Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    After much consideration I am getting out of the website building. Those of you who have linked to my sites probably want to remove links, as my websites will be offline after this month. I have made this decision based on three reasons:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>I have grown weary. Google has won. INK knocked me out, as well.<LI>I fear I have been black listed due to my reproachable offenses recently (word gets around, huh?)<LI>Did I say I have grown weary? Two plus months of an 80% decrease in traffic has done me in financially. I will simply will not be forced to pay for inclusion in what should be free.[/list]

any hoo. I have enjoyed this abw community, and have an appreciation for most of her members. hat's off to Haiko, who has on more than one occasion put up with my obnoxiousness. He has put together a fine web community. hats off to all of you. Best wishes in your success!

Oh yeah, btw... again, I apologize for earlier offensive postings. I hope that those of you who may have been hurt, or angered can forgive.

Big Chuck
    a.k.a. Charles LeGrande

ABW Ambassador
    Cya

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Rather than just ripping your site down, you should try to sell it, maybe someone around here would give some decent bucks for an established site like that.

See ya around, Chuck.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Considering the fact they have obviously (all four) been penalized, or excluded by the major search engines, who would want them? I would be willing to sell two of the domains to the highest bidder...

thecouponguy.com
    magazinewebsite.com

ABW Ambassador
    TheCouponGuy has a PR of 4 with over 300 pages in the index and it looks like your traffic has dropped a little so i don't think you've been penalized or anthing like that. Feb looks like a 10% drop over last year, March a 25% drop.

Why are you advertising other coupon sites on your site? I see at least 3 different ones on the home page.

Big Chuck, all the best in the future.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo has the pages
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=sit...t&cop=mss&tab=

Magazine site looks fine too.

Probably just need to tweak them, do something a little different with them.

Take care Big Chuck!

I wish you the best in your new journey!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    TheCouponGuy has a PR of 4 with over 300 pages in the index and it looks like your traffic has dropped a little so i don't think you've been penalized or anthing like that. Feb looks like a 10% drop over last year, March a 25% drop.

Why are you advertising other coupon sites on your site? I see at least 3 different ones on the home page. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have over 500 pages on the server PR of 4? Really? That's the reason why I think my sites have been penalized. It appears someone has manually did their own tweaking. My gift site with over 700 pages got zapped by INK (yahoo/MSN), and now Google. If my sites bounce back before the end of the month I'll keep 'em up. But at this rate I am losing money.

Those coupon sites use to be my a good investment of space. My traffic has greatly decreased. Yes. My coupon site is one those dreaded traffic stealers.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I'll give you $100 for the pair, paypal.

Although I certainly wouldn't be offering magazinecity.net subs on that one considering they run adverts for PopularScreensavers.com on every page. Grrrrr.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.thecouponguy.com PR 4
    http://www.magazinewebsite.com PR 3

Pages are both in Google and Yahoo

"My gift site with over 700 pages got zapped by INK (yahoo/MSN), and now Google."

Yahoo has its own search now, not INK. MSN is using INK which is owned by Yahoo.

Don't know your about your gift site, but the 2 above seem fine, have PR and indexed.

Just checked you mag site, traffic pretty much the same as last year. This March a 9% dip from March of last year.

ABW Ambassador
    If those sites are still kicking when you thought they were dead, get that PR up and make some money!
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    Trust,

Where are you pulling those year to year numbers from?

Don't chuck it in yet, seriously I'd hang on a bit.
    If you look at the quality of results google is returning, they're pretty bleak.

Chuck,like you, one of my sites got googlefried it still has pr and is finally once again showing backlinks but it lost over 2000 uniques a day, thats a heap of dollars I'm losing gone!
    I'm not too keen on tweaking anything yet until I get some indication of what the next update will bring.
    Right now, I can't see how tweaking is going to do a thing because most of the sites that occupy my previous held positions are either merchant sites (mmm...a worry) or spammy sites with things like no descriptions, only a title filled with hundreds of keywords...go figure.

A site I'm working on now is like pulling teeth, because every first page keyword position is held by a merchant or the odd homepage ( hey these are my pics of whatever) or a pdf doc.

If google didn't fry you last month be very thankful as either one of two things may happen;
    the trend for merchants only is going to spread across other keywords, then we're all up the creek looking for a paddle or the next google google index is going to be a ripper.

So give it a bit longer Chuck, either way it's just a matter of regrouping.

ABW Ambassador
    You say we would be up the creek, but can't we just squeeze in some content?

Also, if all else fails, turn one of those sites into a content site and get a ton of incoming links and a good PR... then link up.

I'd wait it out though. How many people on this board thought about giving up, didn't, and now they are glad they didn't. Then again, I don't know what is best in your particular situation.
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    I've seen a trend towards merchants getting higher listings in the SERPS over the past months, too. I don't compete on a product level basis since I don't have dedicated pages about products, so this isn't really affecting me, at least not yet.

But, if this trend in Google does continue, I can see where product related sites could have some problems in the future. Already, I've seen most affiliate sites weeded out of the top spots in many areas of Google searches.

Cripes, looks like a lot of work.

Have to go through every link, join the programs, change the links AND update the coupons all the time. Take a couple of months, at least, to get it changed over, I guess, even using search and replace. That is, even after putting it on your own host.

I personally wouldn't want to do the coupon stuff. How much time do you put into the updating and maintenance of the sites, especially the coupons?

I might want to bid but that is a consideration.

What hosting arrangements do you have and what does it cost in case someone wants to leave it there?

Sheese, you are heavily reliant on CJ. Doesn't that tell you something?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Big Chuck,

You've been around long enough to know that having your sites take a plunge for a couple of months means nothing these days. There are always new algos, and with new competition in the SE arena, all of the SEs are making big changes.

Sometimes decent sites fall through the cracks for a bit, but they usually come back. I think other recent events in your life have had an impact on how you feel right now. Just wait it out a bit. It won't hurt to leave them up, and work on them when you feel like it.

Take a break, do something else for awhile, give yourself a chance to regroup, then you'll be in a better position to make important decisions.

I wish you the best on whatever road you choose to take your journey...

Andy

[Correct spelling]

Chuck:

Best of luck whatever you decided to do, where ever you decide to go.

Chuck,

I think your Coupon site just needs a little work and SEO - everything's all on one page - if you had subpages I'm sure it would be better. In fact, I *think* it used to be better!

But.. sometimes sites don't work or go off the boil. I've got a list of 12 sites that I'm thinking of selling, mostly PR4. I just can't see a way of making them pay. But d'ya know what.. I just go and create more until I find something that works.

I don't know what all your sites are, but I'm guessing that you might have some with "hard" PageRank - the kind of PageRank you've sweated for. Others might have "soft" PageRank that you've given the pages without much difficulty. Keep anything with a "hard" PageRank no matter what.

Stuff is up and down in this game. You just gotta keep plugging away.

Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Chuck

I thought I was blanket banned by Google as well - they pretty much ignored ALL my sites for the past several months.

One of them started getting Google traffic again yesterday.

They're changing algorithms several times a week now, so it might be gone again tomorrow.

Wait it out for a bit and see.

And I wrote a CV today. (Leader's commiserations gratefully accepted...)

(Cheeseburger and fries, anyone?)

ABW Ambassador
    Ah c'mon Rad, pommies love/hate Aussies right? Target your home audience with our gear! Convert the prices to £££ and our stuff is dirt cheap!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And I wrote a CV today. (Leader's commiserations gratefully accepted...) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A CV?

Oh no...that's not UK-Code for a job application or a resume is it??
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CV?

Oh no...that's not UK-Code for a job application or a resume is it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think taking a break is good advice. I think starting over is good, too. I have a way to earn revenue with websites that does not include affiliate links. My new idea will tak at least a year or better to make a proffit, but is well worth the time. When I make enough to quit my day job I'll let you know.

The great thing about it is that I will not rely on "trusted third parties", and Google, and other search engines will not have as much of an impact on my traffic, or income. I'll stick with websites, and do away with affiliate network ads all together. I guess I aint quitting afterall, just changing strategies. It just pisses me off to think there is so much that controls my success or failure, apart from me, that this new found independence will be refreshing.

Just think: I don't have to worry about sales being tracked I won't have to worry about crooked advertisers, or parasites I won't have to worry about Google, pr, algorithyms, msn, INK, yahoo, or ppc! I don't even have to worry about copy cats! nor do I need to worry about epc, commission rates, and reversals!

Hell yeah! I'm on to something. Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Your the best... hey! abestweb!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast