Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hey there
    im just getting into affilating and the person im working with asked me to look into getting a datafeed setup. dunno how though
    im just wondering if anyone can tell me what a datafeed is (i think its an automator that'll setup the pages with the adds and links to the marketer) and a rough overview about how to set one up?

A day without light, is like... night.

ABW Ambassador
    A datafeed is a file from the merchants that contains information about their products. Typically, you'll get the name of product, web link, description of the product in each record in that datafeed.

The data feed in text file format, 1 line per record, can be used to create static html pages through web merge. That's what I'm doing now. You need to at least be able to read html to create the index template in detail template. I use web merge the same was as I would use ms word mail merge.

For example, in the html templates, you indicate where the name of the product appears in the generated web page using the [WM-FIELD] tags.

The datafeed can be in XML format. I am still figuring what to do with my XML data feeds for the moment so I can't help you on this yet. (I'm still very very new to data feeds)

Using a datafeed, you can generate hundreds of web pages in minutes.

Good luck

You can also create custom scripts to do the same thing for you automagically once every (however often the feed is updated). But you really have to be a (nerd, geek, etc) in order to go this way.

/me dons his taped-up BCGs and pocket protector..

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

HEY!!! You calling me a geek?

The easy part is getting the feed. The hard part is deciding how to use it.

Chris

ps....psanf, welcome to the board

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com, TigerDirect and many more.....

ok, well im assuming that i can get a data feed from whoever i want to by e-mailing whoever and asking for more info there. once i have it, then how do i use it? do i have to setup a program to run it, or write a script, or what?

A day without light, is like... night.

Hi!

You have to sale $5,000 a month to get them free from CJ and then you only get 5 merchants, as I understand it. Otherwise, you can pay $200 for a set up fee. I am working on getting the free ones if possible. I hear CJ data feeds are a pain in the kiester to work with.

I think you can get them free from a number of merchants. I think Tiger is one.

I got them from Pierced Body and have made about 800 links for their products using a combination of MSWorks and word pad etc. The search and replace is what makes it possible. But then, the links have to be sorted and put on the pages. This is time consuming but can be done.

I don't know about web merge. I'm interested in that but I hope you aren't stuck with their templates since they don't interest me. Not my style at all but you might like them. We could afford Web Merge if you are interested. Chris is working on getting it at a discount for us. I might really like you to try this since I am doing other things.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

We need a list of merchants who will provide free data feeds!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

As I understand it, you can write your own templates..

As Akiva stated in this thread, Essential Apparel is one of those.

Ifn yer looking into becoming a like me PSanf, here's a tutorial on generating static pages at fixed intervals from a dynamic source:
    http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/29/0.php

Uh Oh! I think he just gave you a very important link. Looks intimidating to me. LOL You should have fun.

Intimidating? Naaaah.. That only shows how to generate static html pages from a dynamic script. You still have to write the dynamic script.

I would suggest Webmonkey's PHP/MySQL Tutorial as a start into generating dynamic pages from a datasource (in this case MySQL, though you'll probably want to use fgetcsv() to read from a text file)

Oh, and here's an even more basic tutorial - PHP From the Ground Up.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by womanht:
    The data feed in text file format, 1 line per record, can be used to create static html pages through web merge....

The datafeed can be in XML format. I am still figuring what to do with my XML data feeds for the moment so I can't help you on this yet. (I'm still very very new to data feeds)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could I trouble you to point me to a vendor that uses XML feeds? I'm working on adding XML support to WebMerge and would love to be able to support XML affiliate feeds.

Thanks in advance -

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    I've been trying to get started with data feeds to find ways to make working with them in WebMerge even easier. I tried going to CJ but apparently they aren't taking new feed subscriptions until March.

Then I tried signing up with BackCountry.com to get a feed, but theur signup takes me to the CJ signup page. :\

I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious -- where can I get a sample feed?

Extra bonus points if you could also point me to vendors whose data feeds are in XML so I can add support for those.

Thanks in advance -

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge 2.2: Publish any database on any site

Richard , Contact Andy of TigerDirect , he can give his own feed ... Also Akiva of EssentialApparel.com has stated in this thread that they can give a datafeed separately from that of CJ .You can use both of it as a start until you get a CJ one in march ...

XML ... I think Amaxon have a XML feed. Join their associates program and you may find it ..

When can we expect the next version of WebMerge fine tuned for affiliate datafeeds ?? ...

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

PSanf welcome to ABW

There are some free data-feeds, they include:

Mondera - via Linkshare
    TigerDirect - via BeFree
    BackCountryStore.Com - Via CJ

These feeds all need some manipulation in order to function, as you will need something to generate web pages from them.

There are other feeds available for a fee, from SOME Linkshare Merchants, SOME CJ and BeFree Merchants, and SOME independent programs.

Many programs require knowledge of PHP and MySql in order to make them function.

Some other merchant programs offer tools to build static web pages, which is a good start for a beginner. CandlePeople.com has a great program, for a minimal cost. Their program builds over a thousand pages. Some knowledge of Perl is a help there.

If you want to do the Datafeed thing right, you may want to hire someone to help you with it. Data driven websites can be very sucessful...

God luck...

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

OK, I took a look at it. PSanf has no programming background other than html. Learning php right off would be a bit of a challenge. I have a Fortran background and while I could certainly use my prior knowledge to pick up the skill, it would be a pain in the kiester to write the programs. I guess, he needs a prewritten program. (I think, there is one for Tiger mentioned some where. I will have to look.)

I want to see him start with Tiger since the product line should, at least, interest him and I already have a very good URL for Tiger products. Also, I believe Andy to have honesty and integrity. I would hate to see him ripped off when he is starting.

Can you all guide him in that direction? Once he gets one site going, I will step out and whatever he picks next time....be it on his own little head. By then, he should have learned enough to cover his own nether region.

PSanf, I think you need to join Tiger's program at BeFree.

http://affiliates.befree.com/Affiliates/index.jsp

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 22, 2003 at 03:17 PM.]

I personally would recommend signing up with Andy directly through his in house tracking service than the BeFree service.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    cditty has a php script for running the TD feed.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

TigerDirect inhouse program signup link - http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/A...lication_h.asp

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Ray,<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I personally would recommend signing up with Andy directly through his in house tracking service than the BeFree service.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>why?

--
    scott@befree.com

Yep! Direct is the way to go. Thanks.

http://www.scripts4yoursite.com/df/tiger.htm

Here is the script but it says it works with Tiger Direct through BeFree. Wijll it work either way?

[This message was edited by SSanf on February 22, 2003 at 06:53 PM.]

Can't seem to add to the above. Anyway, my main concern is if he would be competing with a whole bunch of cookie cutter sites and if these pages can really be optimized.

This might be a big waste of time and money.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    SSanf,

There are templates, so how "cookie cutter" it is depends on how much time is put into modifying the templates. The pages can be optimized. Again just as when coding html, depends on how much effort is put into it.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You can sign up with BackcountryStore through CJ, and once you are signed up you can get their feed directly from them. They have a forum here and you can find more info on it there, along with contact info for Bryan (the AM).

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast