Hi everyone!!
    I have recently started fiddling around with Affiliate marketing. While I have had a bit of a curve learning HTML and Dreamweaver, I feel like I am ready to make some progress and hopefully make a little extra cash. Here are my questions:
    1. what is the the best type of site? Informational with Links, or Revenue oriented. Like a coupon site.

2. how do I go about getting traffic in the beginning?

3. How do I pick "Good" merchants?

Thanks for your patients.

Hi and welcome.

1_ Content that you enjoy and others may enjoy.

2_ Content that will keep them coming back.
    Use searchable key words that will rank your site higher than other like sites in the Search Engine game.

3_ Like you would for picking a ripe tomato at the supermarket.

Have fun.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Quality content is king, with a few text links links thrown in. as for good merchants look on the abestweb main page for trusted merchants. before you join a merchant type the merchants name + 1800 solutions if results show dont join

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyfalcon:
    before you join a merchant type the merchants name + 1800 solutions if results show dont join <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Can you explain this a little more? where would I type such a thing in?

Google search engine will work or any search engine actually. If 1800 solutions is partnered with a merchant it is useless to sign up with them since they will steal your web site visitors to their site using a drive by download that computer users had placed on thier machines by these people which should be illegal

180 solutions my error

Thanks for the info nyfalcon. Can you give me an example search string for a merchant that is "Tainted" and one that is not? I waould like to be sure I understand how to do it properly.
    thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Market Major,

Please use the search tool to find answers to your questions.

There is a wealth of imformation to all the answers you are seeking. All the questions you have asked have been covered in great detail ... It just takes some detective work with the search tool to find all the gems from some of the best in the biz.

Regards,
    Dave

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 1. what is the the best type of site? Informational with Links, or Revenue oriented. Like a coupon site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends if you want:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> _ Content that you enjoy and others may enjoy.

2_ Content that will keep them coming back.
    Use searchable key words that will rank your site higher than other like sites in the Search Engine game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or if you want to MAKE MONEY!

Revenue is King. Occasionally c*ntent manages to make money and starts calling itself king, but the Kingdom still belongs to Revenue. Traffic that loiters around but doesn't buy (the usual result of content) is a waste of bandwidth, and with a Revenue Site you get a lot less of that. It takes a lot less traffic to make decent money off a good Revenue site.

BUT--in order to make money, a Revenue Site shouldn't just be a list of links with no pitches or descriptions. For most categories (namely any that have any real competition in 'em), you need to get your viewers excited about the merchant and product.

The only real exception I know of, content-wise, that could work with consistency is if you use AdSense--and can get traffic that will actually click it instead of ignoring it. There's a few successful CPA-using c*ntent sites around, but they're still rare, at least from what I can determine.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader

Can you explain what a revenue site is? I am not entirely clear. Can you show me an expample of a revenue site? Does anyone teach on this topic?

I am just starting out and the gurus I have learned from teach content content content. I really hate writing so if there is a better way to make a living I'm all ears. I like to research - build sites etc but writing is for the birds.

Val
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

ABW Ambassador
    "a Revenue Site shouldn't just be a list of links with no pitches or descriptions"

So once you add some content (pitches/descriptions) or sales copy to the revenue site it can start making money

Revenue is money right? So if a content site makes money is it not a revenue site?

As far as what is king, content or sales site, it depends in who's hands it's in.

And really everybody has "content sites" Content being "The actual 'meat' of a document -- all of the words, images, and links which a user can read and interact with"

So anything on the page is content.

Trust - and that is exactly why I'm confused. Are they reffering to shopping mall site that have descritions of the products.

Karl - your site looks like a content site to me - what am I missing?

Val
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">

ABW Ambassador
    I think what Leader means is a content site being like something Karl has, phillyburbs.com and a sales site or "revenue" site being shopping sites like ones that promote merchants, coupon codes/free shipping deals/promotions and ones pushing products that merchants carry, stuff like that. To see examples just type in something like online coupons or just do a search for a product at Google and you'll find plenty of examples. Usually the ones going to those sites are more apt to be in a "buying mood". My shopping site deals mainly in coupons and promotions so people coming to my site are usually in the mood to shop and buy stuff.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the gurus I have learned from teach content content content <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it's enough to make me gag! Do they think the SEs are full of sales sites just because people think writing pitches is fun?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can you explain what a revenue site is? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay...when I say "content" I'm generally talking about informational or entertainment stuff. "Revenue" sites have blatant sales pitches and links to buy what's in the sales pitches.

But some will say that "content" is technically anything that's on a page. [Edit--Trust already did just that. I didn't see his post as I was writing this one.] Personally, though, I think it's like on TV; the verbiage that goes along with the ad images are part of the AD--NOT part of the show. Revenue sites have no "show." It's 100% ad, including any sales spin/pitch, product descriptions, etc.--and therefore are not content sites.

One thing I want to make clear: A good Revenue Site IS NOT just a banner or link farm. There IS supporting text, and not just the text provided in standard merchant links.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can you show me an example of a revenue site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, no. But if you type a popular product into Google you should be able to find a variety of affiliate sales sites. Look for the sites that have no info/entertainment content, and are using lots of affiliate links. You should see quite a few methods of making revenue sites in action--some good, and others that are just a waste of a good listing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I like to research - build sites etc but writing is for the birds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but in most cases things sell better if you write a pitch. You can use the merchant-provided descriptions from product links or datafeeds, but there still needs to be something unique enough on the pages to avoid the SEs "duplicate content" penalties. (To SEs, the "content" is whatever's on the page.)

I myself like to write, but I've found that coming up with enough informational-type material for a whole site (at least within a reasonable amount of time) is problematic. Plus it's a more cost-effective use of my time to make sales pages instead. So now I only do content when I'm bored.

But I've found that it's a lot easier to write pitches than it is to write articles. For one, the pitch doesn't have to be all that long, and secondly, it usually doesn't take an in-depth knowledge of the subject to write one. And when datafeeds are used, the actual product description comes from the merchant. IMO it usually helps to write at least some part of the page yourself, though, even when you use a feed.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader & Trusty are, as usual, right on.

We have a mall on our site, if you care to look, but you'll find many better examples by following Leader's suggestion (e.g. searching Google).

OK I think I found one
    http://www.babygenie.com.

By the way Karl - I love your site. Do you get your news info on a direct feed or are you constantly updating your site? It seems like tons of work.

I am so new to all of this - just trying to soak it all in -

Val
    Valerie

ABW Ambassador
    I have a dream that one day on the datapipeline of the Internet, the sons of content sites and the sons revenue sites will sit together at a table of brotherhood.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Val:

The overwhelming majority of our news is direct feed. We do a massive local udpate in the morning that is about 75% automated.

Weisinator:

ABW Ambassador
    Karl, the words of jest are rooted in truth. There's no reason why a revenue site can't have a side of content (or vice-versa).

Your site is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread