Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,205
    That rule is to never spend more than $5 on a single beer.

    Well, my beer store had a rack of Lambics (pun intended) just begging me to buy one.

    I broke down and spent $6 on one 355ml (12oz) bottle of Lindeman's Kriek Lambic. I could get 750ml for around $11.50, but didn't know what I was getting into.

    I wished I had! this was a religious experience! I spent 10 minutes just smelling it before I took my first sip. Very strong cherry aromas and flavors. Belgians know how to brew a good beer!

    I need to go back and buy the peach and raspberry varieties!
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

  2. #2
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    318
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weisinator:
    That rule is to never spend more than $5 on a single beer.

    Well, my beer store had a rack of Lambics (pun intended) just begging me to buy one.

    I broke down and spent $6 on one 355ml (12oz) bottle of Lindeman's Kriek Lambic. I could get 750ml for around $11.50, but didn't know what I was getting into.

    I wished I had! this was a religious experience! I spent 10 minutes just smelling it before I took my first sip. Very strong cherry aromas and flavors. Belgians know how to brew a good beer!

    I need to go back and buy the peach and raspberry varieties! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This may seem a little bias, but since my wife and I came from Ireland, a couple of pints go a log way,no carboation, and brewed with holy water. In PA&gt;&lt; they still sell beer by the case, so a case of Guiness or harp lager went for about $300, in NJ, you can one at a time, so, when good things happened, i opened a 6 pack for around $6.50 years ago, mother's used it to put some weight on the kids bones, but that's only my opinion, worth a nickle
    jj

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador Radegast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,978
    The Belgians put chocolate in beer and all kinds of weird stuff

    Try some Radegast if you want a truly religious beer experience...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    174
    Jersey Jim,

    Althought I'm of Italian heritage, I also love a good Guinness, Murphy's or Harp. I think it's the BEST!

    I have a Family in Milan that owns a Vineyard and some other interesting things, I wonder if I ever go to visit, will they make beer for me.LOL


    Kevin Andrews- GO WIRELESS
    http://www.bargaincellular.net

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador Paul_Ward's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Posts
    1,573
    When my eldest son reached 18 I gave him the sagest advice that a father could pass on to the next generation

    "Son, never buy any beer that's flavoured of anything but beer" - he still learned the hard way, he'd come home from university and we'd go to the store and he'd come back with a collection of exotics most of which would be unfinished.

    &lt;If I had all the money I'd ever spent on beer - I'd spend it on beer&gt;

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador darkstar7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    536
    Any man who has learned to savor his beer is allowed to break the rule once in a while. I myself love to savor a UK beer by the name of "Old Pecular". Not your normal sort of beer I'll tell you but good just the same.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

  7. #7
    Full Member dak142's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    386
    I Prefer Yuengling, it is a hometown favorite here. Oldest brewery in America, I live on the other side of towm from the brewery. Needless to say most of us around here were brought up on this stuff!

    http://www.yuengling.com/

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,205
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Ward:
    "Son, never buy any beer that's flavoured of anything but beer" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Blasphemy!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Ward:
    &lt;If I had all the money I'd ever spent on beer - I'd spend it on beer&gt; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Preach on!

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger23:
    a UK beer by the name of "Old Pecular". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Is that the one whose yeast produces a strong butterscotch flavor?
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador Paul_Ward's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Posts
    1,573
    http://www.theakstons.co.uk/beer/old_peculier/

    One thing bugs me about US beers is we hear about all these micro-breweries you have, but what can we buy in the UK? Bud, Miller and the other volume beers probably brewed in Holland anyway.

    Maybe I need to go on a fact finding trip.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Well next time your out to buy some beers,
    try a Leffe! (preferable a Blond Leffe)

    Lambic is ok but it scales nowhere near next to a Leffe ;-)

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,205
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Ward:
    One thing bugs me about US beers is we hear about all these micro-breweries you have, but what can we buy in the UK? Bud, Miller and the other volume beers probably brewed in Holland anyway.

    Maybe I need to go on a fact finding trip. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>People here drink Bud for the same reason people here eat at McDonald's: Madison Avenue.

    How to get the good stuff: www.ratebeer.com has a list of breweries the world over. They also have a brew exchange forum if you wish to trade beers with someone.

    Living across the pond might make you a less desirable trading partner due to costs, but I would imagine that someone's pockets will magically deepen when you produce something unique.

    Of course, your pockets also have to be pretty deep.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

  12. #12
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    318
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GOWIRELESS:
    Jersey Jim,

    Althought I'm of Italian heritage, I also love a good Guinness, Murphy's or Harp. I think it's the BEST!

    I have a Family in Milan that owns a Vineyard and some other interesting things, I wonder if I ever go to visit, will they make beer for me.LOL


    Kevin Andrews- GO WIRELESS
    http://www.bargaincellular.net <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hi,
    They make the best wines and aniset, though, Gallo was a favorite, maybe they aren'd made in Italy, but when i was overseas, i visit northern Italy, and the service, food and drinks were gret. The Italian people greeted American gi's well, not so in Paris, or spain or germany, they liked the almighty buck, as long as we didn't hang around.I lived in Fairview&lt;NJ for years, where the majority of people either came from Italy or still had family there, the Sons of San Pauolino, used our lrgion lot, for their festa, until we could get them the permission to have it on a county road, and i was asked to lift the Gelia, i probably misspelled that, they donate a lot of money for hospital equipment. Good people.
    my nickles worth.
    jj

  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,205
    I decided to stick to my own continent for my next fruit beer exercise: Pete's Strawberry Blonde Lager. It's inexpensive, too.

    It uses a "natural strawberry flavor extracts" instead of fermenting whole berries. It tastes like making Strawberry Kool-Aid with Coors instead of water.

    Not gonna do that again.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

  14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. You like Beer?
    By LancNit in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: January 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
  2. Beer Festival
    By charpaula in forum Virtual Family and Off-Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 1st, 2004, 11:45 AM
  3. Beer
    By appbizz in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 30th, 2003, 07:15 PM
  4. Favorite Beer?
    By josephmonuit in forum Voting Booth
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: June 26th, 2003, 08:55 AM
  5. Beer!
    By The Bar Manager in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 31st, 2002, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •