of charge for you!

I hope you feel better soon!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I've been diagnosed with tendinitis in my elbow, I wear a wrist splint becuse I have pain in my wrists also. Had nerve test (thank god for insurance, cost over $900) they say no carpel tunnel but then again I wonder if they know what they are talking about? They billed my insurance lots and never tell me anything besides you probably have tendinitis.

ABW Ambassador
    I used to suffer with pain in my wrist, and thumb. Then I switched to an optical mouse, and started using a mouse pad that covers a lot more of my desk. This has allowed me to move around and find different 'comfort zones'
    I no longer have the pain.

People tend to underestimate the potential damage that can be done when using the mouse

ABW Ambassador
    Might be grabbing at straws but it would not hurt to try alternating different types and sizes of mice so that you won't be straining yourself in the exact same way each day. I've had trouble with back spasms and have found that changing chairs once in a while tends to alleviate it a bit.

Sorry to hear about that but welcome to the club. I rotate between normal mouse and track ball (thumb). They both hurt different parts of my arm / wrist so I switched to a normal mouse using my left hand. It takes a few days to get used to it but now I am quite good with it.

There is still pain but becasue I switch hands and mice type, this alleviates reinjuries and helps alot. And like Nova says, self massage also helps alot. Also try dipping your hand in super cold water for a few minutes / day. This will help with blood flow and the healing process.

Hope this helps.

http and a telephoto
    I find that the Gyration wireless optical mouse is great, it is a different shape than the ordinary mouse, and if you can figure out how to do it (my son is a pro and never uses the mouse on the desk anymore) you can use it in the air using totally different muscles.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks guys, for some really excellent advice. I do have a new mouse which I'm going to hook up tonight, and I forgot to mention I was told to ice my thumb, and also Nova, thanks for the tip about Vicks Vaporub. I am going to smell dee-li-cious for a while I guess!

I can't wait to see what kind of exercise the physical therapist comes up with for my thumb. Will they give me teeny-tiny weights to lift, do you think?

Sorry to hear about your tendinitis Rhea
    Take it easy on the computer isn't always an option in our line of business.

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel many years ago and was given the option of an operation.
    But I'm not much into ops, especially when it comes to my hands and eyes.

An old 'bushie' told me to smoother the hand in Goanna Oil and wrap a banana skin around it, and bandage it up for a few hours a day.

Okay, sounds nuts, but I did this for a week and 10 years later, no carpel tunnel and I've never had any pain no matter how many hours I paint or work on the computer.

Talking about the working wounded, I was getting such a sore butt from sitting, changed chairs,bought new ones, changed positions but it got to the point where I'd have to slide off the chair before I could straighten up.

So I got one of those inflatable ring cushions from a Pharmacy....and it's fantastic, it distributes your weight, there is no pressure on your lower spine and it makes you sit up straight...so if anyone is suffering back pain, you might want to get one of these.

Hang in Rhea, I know how painful it is but I do know the Goanna Oil and banana skin really does work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
    I just got home from the doctor's office where I was diagnosed with tendinitis of the thumb. Yep, the very same thumb I use to drive my mouse ball.

Prescription: thumb splint, 12 visits to a physical therapist, "take it easy on the computer."

Has anyone else been injured in the line of duty?

Can self-employed folks claim worker's compensation? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Have the same situation, but on my butt, my doctor ordered me a spscial support for my wrist, i guess you would have to sue yousely, but no pain, no gain.
    just a nickle's worth
    jj

MJ, I was curious about the goanna oil you mentioned, and found this link in "Urban Legends." Do you know if you had the real deal or not? I'm not sure how I feel about rubbing lizard fat on my body, but hey...if it works, who am I to argue with Aboriginal medicine?

http://www.urbanlegends.com/faq2k/antipodean_324.html

(As you can see I am not exactly resting my thumb. I haven't figured out how to work online without the darn thing just yet.)

"the very same thumb I use to drive my mouse ball"

I had that same problem long time ago and the only way that I finally was able to resolved was this way:

Disclaimer.
    ---------------
    { Warning, before you use this idea or any other idea, consult with your doctor first, he needs to make some money and at the same time I assume no responsibility for this self-made treatment} use at your own risk.
    ---------------

I was having so much pain on my thumb on the hand that I use to mouse around that not matter what I was trying to do to use the other hand, I always ended up using the painful thumb, until one day that I decided to try an old trick that I read about what people that have problem sleeping on their back use.

This may sound funny but, it worked for me.

I took a tennis ball and made a hole on it big enough to stick my painful thumb inside every time that I was using the computer, the first couple of days I jabbed myself a few times but, I get use to it, after about three weeks of first inserting my thumb on the tennis ball before I get to the computer, all the pain went away and now I can joke about it but, it worked for me.

Sal.

LOL! no wouldn't recommend chopping up a lizard to smoother you hand with it's fat

Pop along to the local pharmacy and buy a bottle of the Goanna Oil as it's now made, eucalyptus oil, pine oil, mint and menthol and whatever else...but don't forget the banana skin.

Hey, it worked,nutty as it sounds,10 years later no pain

BTW,That's a funny story about the drovers putting the poor old goanna's on valium lol!

I guess its time to learn some shortcuts on the keyboard huh.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread